University of New Haven Interview Questions

Instrumentation Technician #11-102 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of New Haven in March 2012.

I applied via email, and received a response within a few weeks seeking an interview. The department's office administrator scheduled me to meet with the faculty search committee. On the day of the interview, she helped get the parking permit from the campus police (a nice touch not to have the candidate fend for themselves). I met with the department chair and briefly discussed my academic and work history. I then met with the search committee, comprised of a professor from each area of concentration within the department. Introductions were made, and they asked me to give a narrative of my work experience. They then asked me some questions, such as my experience with education and some questions specific to the planned duties of the position. I was then offered the opportunity to ask some questions, some of which had to be referred to HR. One member of the committee then took me on a tour of the facility, and we talked some more about the position, the facilities, and the university. We then parted. A week or so later, we communicated by email, and I scheduled some time with an HR representative to get a cleared picture of the compensation and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Though I did not find the question unexpected or difficult, I did find answering it to the satisfaction of one committee member to be difficult. The question:
      "Could you describe a problem that you found interesting and its solution?"
      I described a problem which had a simple solution but had presented as far more difficult due to the circumstances. The particular person seemed unimpressed and disappointed, and asked in several different ways during the narrative why I had not pursued the simple solution first. I re-iterated the circumstances which seemed to satisfy the other committee members, and the committee chair moved to another subject.
        Answer Question

The salary range was lower than I expected, and the details of the benefits program were not as favorable as initially portrayed.

Assistant Director of Admissions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of New Haven in November 2011.

The hiring process was fairly simple. I had a phone interview first and then was called back for a formal interview in person. It was a group interview with the director, associate director, another assistant director, and an admissions counselor. They had a set list of questions that they asked me and then at the end they asked me any additional questions that they thought of individually during the interview and gave me a chance to ask any questions I had. I was also given a tour of campus prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best describe yourself using one word?   View Answer
    There wasn't much negotiation. I was told upfront what the salary would be and I had said that was fine.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of New Haven in August 2009.

The process moved along very quickly considering the date of submission, about two weeks or so in total. First I was scheduled for a phone screen then a final face-to-face. The face-to-face functioned more like a meet and greet.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question: What do you feel you can bring to this organization and team in particular?   View Answer
    Negotiation: There was not one because the pay-rates were already predetermined though the university and financial aid.

Worked for University of New Haven? Contribute to the Community!