University of Minnesota

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Professional Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions

• It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   View Answer
  • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better.

You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at ....

You won't know until you ask

Figure out your BATNA

Community Advisor Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2010.

Interview Details – Asks a lot of questions about diversity and acceptance. Also asks about times when you've worked through difficult situations and your method for building community.

Interview Question – The most difficult was talking about how diversity impacts the community and how you would handle a situation where students weren't open to accepting others.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Assistant Scientist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

Interview Details – I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Question – None really, the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details – Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Recruiting Specialist Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Interview Details – Knew an internal employee. They contacted me and asked me to apply and interview. The department flew me up for an interview. I interviewed with the entire department. Really standard questions. They made an offer about a week later. I was waiting on another offer but eventually took the position.

Interview Question – How do you handle co-workers gossip?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Analyst Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews, with two different sets of people -- 2nd interview followed a couple weeks after 1st interview. Questions were pretty common, no surprises. Couldn't get any clarity from the HR group as to who I would be interviewing with -- even on the day-of. That was frustrating. Decision time: took about a week for them to contact me.

Negotiation Details – Wasn't able to negotiate in light of budget constraints. In hindsight, perhaps I should have walked away, but I am focused on the opportunity to learn to apply my skills in a new industry.

Info Tech Professional Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

Interview Details – There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Question – I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through the graduate school and my specific department in late December and was contacted about acceptance in March, fairly early for a graduate school. The application included a personal statement and a statement of diversity (i.e. how I would contribute to the University's diversity). I got a competitive offer, visited the school in person (visit was paid for by the school) and decided to accept the offer. I started graduate school the following August.

Interview Question – I wasn't sure how to answer the diversity question because I am not a minority in most situations. I acknowledged that in the statement and discussed how my educational experience would give me unique insights, another type of 'diversity.'   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2010.

Interview Details – After applying through the University's HR website, I was invited to interview before a 4-person selection committee, 3 members were from the office that was hiring with the 4th from a related office. They were obviously asking the same questions of each interviewee but the questions were applicable to the specific position that I was interviewing for. Because of the standardization, they didn't ask follow-up questions or give much feedback, and it was a challenge to show personality and make connections with each person but possible with conscious effort.

The second interview was much more informal and was basically a chat in a coffee shop to make sure I was a good fit for the office culture. I toured the office and was introduced to the full team. I believe they did this with one other final candidate.

Interview Question – Always ALWAYS have a specific answer to why you want to work at the U of M, school/department, and office.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The initial offer was fair enough and I was so desperate and inexperienced that I didn't even try to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Minnesota

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Minnesota interview questions and advice in Minneapolis, MN. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Minnesota employees and interview candidates.