University of Minnesota Interview Questions & Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated May 20, 2014
Updated May 20, 2014
40 interviews

2.6

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Junior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2010.

My initial communication began by emailing a research professor who emailed me back three weeks later telling me the email mysteriously took three weeks for her to receive. Although I saw this was a red flag, I was desperate for a job.

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2012.

It was pretty straightforward. I submitted my documents and they got back to me within the next few days. Had an interview with my current supervisor who asked standard questions. Got an offer within the next few days.

Administrative Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

I submitted an application in November and didn't hear back until December. The interview process took 2 weeks, but once you hear back, it moves quickly. There are a lot of busy schedule to coordinate. So timing can be difficult. I applied online, did research, reached out via LinkedIn

Interview Questions
    • It takes time to learn and get acclimated to the University. What are you plans here with the university? (i.e. will you stay for the long haul)   View Answer
    • Because this is a new position, how do you see yourself in this position?   View Answer
    There isn't much you can negotiate because it's union. They have a formula they used to figure out what they can offer you. If I had to do it again, I would clearly ask what they used to consider into this calculation. Ask for specifics, like "did you notice my certificate in ____?" Or "did you see that I am a member of ___ and completed continuing education?" then from there start your negotiation. Research is BIG at the U. So really show that you add value to the U. The pay is lower than private sectors, but the benefits and job security is much better.

You can only get a standard 3% salary increase per year afterward. Therefore, it's important to take time in negotiation and really get what you want. Ask for it. Other perks are available too. Working from home, flex time, start early, work longer days and take Friday off etc. just not salary. If they won't give you the salary you want. Ask for time to think about it. Then come back with what you want and re-negotiate. Don't cave. It's a lot of work just to get you to this phase, so even if you feel like you want this job, take time to think clearly. All they can do is say no to one specific request. Like no, you can't start at 6 AM, but you can at ....

You won't know until you ask

Figure out your BATNA

Community Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2010.

Asks a lot of questions about diversity and acceptance. Also asks about times when you've worked through difficult situations and your method for building community.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was talking about how diversity impacts the community and how you would handle a situation where students weren't open to accepting others.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in June 2010.

Spoke with a professor whom had interesting research and became employed in their lab after asking

Interview Questions
    Find someone you like who is well respected and does work interesting to you

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2012.

Two interviews, with two different sets of people -- 2nd interview followed a couple weeks after 1st interview. Questions were pretty common, no surprises. Couldn't get any clarity from the HR group as to who I would be interviewing with -- even on the day-of. That was frustrating. Decision time: took about a week for them to contact me.

Wasn't able to negotiate in light of budget constraints. In hindsight, perhaps I should have walked away, but I am focused on the opportunity to learn to apply my skills in a new industry.

Recruiting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Knew an internal employee. They contacted me and asked me to apply and interview. The department flew me up for an interview. I interviewed with the entire department. Really standard questions. They made an offer about a week later. I was waiting on another offer but eventually took the position.

Interview Questions

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!