University of Minnesota

2.6

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again.

All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Questions
    • How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

The interview process for the cashier position at the University of Minnesota- University Dining Services is fair and easy. To get the job, you have to be a student of the University, either part time of full time and then have good communications skills. Basic math skills are required too , for some positions.

Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

Multiple interviews, leaders seem not to know direction they are going. Lots of middle management, without the right skills. Interview questions very standard. Some of them were in left field, could tell they were trying to deal with employee issues and wanted me to solve them.

Interview Questions
    asked for more and got partially what I wanted. I knew that going in, so aimed high.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Spoke to many research professors until one hired me.

None.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at University of Minnesota in August 2012.

Two interviews, with two different sets of people -- 2nd interview followed a couple weeks after 1st interview. Questions were pretty common, no surprises. Couldn't get any clarity from the HR group as to who I would be interviewing with -- even on the day-of. That was frustrating. Decision time: took about a week for them to contact me.

Wasn't able to negotiate in light of budget constraints. In hindsight, perhaps I should have walked away, but I am focused on the opportunity to learn to apply my skills in a new industry.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2012.

I applied online and got a phone interview about a week later. There was nothing unexpected in the phone interview - they just clarified my skills and made sure that I was a good fit. I asked a lot of questions regarding what they expected of me and more specifics about the job. Soon after I learned that I'd gotten the position! Overall an easy process!

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected. They just wanted to clarify my skills and make sure I was a good fit.   Answer Question
    NA

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

I initially applied through the UMN employment site, which allows you to directly upload all your documents (CV, cover letter, etc.). Within several days I was emailed to set up an interview time. Several days later I had my interview on site and was then given a tour of our building. Within a week I was called with notification that I was given the position! Email communication was always very prompt.

Interview Questions
    • As I was working in a department within the medical school, many questions involved patient privacy within clinical trials, familiarities with HIPPA guidelines, etc.   Answer Question

Student Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Was incredibly easy. Basically if they ask you to come in for a second interview after the phone interview you have the job.

No negotiation

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2011.

I emailed professors about possible open positions in their lab, and communicated via email to organize an interview. A single one on one interview followed, both times a job offer was made on the spot. One position was unpaid initially, with pay starting later on, and the other job was a work study position at the University.