University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis, MN

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.4

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Interview with principal investigator and professors funding the research. Typical interview, lasted one hour. Offer was made on the spot. I had to deliver two research presentations. One presentation was made to a group of professors and lab principal investigators. The second presentation was made to a group of graduate school students.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This was for the position to be the division administrator for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Applied online and got an interview. It was a panel interview with HR, current GI physician, two different administrators and the interview only lasted about an hour or so. I was told there are three rounds total. Second round is with more people and final round is with the department head. I didn't get invited to move forward. My experience is only with first round of interviews. The questions were all situation based. More on team building and very high emphasis on problem solving. All types of problems: people, technology, grant etc. be prepare to come in with examples of how you solve problems.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your grant experience   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult boss   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to mediate with direct reports (i.e. they were not getting a long)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project that you owned and accomplished well   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you implemented a system or process at a previous workplace.   Answer Question

Principal Accounts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was about 45 minutes long in a conference room. This was a one on one interview and a fairly casual and laid back event. The interviewer was very kind and conversational. They ended up hiring another candidate but I appreciated that they got back to me (other people might disagree). I thought I was in the running for the position and I know they called one of my references.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult co-worker?   1 Answer

Usability Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. The questions didn't seem difficult and were only asked to assess schedule and interest fit. As a student interested in pursuing the field of technical communications and usability, it seemed as if they were inclined to give me the job based on my appreciation for the position.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

45-Minute phone interview. The supervisor was very particular about what the job entailed and made it clear the kind of person she need; someone hardworking and with a good attitude. It was very important to her that the peoples hired where not in it only for the money.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

Series of interviews: phone, first and second interviews. Was contacted unsolicited through Indeed.com and cleared schedule on short notice for on-campus interviews, which took nearly 4 hours total plus a 30-minute phone interview. Brought writing and presentation samples. Studied website for a minimum of 2 hours. The process is lengthy and sometimes you're simply being interviewed for EOE purposes because they already have someone in mind.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in the position   1 Answer

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Administrative Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions

• It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   1 Answer
    • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better. You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at .... You won't know until you ask Figure out your BATNA

Info Tech Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Questions

• I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Parking Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

It took a couple weeks to hear from the hiring manager after I applied online. I was part of a group interview with 3-4 other students. Interview was very relaxed and easy. Stereotypical interview questions. The interview only involved around 5-7 questions since each person had to answer individually.