University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Updated Nov 3, 2014
Updated Nov 3, 2014

2.6

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

First contact through email, then very easy interview over the phone, description of the project and of the university. The recruiter spent more time talking than listening, which made it very easy. Overall very nice contact and I got an offer a couple of days later.

Financial Aid Interview

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

I applied for a position in the Financial Aid Department, then was called for an interview 2 months later (after I had forgotten I had applied). The main interview was with the search committee (which, unlike UNL's policy on search committees, had no minorities on it). I was then moved to an interview with the entire office staff of over 15 who asked questions and finally the Director. Everyone was very nice and I was really looking forward to the prospect of working there. They said there would be an answer either by the end of he week when I left. I didn't hear back, so I sent a follow up email a few weeks later to no avail. The HR website states whether you're still in contention or not. They called all my references in this time frame, as well. I followed up one more time to no answer. After continuously checking the HR website, it finally said "not selected" over 3 months after the interview. My issue with this process is that I was not given the respect to get a decline email. As an Alum, I am very disappointed that this is how my alma mater treats potential employees.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

just submit all the transcript and talkt to the professor and showed the professor what i can do and what's my focus and what's my view of renewable energy and then I'm hired

Extension Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Had 2 in person interviews, was offered a couple of days after second interview. They asked typical questions you'd expect in an interview.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Interview process was spread over two different days. However it took about six months from the application to actually be hired due to the incredibly slow process. This is one example of the poor quality of the HR, Leadership/Administrators and business leaders employed at the University. Interview process is about 30 years behind the time. No testing is used throughout the process and resumes aren't run through a computer simulation to check fit prior to being reviewed by the "search committee." Interview panelist are never taught what to look for in a candidate so the questions and approach is pretty random.

Interview Questions
    • Really all softball questions, no behavioral based questions. Basically it boiled down to if the person across the table liked you.   Answer Question
    Never accept the first offer, there is always more money. However the compensation philosophy is not to pay market rates but rather below. If you don't get your money up front you never will as you can expect a 2% raise in a good year, many years nothing.

Business Manager Interview

UNL follows a very regulated hiring process. Candidates are screened based on their application materials and chosen for interviews based primarily upon their qualifications. Expect a panel of at least three people as University policy dictates that minorities and women are represented in every interview. Prepare to answer specific questions about your experience and how it relates to a particular position. Ultimately, the difficulty associated with your interview will depend upon the composition of the hiring committee.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to us how specifically how your previous experiences will translate into your role in this position.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

Hiring Criteria: Telephone interview, GRE Test scores, Graduate program Statement of interest.

Student Employee Interview

Knew the manager, there really wasn't an interview.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Nebraska–Lincoln.

I talked to the PI of the lab and gave a talk about my PhD research. Then I talked to the lab member. He was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • What is your expectation from this job?   View Answer
    No negotiation

IT Associate Interview

The hiring and interview process was simple. It didn't require any high technology knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What was the largest problem I encountered and how did I resolve it?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.