University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

2.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2010.

Knew an internal employee. They contacted me and asked me to apply and interview. The department flew me up for an interview. I interviewed with the entire department. Really standard questions. They made an offer about a week later. I was waiting on another offer but eventually took the position.

Info Tech Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2013.

There was only one interview. It was with a full professor and two other post-doc graduate students. The interview was very friendly and lasted a little over an hour. Most of the questions were aimed at inquiring about where I see myself being the most effective. A lot of time was spent explaining the nature of the work I would be involved with. They gave no indication at the end about if they were leaning toward hiring me or not.

Interview Questions
    • I found the most difficult question was simply: "What are your constraints?" It was harder to think about and answer that than a straight question about greatest weakness or shortcoming.   View Answer
    There was essentially no negotiation. This employer sets a fixed hourly rate for part time positions.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2009.

I applied for the position through the graduate school and my specific department in late December and was contacted about acceptance in March, fairly early for a graduate school. The application included a personal statement and a statement of diversity (i.e. how I would contribute to the University's diversity). I got a competitive offer, visited the school in person (visit was paid for by the school) and decided to accept the offer. I started graduate school the following August.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't sure how to answer the diversity question because I am not a minority in most situations. I acknowledged that in the statement and discussed how my educational experience would give me unique insights, another type of 'diversity.'   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2010.

After applying through the University's HR website, I was invited to interview before a 4-person selection committee, 3 members were from the office that was hiring with the 4th from a related office. They were obviously asking the same questions of each interviewee but the questions were applicable to the specific position that I was interviewing for. Because of the standardization, they didn't ask follow-up questions or give much feedback, and it was a challenge to show personality and make connections with each person but possible with conscious effort.

The second interview was much more informal and was basically a chat in a coffee shop to make sure I was a good fit for the office culture. I toured the office and was introduced to the full team. I believe they did this with one other final candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Always ALWAYS have a specific answer to why you want to work at the U of M, school/department, and office.   Answer Question
    The initial offer was fair enough and I was so desperate and inexperienced that I didn't even try to negotiate.

Visitor Relations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2013.

Online or in-person application, on-site interview.

Student Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in November 2011.

Was incredibly easy. Basically if they ask you to come in for a second interview after the phone interview you have the job.

No negotiation

Accounts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2013.

The job interview process is very smooth. This job involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews.They emailed me to have an interview with the manager. I did, and they told me result the next day.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in September 2012.

The interview process for the cashier position at the University of Minnesota- University Dining Services is fair and easy. To get the job, you have to be a student of the University, either part time of full time and then have good communications skills. Basic math skills are required too , for some positions.

Usher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Minnesota in March 2009.

My initial communication with the supervisors at Ted Mann Concert Hall was via email, and soon after I was invited to take a tour and have an informal interview. The House Managers were courteous and well-spoken, and were very direct. The interview was short, and I didn't have a clear idea of how they felt about me.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate anything.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in December 2011.

I initially applied through the UMN employment site, which allows you to directly upload all your documents (CV, cover letter, etc.). Within several days I was emailed to set up an interview time. Several days later I had my interview on site and was then given a tour of our building. Within a week I was called with notification that I was given the position! Email communication was always very prompt.

Interview Questions
    • As I was working in a department within the medical school, many questions involved patient privacy within clinical trials, familiarities with HIPPA guidelines, etc.   Answer Question