University of Nevada, Reno

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.8

IT ASSISTANT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Nevada, Reno.

IT Manager called me for an interview shortly after I applied on the University's career website. The interview was onsite and was pretty standard. Interviewer asked about myself, my job experience, and some basic technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just basic interview/ getting-to-know-you type questions   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

3 Interviews plus public presentation. First interview is on the phone, second one online by skype, third one on site with a commission. After that there is a public presentation with ideas and what not. A little scary but everybody is really nice.

Interview Questions
    Everything is set, not negociable.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Nevada, Reno.

TA offered with acceptance. So there really is no hiring and interview process. If you are not offered a TA, I guess there may be an interview process. Talk to the DGS.

No negotiations for TAs.

Computer Systems Administrator Interview

I applied for the sysadmin position and about a week later got called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was typical in introducing myself and a basic gauge of my technical skills with the search committee. The committee consisted of staff within IT and other staff of the departments that I would be supporting. A week later I was asked to interview. The interview process was about 7 hours long meeting with multiple IT departments and groups within the departments I would be supporting. A tour of campus along with breakfast and lunch was provided.

Interview Questions
    • There was no technical test. They asked lots of questions based on situations and "what-would-you-do"s. Every now and then a technical question was thrown in especially from the other server and sys admins - ex. how would you go about editing policy in AD.   Answer Question
    Compensation was higher than what I expected, so I had no complaints.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Nevada, Reno in September 2013.

I was interviewed by the Director and the Senior Director of the program. They asked me questions about my experience that pertained directly to the program. The whole interview took about 45 minutes. The process to get hired through the University is a longer than average process. I submitted my application in June/July and did not receive a call until September.

Interview Questions
    • My experience with a specific program for data collection. I had very minimal experience with the system.   Answer Question
    I was informed of my salary and then was told that it had increased since the last fiscal year, which was great. No negotiation necessary.

Administrative Faculty Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Nevada, Reno.

The hiring process for an administrative faculty position is very stringent. The first phase of the interview is a phone interview, where a panel of interviewers will contact you and ask some typical interview questions (i.e. what is your experience, how do you think it relates, what are your accomplishments, etc.).
    If you make it through the phone interview, the second phase includes giving a presentation regarding the specific job duties to the interview panel and staff/faculty interested in attending. After the presentation you will then go through a panel interview similar to the phone interview, with the questions being a bit more in depth (i.e. what do you think it will take to successfully implement [job function], etc.). The second phase will generally be wrapped up with individual interviews with your potential supervisors, who will explain the reporting structures and job role. The is a very thorough process and typically takes a full day.

Interview Questions
    • What single project or task do you consider to be your most successful career accomplishment?   Answer Question
    Negotiation was simple as they came in with an offer near the top of the established pay range, much higher than I anticipated.

Project Manager Interview

Fairly simple and is very similar to any employment opportunity.

Library Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Nevada, Reno in November 2012.

Initial contact was by phone 2-3 weeks after completing the online application. The hiring manager didn't ask me any questions but invited me for an in person interview. I interviewed with the library manager who seemed tired but cordial. She asked some questions about my resume, some basic interview questions and took me on a tour. She didn't seem very interested in my experience- just kind of going through the motions. I wasn't too hopeful when I left- I did receive a nice "Thanks, but No Thanks" letter in the mail about 2 weeks later.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Nevada, Reno in June 2012.

Intense background and experience check. 5 panel interview with basic questions. It took a long time for the HR process to go through because they are so busy, after HR approved my application the interview process was a breeze.

No negation.

Building Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Nevada, Reno in August 2010.

I applied in person and got a call a month later. I cam in for a one on one interview and got hired on the spot. Super easy interview. Just have lots of personality!