University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2011.

Casual, roundtable, me and three professors. They asked me what I was interested in and left it very open for me to talk about my interests. I went to talk to different labs and professors. They reviewed my GRE scores and college transcript. Because I took 2 years off between undergraduate school and graduate school we talked about this gap as well.

Department Administrator (Assistant to) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota in October 2013.

Sent resume and cover letter directly to the department head late in the process. Was asked to a panel interview of 6 people--department head was not one of them. Learned from the HR person that it was more or less a courtesy interview because one of the people on the panel knew me and vouched for me. It was a regretful performance on my part.

Junior Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2011.

I sent email cover letters with attached CV to Professors looking for scientists in labs at the UMN.
    I received an email within a week that he was interested. He asked me if he could call me for a quick interview. He called a few days later and discussed passed experience in prior lab. I was from another country so we spoke also about what was required to get me working there. I told him I needed a detailed offer letter with job description, salary and length of employment for my work visa. The conversation lasted about 45 min. He told me he would be in touch. He emailed me an offer letter within a week. I accepted within a week and we got the process going.

Interview Questions
    They were firm on salary. I asked for 40k and he said couldn't go higher than 30k... It was disappointing but I took it.

Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

Multiple interviews, leaders seem not to know direction they are going. Lots of middle management, without the right skills. Interview questions very standard. Some of them were in left field, could tell they were trying to deal with employee issues and wanted me to solve them.

Interview Questions
    asked for more and got partially what I wanted. I knew that going in, so aimed high.

Community Program Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

The process took about 5 weeks. I applied online and got a call about two weeks after. Went through two in-person interviews. The first one was with three supervisors, who I would be working under if I was to get the position. The second interview was with a PI and one of the supervisors from the first interview.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crookston, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crookston, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2013.

Fill out online applications and cover letter. The department head called me and we chatted over the phone. He already knew me, but we made an appointment to visit in person anyway at which point he offered me the appointment.

There was an offer, it was take it or leave it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Was lucky to have a connection for the position. I submitted by application and interviewed within the next 2 weeks and was notified of my hire within the next week. Quick turn-around.

Interview Questions
    • How would you use what you've learned and apply it to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2012.

I applied online and got a phone interview about a week later. There was nothing unexpected in the phone interview - they just clarified my skills and made sure that I was a good fit. I asked a lot of questions regarding what they expected of me and more specifics about the job. Soon after I learned that I'd gotten the position! Overall an easy process!

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. They just wanted to clarify my skills and make sure I was a good fit.   Answer Question
    NA

Program Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Questions
    • What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question
    Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Coordinator (Professional & Administrative - P&A Level) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2010.

Separate on-site interviews with different faculty members on site, also met or interviewed with other staff that I would be working with if I was given the job. Other interactions by phone and email during the consideration process.

Starting salary, position title, start date