University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014
Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.6

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Was lucky to have a connection for the position. I submitted by application and interviewed within the next 2 weeks and was notified of my hire within the next week. Quick turn-around.

Interview Questions
    • How would you use what you've learned and apply it to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2012.

I applied online and got a phone interview about a week later. There was nothing unexpected in the phone interview - they just clarified my skills and made sure that I was a good fit. I asked a lot of questions regarding what they expected of me and more specifics about the job. Soon after I learned that I'd gotten the position! Overall an easy process!

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. They just wanted to clarify my skills and make sure I was a good fit.   Answer Question
    NA

Program Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Questions
    • What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question
    Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Coordinator (Professional & Administrative - P&A Level) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2010.

Separate on-site interviews with different faculty members on site, also met or interviewed with other staff that I would be working with if I was given the job. Other interactions by phone and email during the consideration process.

Starting salary, position title, start date

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Few letters of recommendations from former mentors qualified me for this position as they were acquaintances with the PI. It took 2 weeks after initial contacts to receive an offer and paperwork from the HR.

No negotiation regarding the salary-benefits and insurance

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Applied online through official website, talked to future advisor through Skype before coming. My advisor is quite easy-going and didn't have too many questions since I don't speak English as first language. I received offer within 3 months

Graduate Research Assistant PhD Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

telephone interview. two professors vs me. questioned about previous research experiences, research interests, how did I know about UofM, long term career goal. very relaxed atmosphere, lasted about 20~30 minutes. get offer letter the next day of the interview.

not ranked as high as this institute

Junior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2010.

My initial communication began by emailing a research professor who emailed me back three weeks later telling me the email mysteriously took three weeks for her to receive. Although I saw this was a red flag, I was desperate for a job.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Applied through online system. Got an phone interview in 1 month. the phone talk is within 10 mins. Mainly about my previous research experience. The interviewer is pretty nice, no tricky questions, pretty informal talk. I think that the phone interview is mainly about testing my communication skills.

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2012.

It was pretty straightforward. I submitted my documents and they got back to me within the next few days. Had an interview with my current supervisor who asked standard questions. Got an offer within the next few days.