University of Mississippi Medical Center

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Mississippi Medical Center

RN PRN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in January 2014.

Interview

the interview was quick and to the point. I was not nervous about the interview because I already knew someone who was employed on the floor I wanted to work on. They had already spoken with the nurse manager about me, so I knew what to expect. The nurse manager was friendly and very professional.

Researcher II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in May 2012.

Interview

I first heard about this position through a friend that works in the lab in the psychiatry department. She urged me to apply to the online position. I applied through the company website and got an in person interview. They interviewed others but at the end of the day, I got the offer to work during the summers to increase understanding of the enzyme pathways in people with alcoholism.

Interview Questions

• -What do you know about this line of research?
      -What is your degree in?
      -What have you done during your undergraduate studies that can be of an asset to this research?
      -Are you comfortable working with animals?
      -Can you occasionally work nights and weekends?

Answer Question

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in August 2011.

Interview

After applying online for an Administrative Assistant position, I received a response stating that I met the minimum education/experience requirements. I had to take an employment (typing) test to be considered for the job. But the test was extremely outdated and unfair. The equipment was beyond outdated, and the test itself wasn't timed properly. It's virtually impossible for anyone to pass their employment test. I think the entire process needs to be re-evaluated. I guess that's why even internals didn't even qualify for the job because a test that should be so simple is made so difficult by outdated equipment and computer programs.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions because it's very difficult to actually get an interview for the Administrative/Office positions.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview with manager and head of department

Project Manager I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the job on the company's job posting board website. I was then contacted for a phone interview by the hiring manager. About a week later I was contacted again by administrative assistant for a face-to-face interview. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mainly composed of behavioral-based questions. At the end of the interview they explained what the next steps would be if offered the position. I was contacted about a week later and was offered the position. Shortly after HR contacted me for a background and drug screening test. Two weeks later once the results came back from my background check, I was contacted by the hiring manager with information about when I was to attend orientation. The timeframe from you which I was interviewed to the time I was hired was about four weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a project to complete with little to no guidance. How were you able to complete this task in a successful and timely manner?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when you were faced with employee dishonesty. How did you handle this, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • This position requires the juggling of many tasks at one time. Tell me about a time when you were given multiple tasks to complete; how did you prioritize and organize your work to ensure that all tasks were completed within the specified timeframe.   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson, MS) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied for the job on UMC's online job center. I got a call back pretty soon for a 1:1 interview. The interview took about 20 minutes. She asked "Why do you want this job?" and "Tell me a little about yourself." I informed her that initially I could learn the basics in any dept, but that my long term goal was to eventually transfer to the neuro dept of case management because that is where I was currently working and felt I could be more of an asset to the team. She then went through what a typical day would be like and job requirements. She then asked if I was good with computers and turned the computer around and showed me some of the programs I would be using for the job. I left the interview feeling very confident and upbeat. I wrote a thank-you letter as a follow-up and since I already work at UMC in another dept I wanted to hand deliver my thank-you letter. I was walking with one of my coworkers and on the way we ran into the manager of the case management dept. She and my coworker turned out to be good friends. My friend introduced me to the manager and the manager knew who I was (I'm guessing the interviewer told her about me) I left them to talk while I dropped off my letter to the interviewer's office. I thanked her again for her time and handed her my letter. After meeting up with my coworker, she told me that the manager asked if I would be good hire, and my coworker (who has become a close and dear friend of mine) informed her that I would be great. But I never got a call back. About 3 months later I got an email saying they had decided to go with someone else. My final thoughts are: that UMC hired a financial company to restructure our company to focus on financial gain, and they combined what used to be 3 positions into 1 and labeled it "Case Manager" This in turn upset most of the case managers and the case management department had a mass exodus. I thought this would be a good time to get in with the department felt a strong desire to bring up morale and learn as much as I could and expand my knowledge base. But then even more people in the dept resigned including the person who interviewed me. Then I felt as though even if I would have gotten the job, so many people quit that there was no one there to train me to be the best I could be. ( Wonderful people who have been case managers for 20 years or more resigned.) I even talked to a new case manager and she told me that so many people quit that she just got "thrown out there and had to figure it out." I also feel like the manager of the case management dept worked closely with my nurse manager and did not want to steal one of her employees, and keep a good working relationship between departments. Finally, I feel that they were looking for an external person to come in rather than hire within UMC's already stretched short nursing staff.

RN Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Interview

Initial interview was good except the clinical manager lied about what type of patients they receive

Negotiation