University of Newcastle (UK)

www.ncl.ac.uk
  www.ncl.ac.uk

University of Newcastle (UK) Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.6

Visitor Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK).

It was pretty straight forward because I already knew my supervisor and it was already agreed that I would be working there for aprox. 1year.

Research Assistant Interview

Simple Interview. Was asked a couple of questions about what I want to do and was asked to explain a bit about my Masters thesis and what I expected to work as. I was also asked to read about a few publications and they were discussed in detail.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in March 2013.

The interview was about the detailed discussion about my recent recent research and development experience in the university

Research Assistant Interview

Applied for the position online. This was followed by a technical interview discussing the work I had done in the University this far (was a Masters student there). Passed the interview and got selected for the position.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in June 2012.

First I got my job position offered informally by the professor in a pub, he then invited me over for an informal chat, next I accepted the job, but to make sure that the guidelines were followed, he organised an application procedure, after which i was invited for a job interview via Skype. I did my best to write a good application letter and to do well at the interview - because I of course did not know how serious they were taking this. However, when one of the interviewees said "I look forward working with you" it was clear to me that they were not really taking the interview serious.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase, I got the contract based on standard salary settings as set for 1st year post-docs. No negotiation possible

Peoplesoft Administrator/Upgrade Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballarat (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballarat (Australia)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in May 2012.

Applied through online and they have chose after online interview . They liked me like anything also negotiated salary, however my partner don't want to go regional area any more.

Interview Questions

Partner don't want to move into regional area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in October 2010.

Friendly but intense. Must have samples of research with you, preferably with a presentation. Panel of three people at the campus.

Interview Questions
    • Need to describe in detail your research, its impact and how you will tackle it in the academic view.   Answer Question

PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in March 2010.

The course I had completed was of a high standard so only a few questions were asked regarding my knowledge of the subject. I think the interview was mainly to see if I was a functioning human as my references gave them much of what they must have been looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to discuss several aspects of the course I had completed   View Answer
    • Asked me if I had any questions about their research   View Answer

Accepted a similar offer at another institution