University of Nebraska–Lincoln

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Extension Interview

Extension

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview Details – Had 2 in person interviews, was offered a couple of days after second interview. They asked typical questions you'd expect in an interview.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected questions   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview Details – Interview process was spread over two different days. However it took about six months from the application to actually be hired due to the incredibly slow process. This is one example of the poor quality of the HR, Leadership/Administrators and business leaders employed at the University. Interview process is about 30 years behind the time. No testing is used throughout the process and resumes aren't run through a computer simulation to check fit prior to being reviewed by the "search committee." Interview panelist are never taught what to look for in a candidate so the questions and approach is pretty random.

Interview Question – Really all softball questions, no behavioral based questions. Basically it boiled down to if the person across the table liked you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Never accept the first offer, there is always more money. However the compensation philosophy is not to pay market rates but rather below. If you don't get your money up front you never will as you can expect a 2% raise in a good year, many years nothing.

Business Manager Interview

Business Manager

Interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Interview Details – UNL follows a very regulated hiring process. Candidates are screened based on their application materials and chosen for interviews based primarily upon their qualifications. Expect a panel of at least three people as University policy dictates that minorities and women are represented in every interview. Prepare to answer specific questions about your experience and how it relates to a particular position. Ultimately, the difficulty associated with your interview will depend upon the composition of the hiring committee.

Interview Question – Explain to us how specifically how your previous experiences will translate into your role in this position.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview Details – Hiring Criteria: Telephone interview, GRE Test scores, Graduate program Statement of interest.

Interview Question – Why are you choosing this department and university?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Members Services Interview

Members Services
Lincoln, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was basically a huge cattle call with first-come, first-serve. We all waited in the crowded lobby of the recreation facility and many had to wait over an hour to be interviewed. Most were dressed very casually-tshirts, shorts. When we finally got called in we sat in front of two current employees who were supposed to inform us about the job for the next interview, but did not and instead looked annoyed by us. Then we waited some more to see the head bosses who were friendly and understanding. Overall, I have never been to such a disorganized interview ever.

Interview Question – There was a situation question about someone with the wrong id   View Answer

Student Employee Interview

Student Employee

Interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Interview Details – Knew the manager, there really wasn't an interview.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Lincoln, NE

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview Details – I talked to the PI of the lab and gave a talk about my PhD research. Then I talked to the lab member. He was very nice.

Interview Question – What is your expectation from this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

IT Associate Interview

IT Associate

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was simple. It didn't require any high technology knowledge.

Interview Question – What was the largest problem I encountered and how did I resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Web Developer II Interview

Web Developer II
Lincoln, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview Details – Once you submit an application to UNL it can take two months before they respond. They most likely will contact you via phone. Once they contact you, they will setup an initial interview. Here is where it gets interesting. UNL uses search committees to hire people. When you go in to interview, the search committee will most likely be in the interview (3+ people).

After the initial interview with the entire committee ensuring you are a good fit, you will then have a second interview. This is basically an interview to ensure your potential boss knows you can do the job and will be a good fit in the company.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was a problem solving question for my skill. It wasn't necessarily the question, but the question was the first one asked. I had met the person in charge of the interview, and went to the meeting room. There were five people in there already. I wasn't expecting this at all. So, the question is asked, and you have six people watching you try to figure out this problem. Talk about tough.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – UNL has very little negotiating power. You do have some wiggle room, but it's not as I would expect.

Facility Operations Manager Interview

Facility Operations Manager
Lincoln, NE

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln in March 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on-site lengthy interview by search committee and large group of managers

Interview Question – How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a higher salary comparable to the salary plus benefits I was receiving at my current employer, which had better benefits....

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Nebraska–Lincoln? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nebraska–Lincoln interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Nebraska–Lincoln employees and interview candidates.