University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated May 31, 2015

2.6

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The interview process went well overall. Please be prepared for both a behavioral and technical interview with specific questions on trends, university objectives, systems and previous expertise and knowledge. Know the organizational objectives, key players, structure and ask good questions. They have great opportunities across the organization.

Interview Questions

• I cannot think of any unexpected questions during this interview.   Answer Question

The compensation was lower than last position within a large healthcare organization.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2012.

Interview

Surprisingly quick, but the hiring manager had reached out to me as a contact since we were acquainted with each other professionally. That greatly expedited the process but I still had to speak with the hiring manager, her executive director, and had a group interview with the team before an offer was presented

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2012.

Interview

It was pretty straightforward. I submitted my documents and they got back to me within the next few days. Had an interview with my current supervisor who asked standard questions. Got an offer within the next few days.

Executive Office & Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by one of the Program Managers to set up an interview date and time via email. My first interview was on a Monday with the Executive Director. My second interview was scheduled for Friday of the same week with his executive staff - one Project Manager, one Program Manager, and one Manager of Technology Services. My third and final interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday with the Executive Director again.

All four individuals were extremely professional, pleasant, and direct. Their various personalities were genuinely expressed throughout the interview process, and after working with them for a month, I know that they were being authentic during the interviews. Their primary interests during the interviews were to be certain that (a) I could not only do the job well, but also be a good fit for their team - my hobbies, interests, and life outlook were important to all of them; and (b) I could interact well with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities across various situations.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have in dealing/interacting with people of color, minorities, and/or various cultures?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Since I would be working for a specific unit/department, their offer was made with what was remaining in their annual budget after the previous permanent employee left and after having retained a temporary employee for three months. In addition, there is a union that dictates wages based upon job title/description and number of years of service within that field.

Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

Multiple interviews, leaders seem not to know direction they are going. Lots of middle management, without the right skills. Interview questions very standard. Some of them were in left field, could tell they were trying to deal with employee issues and wanted me to solve them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

asked for more and got partially what I wanted. I knew that going in, so aimed high.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview process for the cashier position at the University of Minnesota- University Dining Services is fair and easy. To get the job, you have to be a student of the University, either part time of full time and then have good communications skills. Basic math skills are required too , for some positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Spoke to many research professors until one hired me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2012.

Interview

Two interviews, with two different sets of people -- 2nd interview followed a couple weeks after 1st interview. Questions were pretty common, no surprises. Couldn't get any clarity from the HR group as to who I would be interviewing with -- even on the day-of. That was frustrating. Decision time: took about a week for them to contact me.

Negotiation

Wasn't able to negotiate in light of budget constraints. In hindsight, perhaps I should have walked away, but I am focused on the opportunity to learn to apply my skills in a new industry.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2012.

Interview

I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview about a week later. There was nothing unexpected in the phone interview - they just clarified my skills and made sure that I was a good fit. I asked a lot of questions regarding what they expected of me and more specifics about the job. Soon after I learned that I'd gotten the position! Overall an easy process!

Interview Questions

• There was nothing unexpected. They just wanted to clarify my skills and make sure I was a good fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA