University of Minnesota

www.umn.edu

University of Minnesota Interview Questions & Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated May 20, 2014

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Info Tech Professional Interview

Info Tech Professional
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

Interview Details – There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Question – I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through the graduate school and my specific department in late December and was contacted about acceptance in March, fairly early for a graduate school. The application included a personal statement and a statement of diversity (i.e. how I would contribute to the University's diversity). I got a competitive offer, visited the school in person (visit was paid for by the school) and decided to accept the offer. I started graduate school the following August.

Interview Question – I wasn't sure how to answer the diversity question because I am not a minority in most situations. I acknowledged that in the statement and discussed how my educational experience would give me unique insights, another type of 'diversity.'   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2010.

Interview Details – After applying through the University's HR website, I was invited to interview before a 4-person selection committee, 3 members were from the office that was hiring with the 4th from a related office. They were obviously asking the same questions of each interviewee but the questions were applicable to the specific position that I was interviewing for. Because of the standardization, they didn't ask follow-up questions or give much feedback, and it was a challenge to show personality and make connections with each person but possible with conscious effort.

The second interview was much more informal and was basically a chat in a coffee shop to make sure I was a good fit for the office culture. I toured the office and was introduced to the full team. I believe they did this with one other final candidate.

Interview Question – Always ALWAYS have a specific answer to why you want to work at the U of M, school/department, and office.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The initial offer was fair enough and I was so desperate and inexperienced that I didn't even try to negotiate.

Visitor Relations Representative Interview

Visitor Relations Representative
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Interview Details – Online or in-person application, on-site interview.

Interview Question – None out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Student Development Representative Interview

Student Development Representative
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Interview Details – Was incredibly easy. Basically if they ask you to come in for a second interview after the phone interview you have the job.

Interview Question – Do you like telemarketers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Accounts Assistant Interview

Accounts Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2013.

Interview Details – The job interview process is very smooth. This job involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews.They emailed me to have an interview with the manager. I did, and they told me result the next day.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process for the cashier position at the University of Minnesota- University Dining Services is fair and easy. To get the job, you have to be a student of the University, either part time of full time and then have good communications skills. Basic math skills are required too , for some positions.

Interview Question – background check   Answer Question

Usher Interview

Usher
Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2009.

Interview Details – My initial communication with the supervisors at Ted Mann Concert Hall was via email, and soon after I was invited to take a tour and have an informal interview. The House Managers were courteous and well-spoken, and were very direct. The interview was short, and I didn't have a clear idea of how they felt about me.

Interview Question – What do you feel has best prepared you to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

Interview Details – I initially applied through the UMN employment site, which allows you to directly upload all your documents (CV, cover letter, etc.). Within several days I was emailed to set up an interview time. Several days later I had my interview on site and was then given a tour of our building. Within a week I was called with notification that I was given the position! Email communication was always very prompt.

Interview Question – As I was working in a department within the medical school, many questions involved patient privacy within clinical trials, familiarities with HIPPA guidelines, etc.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in January 2009.

Interview Details – Submit your application, wait for an email invitation from the head of the clinic. They will ask you to fly in for a full day interview, where you will interview with almost every one of the full-time faculty. If you've made it to this point, they are mostly just looking at if they can get along with you and if you have a sincere interest in working for the clinic.

Interview Question – What is your theoretical orientation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, and I got the feeling that negotiating was not an option. The clinic does not have much income.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Minnesota