University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis, MN

Updated May 31, 2015

2.6

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

Series of interviews: phone, first and second interviews. Was contacted unsolicited through Indeed.com and cleared schedule on short notice for on-campus interviews, which took nearly 4 hours total plus a 30-minute phone interview. Brought writing and presentation samples. Studied website for a minimum of 2 hours. The process is lengthy and sometimes you're simply being interviewed for EOE purposes because they already have someone in mind.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in the position   1 Answer

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Administrative Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions

• It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   1 Answer
    • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better.

You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at ....

You won't know until you ask

Figure out your BATNA

Info Tech Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Questions

• I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Department Administrator (Assistant to) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Sent resume and cover letter directly to the department head late in the process. Was asked to a panel interview of 6 people--department head was not one of them. Learned from the HR person that it was more or less a courtesy interview because one of the people on the panel knew me and vouched for me. It was a regretful performance on my part.

Accounts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2013.

Interview

The job interview process is very smooth. This job involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews.They emailed me to have an interview with the manager. I did, and they told me result the next day.

Visitor Relations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2013.

Interview

Online or in-person application, on-site interview.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

Principal Secretary and Office Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2013.

Interview

After applying on -line, I was contacted approximately 2 weeks later to schedule an interview . At my interview (friday). I was told that I would hear the following Mon/Tuesday if I would be called back for a second interview with director. Denial email sent 1.5 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions... how do you resolve conflict, how do you prioritize work with upcoming deadlines... what would you do if you had 2 people come to you needing their work done at the same time....   Answer Question

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Questions

• I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.