University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minnesota

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.4

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Interview with principal investigator and professors funding the research. Typical interview, lasted one hour. Offer was made on the spot. I had to deliver two research presentations. One presentation was made to a group of professors and lab principal investigators. The second presentation was made to a group of graduate school students.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This was for the position to be the division administrator for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Applied online and got an interview. It was a panel interview with HR, current GI physician, two different administrators and the interview only lasted about an hour or so. I was told there are three rounds total. Second round is with more people and final round is with the department head. I didn't get invited to move forward. My experience is only with first round of interviews. The questions were all situation based. More on team building and very high emphasis on problem solving. All types of problems: people, technology, grant etc. be prepare to come in with examples of how you solve problems.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your grant experience   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult boss   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to mediate with direct reports (i.e. they were not getting a long)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project that you owned and accomplished well   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you implemented a system or process at a previous workplace.   Answer Question

Principal Accounts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was about 45 minutes long in a conference room. This was a one on one interview and a fairly casual and laid back event. The interviewer was very kind and conversational. They ended up hiring another candidate but I appreciated that they got back to me (other people might disagree). I thought I was in the running for the position and I know they called one of my references.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult co-worker?   1 Answer

Student Residence Hall Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morris, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Morris, MN).

Interview

You must be working for the residential life already as a Community Advisor. You get offered the chance to apply during the latter half of the fall semester. You need to fill out the online application. Once filled out, you will be prompted to sign up online for an interview time during winter training for current community advisors. You are given around 45 minutes for an interview. It is possible to finish the interview in 20 minutes. Expand on your answers using past experiences working in residential life. Once the interview is complete, you will be asked if you have any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify a communication breakdown on your staff and how would you rectify it?   Answer Question

Usability Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. The questions didn't seem difficult and were only asked to assess schedule and interest fit. As a student interested in pursuing the field of technical communications and usability, it seemed as if they were inclined to give me the job based on my appreciation for the position.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

45-Minute phone interview. The supervisor was very particular about what the job entailed and made it clear the kind of person she need; someone hardworking and with a good attitude. It was very important to her that the peoples hired where not in it only for the money.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?   1 Answer

Junior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2014.

Interview

Very simple interview with the lab section head. The questions were very basic personality questions, and was followed by a tour of the lab. I was called within 3 days to inform me that I would be receiving an offer.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

Series of interviews: phone, first and second interviews. Was contacted unsolicited through Indeed.com and cleared schedule on short notice for on-campus interviews, which took nearly 4 hours total plus a 30-minute phone interview. Brought writing and presentation samples. Studied website for a minimum of 2 hours. The process is lengthy and sometimes you're simply being interviewed for EOE purposes because they already have someone in mind.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in the position   1 Answer

Instructor, College of Science and Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Duluth, MN).

Interview

I was already familiar with the faculty and was offered the job without an official interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no real negotiation. The union negotiates your salary and raise.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Met with the Graduate Program Director. Asked questions on motivation behind pursuing graduate studies.