University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2015

2.6

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

Series of interviews: phone, first and second interviews. Was contacted unsolicited through Indeed.com and cleared schedule on short notice for on-campus interviews, which took nearly 4 hours total plus a 30-minute phone interview. Brought writing and presentation samples. Studied website for a minimum of 2 hours. The process is lengthy and sometimes you're simply being interviewed for EOE purposes because they already have someone in mind.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in the position   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2012.

Interview

Surprisingly quick, but the hiring manager had reached out to me as a contact since we were acquainted with each other professionally. That greatly expedited the process but I still had to speak with the hiring manager, her executive director, and had a group interview with the team before an offer was presented

Student Residence Hall Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morris, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Morris, MN).

Interview

You must be working for the residential life already as a Community Advisor. You get offered the chance to apply during the latter half of the fall semester. You need to fill out the online application. Once filled out, you will be prompted to sign up online for an interview time during winter training for current community advisors. You are given around 45 minutes for an interview. It is possible to finish the interview in 20 minutes. Expand on your answers using past experiences working in residential life. Once the interview is complete, you will be asked if you have any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify a communication breakdown on your staff and how would you rectify it?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in April 2011.

Interview

Casual, roundtable, me and three professors. They asked me what I was interested in and left it very open for me to talk about my interests. I went to talk to different labs and professors. They reviewed my GRE scores and college transcript. Because I took 2 years off between undergraduate school and graduate school we talked about this gap as well.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in studying?   1 Answer

Department Administrator (Assistant to) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Sent resume and cover letter directly to the department head late in the process. Was asked to a panel interview of 6 people--department head was not one of them. Learned from the HR person that it was more or less a courtesy interview because one of the people on the panel knew me and vouched for me. It was a regretful performance on my part.

Junior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2011.

Interview

I sent email cover letters with attached CV to Professors looking for scientists in labs at the UMN.
    I received an email within a week that he was interested. He asked me if he could call me for a quick interview. He called a few days later and discussed passed experience in prior lab. I was from another country so we spoke also about what was required to get me working there. I told him I needed a detailed offer letter with job description, salary and length of employment for my work visa. The conversation lasted about 45 min. He told me he would be in touch. He emailed me an offer letter within a week. I accepted within a week and we got the process going.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were firm on salary. I asked for 40k and he said couldn't go higher than 30k... It was disappointing but I took it.

Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

Multiple interviews, leaders seem not to know direction they are going. Lots of middle management, without the right skills. Interview questions very standard. Some of them were in left field, could tell they were trying to deal with employee issues and wanted me to solve them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

asked for more and got partially what I wanted. I knew that going in, so aimed high.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

The process took about 5 weeks. I applied online and got a call about two weeks after. Went through two in-person interviews. The first one was with three supervisors, who I would be working under if I was to get the position. The second interview was with a PI and one of the supervisors from the first interview.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crookston, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Crookston, MN) in September 2013.

Interview

Fill out online applications and cover letter. The department head called me and we chatted over the phone. He already knew me, but we made an appointment to visit in person anyway at which point he offered me the appointment.

Negotiation

There was an offer, it was take it or leave it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Was lucky to have a connection for the position. I submitted by application and interviewed within the next 2 weeks and was notified of my hire within the next week. Quick turn-around.

Interview Questions

• How would you use what you've learned and apply it to this position?   Answer Question