University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2012.

I applied online and got a phone interview about a week later. There was nothing unexpected in the phone interview - they just clarified my skills and made sure that I was a good fit. I asked a lot of questions regarding what they expected of me and more specifics about the job. Soon after I learned that I'd gotten the position! Overall an easy process!

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. They just wanted to clarify my skills and make sure I was a good fit.   Answer Question
    NA

Student Worker Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in January 2012.

There was one interview. Behavioral and resume review. Got back within 3 business days with an offer for the Project Management Assistant with Office of Information Technology

No negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

I initially applied through the UMN employment site, which allows you to directly upload all your documents (CV, cover letter, etc.). Within several days I was emailed to set up an interview time. Several days later I had my interview on site and was then given a tour of our building. Within a week I was called with notification that I was given the position! Email communication was always very prompt.

Interview Questions
    • As I was working in a department within the medical school, many questions involved patient privacy within clinical trials, familiarities with HIPPA guidelines, etc.   Answer Question

Student Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Was incredibly easy. Basically if they ask you to come in for a second interview after the phone interview you have the job.

No negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

At first it was with a phone interview. Then there was a 2 hour meeting in person broken up into 4 15 minute sessions with breaks in between. One meeting was one-on-one. One was with a small group, then a larger group, and a larger group. They showed me around and were very friendly. This was a different interview than I expected, but it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • They described a typical situation that comes up for the administrative position and asked how I would handle it.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2011.

I emailed professors about possible open positions in their lab, and communicated via email to organize an interview. A single one on one interview followed, both times a job offer was made on the spot. One position was unpaid initially, with pay starting later on, and the other job was a work study position at the University.

Undergraduate Programs Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2011.

I submitted my resume and a cover letter for the vacancy when it was announced via the department's list serve. I got a call back to set up a face to face interview. I didn't receive a job offer initially but the following semester I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question was how would I apply student development theory to my everyday work with undergraduate students. There isn't a real right or wrong answer but I think the interviewer was looking to see if you were aware of applicable theories that might help guide you in working with a diverse student population   Answer Question
    there wasn't really a negotiation phase just the offer letter

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2011.

Long response wait time. Interview was simple.

N/A

IST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2011.

One on on interview.