University of New Mexico

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.6

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of New Mexico.

Great communication and feedback. Somewhat scripted in terms of information about the university and basic questions as expected. Great energy from faculty in terms of research interests and potential fit with the department.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but definitely important: would you have a problem moving to Albuquerque?   View Answer

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of New Mexico in August 2014.

One interview after online application. I was contacted by email to set up interview. Three people interviewed me and took turns asking questions. The supervisor started talking about the department, felt really long and covered what any applicant should have known from looking at the website. Did not start with the dreaded "Tell me about yourself", but something easier to answer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you gave good customer service.   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

It depends on personal abilities and funding situations of the professors.

Student Employee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of New Mexico.

After applying on UNMJobs, i was called to set up an interview. It's important to be flexible with them in establishing a time, that goes a long way. The interview was done by 2-3 people (I've interviewed for 3 positions at UNM and got all 3). Some positions really screen for certain qualities, and others basically say "this is what the job is, are you sure you want it?"

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with disrespectful or rude people? Often times faculty can be full of themselves and act as such. What experience do you have with dealing with mean or rude people?

UNM has a database of questions that most employees go off of. It's important to remember that most hiring is done by department directors and department heads, so HR is really not there thing, so they go by an established doctrine for hiring people.

Answer Question
    What negotiation? They only have so much money in their budget for student employment. They will pay you what they have allotte for it, and if you on't like it, go somewhere else, you aren't a real citizen at UNM if you are a student employee.

Therapist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of New Mexico in September 2013.

UNM has very strict hiring practices. Interviewers must ask a specific set of questions. I interviewed twice, and both times I had two people doing the interviewing--they would alternate between asking questions and taking notes. The hiring process also took a long time...it was over six months between my interview and my date of hire.

Interview Questions
    • N/A. Read the job description very carefully. Every question I got was to test how well I met the qualifications and experience.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of New Mexico.

Met with professor, he asked me about my research experience and asked for four recommendation letters.

Student Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of New Mexico in December 2012.

Applied with university job website

No negotiations

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of New Mexico in August 2012.

Very technical questions about my previous projects

Interview Questions
    • all questiosn were focus on my experience and projects i have done   Answer Question
    salary 12/hr. not bad for an undergraduate doing research. they will pay for grad school. and i will be included as first author in any paper they publish

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of New Mexico in April 2012.

Online application; 2-Day interview included meeting with faculty and presenting a seminar.

Interview Questions
    • How will your research impact other research in the department?   Answer Question

Research Experience In Nanophotonics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of New Mexico in April 2012.

It was based on my academic record and my research interests and how I could contribute positively to the group.