University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015
Updated Mar 5, 2015

2.6

Instructor, College of Science and Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Minnesota (Duluth, MN).

Interview

I was already familiar with the faculty and was offered the job without an official interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no real negotiation. The union negotiates your salary and raise.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Applied to program and selected based on undergraduate academic record

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Administrative Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions

• It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   1 Answer
    • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better.

You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at ....

You won't know until you ask

Figure out your BATNA

Info Tech Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Questions

• I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

First an application comparable to other graduate engineering programs. No further feedback until acceptance. Then prospective weekend (fun, boozy).

Interview Questions

• Resume-based questions from a few profs when most were courting you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nonexistent.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

Simply fill out a form of your preference for application. Soon or later when positions are available, you will be contacted and asked if you are still interested in being a TA. The position of which course is highly based on your course grade.

Interview Questions

• What is a transistor and how it works? (for semiconductor course)   Answer Question

Department Administrator (Assistant to) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Sent resume and cover letter directly to the department head late in the process. Was asked to a panel interview of 6 people--department head was not one of them. Learned from the HR person that it was more or less a courtesy interview because one of the people on the panel knew me and vouched for me. It was a regretful performance on my part.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Crookston, MN) in September 2013.

Interview

Fill out online applications and cover letter. The department head called me and we chatted over the phone. He already knew me, but we made an appointment to visit in person anyway at which point he offered me the appointment.

Negotiation

There was an offer, it was take it or leave it.

Marketing Intern Interview

Interview

Online application, followed by in-person interview