University of Minnesota

www.umn.edu

University of Minnesota Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview Details – Few letters of recommendations from former mentors qualified me for this position as they were acquaintances with the PI. It took 2 weeks after initial contacts to receive an offer and paperwork from the HR.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation regarding the salary-benefits and insurance

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2012.

Interview Details – I responded to an online job advertisement, which asked for a cover letter, CV, and three references. I was then asked to have an interview over skype since I was on a different continent. I had the interview and several weeks later was offered the job via email.

Interview Question – None really, the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in April 2008.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and research summary to the contact info by email and since my qualifications are very closely matched to the job qualifications, I got an email from the professor asking some questions about my time line, general questions about my previous experiences, etc and what would be a good time for me to visit the campus and interview.

They asked me to buy the plane ticket and I got instructions on accommodations and the schedule for the day of the interview.

The day before the interview, the professor came to the hotel and took me to dinner. We chatted mostly about the potential project and about the city.

The day of the interview, I presented my work in front of the research group. They asked questions related to the talk. Then it was one-on-one talk with the Prof followed by lunch. Then I got a tour of the facilities by the staff and a tour of the lab by the students. It takes awhile to go from building to building since the U is big. At the end of the day, I met the Prof again in her office, and basically was told that I will be offered the job, but no specifics. A week later, I got the offer and since I like the research facilities, I took the job.

Interview Question – A grad student asked me for some suggestions for her current project.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Minnesota in May 2009.

Interview Details – It's a good conversation with my boss. I fit the position very well.

Interview Question – all those technical questions in computer sciences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Worked for University of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!