University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
85 interviews

2.6

Research Specialist A Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The initial interview was short and concise. The manager asked a few questions about customer service and my education background. During the second round of the interview, the supervisor of my manager attended and asked me questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions the manager asked were expected questions.   Answer Question

Research Specialist A Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

After applying online, was contacted by lab PI to interview on-site. Learned the laboratory's research interests and current projects, then was asked about my research experience and motivation. After meeting with current members of the lab, met with PI again to discuss my potential role. An offer was sent a few weeks later.

Research Specialist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

I interviewed here twice- same position in two different departments about 6 months apart. Both experiences were crummy.

Experience #1- Long phone interview, then in-person interview. Travel was (very) partially reimbursed but only after reminding them more than once. They were looking to hire 'in a few months' but still interviewed me. I followed up maybe two months later and was told that they had put the search on hold but would let me know either way. Then I never heard from them again and saw the position reposted a few weeks ago. The people were very nice but I think when applicants spend a significant amount of time and effort going to interviews, we're owed a polite rejection. It's not that hard.

Experience #2- No initial phone interview, instead I was invited for an in-person interview and given very rigid time frames. When I explained that I'd be traveling from out of state (which was clearly listed on my resume) and the times didn't work for me because of travel restrictions, they said they'd get back to me about times in the future because the PI would be traveling. I was able to rearrange my schedule and make one of their times work but wish I hadn't. These people were unnecessarily rude and acted as if I should feel privileged that they even deigned to be in the same room with me. They said they wanted to fill the position ASAP but certainly within the month. Then they introduced me around and just left me standing there with someone in the office for at least 20 minutes… he had to go and track my interviewer back down and then she just told me I was all done. They didn't even acknowledge that I came from out of state on my own dime, last minute, and rearranged my schedule to meet with them.

I never heard from them again (surprise) except when HR sent me an email saying that this position matched my profile and inviting me to apply for it… it was the same position I had just interviewed for a month earlier! And my HR profile was marked as 'interviewed' so it seemed pretty obvious.

It also seemed obvious that no one communicates with one another and they don't know what they want, they just like to 'window shop' candidates. It seems that neither of these positions have been filled.

I'm sure Penn has the cream of the crop to pick from because they are certainly acting as such. But I certainly will not waste my time applying with them in the future. It seems like it'd be a pretty good place to work overall but when you can spot the dysfunction within a one-hour interview, there's more than likely tons more to be seen…

Interview Questions
    • The questions were general experience questions, nothing crazy.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

An all-day (6 hr) affair at the CNDR consisting of 5 consecutive interviews and tours of the place. There weren't many questions, but rather you were expected to ask the questions. I did some research and reading on recent papers published (there are a lot) and did demonstrate that I had done the work, but still, 6 hrs is a lot of stuff to cover without feeling like a repetitive robot. Overall, I was not successful and kind of feel crappy that I had to go through this just to fail.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your research experience.   View Answer

CRC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2011.

I was hired as a summer intern and then moved into a paid position. First there was a phone interview with the PI and then an in person interview with the PI.

There was no negotiation.

Project Manager/Researcher/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in October 2010.

The interview steps consisted of: Applying, Interviewing and Hiring. It also helped that I had worked on the same problem for my PhD dissertation and the projects I was going to work on was an extension of the same capabilities.

Interview Questions
    • As wide as predictive modeling, programming, sales, project management etc   View Answer

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

On campus job - one round, casual and comfortable

Interview Questions
    • General questions, e.g. How would you manage your time?   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2010.

i applied on college board .com i had excellent sat scores

Interview Questions
    • what do you want to contribute to the university.   View Answer
    none

Research Specialist A Interview

After filling out an online application, I was contacted by an administrative assistant who scheduled my interview. I met with the Principal Investigator first and we went over my work experience, college courses, and what the position would entail. Next, the admin assistant walked me to the lab where I met a few grad students and was shown around the lab. Apparently this is how each candidate was vetted. The grad students had a large say in who was hired and they had access to each candidate's resume.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had questions that I wanted answered. Since I didn't know anything about the lab or my position until I had the interview, I didn't have anything prepared   Answer Question
    No negotiation, paperwork was already printed up for me to sign.

Worked for University of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!