University of New Mexico Hospital

Updated May 16, 2014

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of New Mexico Hospital

Registered Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of New Mexico Hospital in January 2014.

Applied for the position online and received a phone call a few weeks later. The interview was a peer interview, where everyone asked general questions. Everyone was extremely nice and easy to talk to. Exactly two weeks after the interview I received a phone call offering me the position. I took a few days to think on it (the whole thing was very unexpected) and eventually accepted the position a few days later. This was by far the easiest interview process I have ever been through. I had previously worked at a competitor hospital who's interview process was horrific, consisting of multiple interviews with different departments. This one was a breeze compared to that!.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to deal with a difficult patient? If so, how did you handle them. (not word for word, but something along those lines)   Answer Question
    Although the base pay may not be all that great, ask about their "tier system". They have 3 tier levels of pay based on what certifications you have, experience, etc. It is also helpful to ask about health insurance and education reimbursement.

Patient Services Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of New Mexico Hospital.

I had 1 interview with the hiring manager who was also a charge nurse. It took about half an hour. She asked basic questions-- prior work experience, how would you handle conflict with a peer, etc. Very friendly. My perception of the work atmosphere during my interview was that she was extremely busy due to the intense nature of the department. I didn't feel like she was rushing me or anything; rather, I felt like she was being generous by setting aside half an hour for me. The interview was extremely easy and comfortable. Appearances definitely count, so I am glad I dressed professionally in business-professional attire.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy and standard-- what is your greatest weakness and how are you working to improve it.   View Answer
    No salary negotiations are possible. Before accepting a position here, consider the fact that you will probably not see a raise for years (if ever). I worked here for a total of 5 years and saw one raise of little more than 30 cents. Also consider the stressful work environment and pace. It can be rewarding, but you can also be overloaded with a ludicrous work expectation due to mismanaged staffing schedules.

Worked for University of New Mexico Hospital? Contribute to the Community!