University of Minnesota

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.6

Visitor Relations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Online or in-person application, on-site interview.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Saw the posting online, applied through umn portal. Emailed the prof mentioned in umn portal. Got a reply within a week, then a phone call was set up. The next week a meeting was set up and withing 4 days, they gave me the offer.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

The only way to submit your resume is on-line. However, it helps to have knowledge from the various departments one is interested in working in. I volunteered for many years in various capacities in order to be known before I interviewed for my position. It's a fast process once you are accepted. Renewal contract every year can be stressful.

Interview Questions
    • Are you interested in the pursuit of your doctorate degree?   Answer Question
    No, it's a contract and there is no ability for negotiation.

Scientist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Long interview to meet the members of the lab and tour the facility lasting around 2 hours. Able to see many hands on activities to gauge reaction and interest. Important to work well with the team and ask questions.

Principal Secretary and Office Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in February 2013.

After applying on -line, I was contacted approximately 2 weeks later to schedule an interview . At my interview (friday). I was told that I would hear the following Mon/Tuesday if I would be called back for a second interview with director. Denial email sent 1.5 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions... how do you resolve conflict, how do you prioritize work with upcoming deadlines... what would you do if you had 2 people come to you needing their work done at the same time....   Answer Question

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Minnesota.

The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2012.

It was pretty straightforward. I submitted my documents and they got back to me within the next few days. Had an interview with my current supervisor who asked standard questions. Got an offer within the next few days.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

The interview process for the cashier position at the University of Minnesota- University Dining Services is fair and easy. To get the job, you have to be a student of the University, either part time of full time and then have good communications skills. Basic math skills are required too , for some positions.

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again.

All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Questions
    • How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.