University of Pennsylvania

Updated Feb 2, 2015
Updated Feb 2, 2015

2.7

Bio Statistician Interview

a simple phone interview. 1) first is about the background information (self introduction, details about work experience) 2) questions about SAS programming skill, like basic structure of proc sql, difference between substr and scan

Career Counselor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Answered an ad, they called to schedule an interview. I drove one hour to get there. One person came out to the reception area of the career center and said they would be right with me. She came back 10 minutes later and said they would be with me in a few minutes. Twenty minutes later she came out and said they would not be conducting the interview. I left. I'm not sure why I drove an hour to get there and not be interviewed.

Assistant Director Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Phone screen, then 1 person on-campus interview with the full direct staff.
    Questions were as expected -- to get a better sense of me, my work style, accomplishments, what I could bring to the position, and determining fit with the rest of the team. It was nice to be asked questions from future colleagues and to get to meet everyone. I find some times you are more isolated in these interview processes, only meeting the supervisors, in higher ed however, I find that meeting more people is more common.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember exactly, unfortunately it was awhile back. Nothing too out-of the blue or unexpected. See above for an overview.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation room. Central HR controls all salary offers, which is unfortunate when your direct supervisor wants you to be making more!

PSR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

If you are related to some one you get hired especially if you have no experience. They give whites with a blank resume professional level positions while minorities with great resumes and education are given clerical positions.
    They interview for the process but give position to management's family members regardless of qualifications.
    HR doesn't like to be contacted or asked any questions and take great offense when contacted.

Interview Questions
    Very important get what you can get because they don't give raises you only get cost of living increases some years which can be 10 cents or 15 cents.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The minute I was contacted to schedule my first round of interviews, I started preparing for it. I learned more about the research, and anticipated all kinds of questions. I don't think I've never worked so hard for an interview! So I think this is why I feel it was on the easier side but in reality, if I had not prepared, these interviews would have been extremely difficult. I interviewed with 21 people for this role. Now, in retrospect, meeting with 21 people was definitely a little crazy, BUT they really want to make sure the person selected will be a good fit with their culture, plus will be a fast learner, so again, prepping is imperative if you really want the job....

I received from them lots of reading material before the interviews, which of course I digested and analyzed even in my sleep. They asked me then questions about all of that to gauge my level of understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were more like a conversation in which I was able to present solutions to the problems I had identified while prepping for the interviews. They were very impressed with the accuracy of the issues I had identified, and moreover, that I was already given thought to finding solutions for those with surgical precision.

They also wanted to make sure I was going to fit in with the team, as opposed to come in as a snob director commanding my way in. They are more into team strategies and dislike a hierarchy approach, so there were lots of questions on that regard.

Answer Question
    They moved pretty quickly! From the first call I got from their HR recruiter to the time I had the offer, it took only 3 weeks.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Considering the recent funding status. You have to be really well prepared for the interview process. Basically, you have to be vary familiar with your research and the interest of the lab and try to find the research area that is suitable both for you and the lab. You should also know everything in your field.

Project Manager Interview

the people were very nice. everyone was very helpful and worked around my current work schedule. they answered all of my questions and were willing to accommodate me on when i would be able to start

very easy.

Research Specialist A Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The initial interview was short and concise. The manager asked a few questions about customer service and my education background. During the second round of the interview, the supervisor of my manager attended and asked me questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions the manager asked were expected questions.   Answer Question

Research Specialist A Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

After applying online, was contacted by lab PI to interview on-site. Learned the laboratory's research interests and current projects, then was asked about my research experience and motivation. After meeting with current members of the lab, met with PI again to discuss my potential role. An offer was sent a few weeks later.