University of North Carolina

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Career Management Interview

Director of Career Management
Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of North Carolina in March 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application on-line via LinkedIn and was contacted for a phone interview about two weeks later. After the phone interview with two people, I was brought in for a series of face-to-face interviews that lasted 4 hours. After that round of interviews, I was brought in about a week later for another series of face-to-face interviews that lasted 4 hours. Each round of face-to-face interviews consisted of various panel members who were on the interview / search & selection committee. I receieved and accepted an offer the following week.

Interview Question – Specifically describe a one-on-one career counseling session you lead, and what the career outcome was for the participant.   Answer Question

A/R Manager Interview

A/R Manager
Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of North Carolina in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online.
A week later I had a phone interview with 2 people. The interview went well and I felt very comfortable with it.
After a week I had the second interview with two people. I really enjoyed more that interview because I felt better, but I had a feeling that they had somebody in mind.
After 2 weeks I have the rejection letter stating that other candidate has been selected, because I was very well qualified, but not as highly qualified as the candidate they eventually selected. She has about 20 years of A/R experience.

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Chapel Hill, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of North Carolina in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed one on one. Asked how I would handle the monotony of the tasks. Then interviewed by panel of all the managers I would be working with daily.

Interview Question – How will you deal with the monotony of the tasks.   Answer Question

IT Tech Interview

IT Tech
Greensboro, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of North Carolina in May 2010.

Interview Details – No job description was provided. So my prep was not that great. Interviewers were patient and good .
Helped alot in me getting tothe right answers but it was not exactly mt arena so didn;t do well. no offer didn't expect one :)

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Wilmington, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of North Carolina in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR to schedule an interview, based on my on-line application. I was given a call-in number for the interview and told there would be several people in attendance. They introduced themselves on the phone and I did the same. The interviewers ranged from college interns to departmental managers. The questions were very basic. Most were behavioral-based. Some were technical. Many had to do with how to handle an unskilled, transient workforce, deal with problems in the workplace and resource limitations. I was caught off guard because the questions were at a very basic technical, tactical level (i.e. what was the most recent version of an OS) vs. strategic operational level thinking. I was then given the opportunity to ask questions. None of the interviewers were prepared to answer simple operational questions regarding their cost of operations and performance metrics.

Interview Questions

• What was the most recently deployed version of the Windows operating system.   View Answer
  • Name a time you had problems with a difficult employee and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Chapel Hill, NC

The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of North Carolina in April 2007.

Interview Details – There was a matching process between interest and research groups with 15 minute interviews around the department. Selected candidates were offered Research Assistantships, and the remaining ones were Teaching Assistants.

Interview Question – Design a storage and retrieval mechanism for very large data files   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Went smoothly, easy to get along with people in academia.

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at University of North Carolina.

Interview Details – I had an in-person interview with the Chair of the Department. We spoke for almost an hour during which time he asked me about my education and background.

Interview Question – The question, what did I think of a particular author, was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary at the time.

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of North Carolina in September 2011.

Interview Details – the company asked a whole story of my life and it spent 1 and half hours. It was a pleasant meeting but apparently i was overqualified.

Interview Question – what is your weakness.   Answer Question

Resident Advisor Interview

Resident Advisor

The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of North Carolina in January 2009.

Interview Details – The first day we were introduced to all the communities we could work for. The second day we went through group processing which involved 3 rooms that had different scenarios. The actual results didn't matter (they were observing our communication and ability to work in a group). The last day you interviewed with a Community Director and another member of the Housing Department.

Interview Question – How would you balance life as an RA, academics, extracurricular activities, and a personal life?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of North Carolina in September 2009.

Interview Details – meeting and talking with PI about background, position, projects. Give presentation to the group, having lunch with group member, talk with individual group member about there research projects and asking questions anout the lab. Meeting with PI again to finish up. Declined dinner with group for personal reasons.

Interview Question – will you stay here for long if you get the offer   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of North Carolina