University of Minnesota Interview Questions & Reviews

76 interviews

2.6

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2012.

Two interviews, with two different sets of people -- 2nd interview followed a couple weeks after 1st interview. Questions were pretty common, no surprises. Couldn't get any clarity from the HR group as to who I would be interviewing with -- even on the day-of. That was frustrating. Decision time: took about a week for them to contact me.

Wasn't able to negotiate in light of budget constraints. In hindsight, perhaps I should have walked away, but I am focused on the opportunity to learn to apply my skills in a new industry.

Recruiting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Knew an internal employee. They contacted me and asked me to apply and interview. The department flew me up for an interview. I interviewed with the entire department. Really standard questions. They made an offer about a week later. I was waiting on another offer but eventually took the position.

Info Tech Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Questions
    • I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   View Answer
    There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2009.

I applied for the position through the graduate school and my specific department in late December and was contacted about acceptance in March, fairly early for a graduate school. The application included a personal statement and a statement of diversity (i.e. how I would contribute to the University's diversity). I got a competitive offer, visited the school in person (visit was paid for by the school) and decided to accept the offer. I started graduate school the following August.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't sure how to answer the diversity question because I am not a minority in most situations. I acknowledged that in the statement and discussed how my educational experience would give me unique insights, another type of 'diversity.'   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2010.

After applying through the University's HR website, I was invited to interview before a 4-person selection committee, 3 members were from the office that was hiring with the 4th from a related office. They were obviously asking the same questions of each interviewee but the questions were applicable to the specific position that I was interviewing for. Because of the standardization, they didn't ask follow-up questions or give much feedback, and it was a challenge to show personality and make connections with each person but possible with conscious effort.

The second interview was much more informal and was basically a chat in a coffee shop to make sure I was a good fit for the office culture. I toured the office and was introduced to the full team. I believe they did this with one other final candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Always ALWAYS have a specific answer to why you want to work at the U of M, school/department, and office.   Answer Question
    The initial offer was fair enough and I was so desperate and inexperienced that I didn't even try to negotiate.

Visitor Relations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Online or in-person application, on-site interview.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

First an application comparable to other graduate engineering programs. No further feedback until acceptance. Then prospective weekend (fun, boozy).

Interview Questions
    • Resume-based questions from a few profs when most were courting you.   Answer Question
    Nonexistent.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Simply fill out a form of your preference for application. Soon or later when positions are available, you will be contacted and asked if you are still interested in being a TA. The position of which course is highly based on your course grade.

Interview Questions
    • What is a transistor and how it works? (for semiconductor course)   Answer Question

Student Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Was incredibly easy. Basically if they ask you to come in for a second interview after the phone interview you have the job.

No negotiation