University of Pennsylvania

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.7

Cartographer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2010.

interviewed only once looking forward to hearing from them

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Very intense and rigorous interview process. I had 6 interviews with different people over a 3 weeks period. Very long background check performed by a third-party company.

Interview Questions
    • questions related to security and methods of authentication   View Answer

Registered Dietitian Interview

interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

very detailed phone interview to start.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Questions
    • Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer
    Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Questions
    • How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer
    Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2012.

Typical Postdoc interview. Was asked by the PI to come the following week. Spent about 5 hours speaking with graduate students, MD/PhD students and the PI about their research and what the lab was like. Spoke indiviually with the PI for quite a while about available projects. Presented my thesis work in a 1 hour seminar.

Interview Questions
    • The students are very bright and asked very detailed and difficult questions about my thesis work.   Answer Question
    Postdoc---there is no negotiation.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2010.

Applied online, was then called for interview. then i went to the LAb. It was a day process starting early morning with breakfast interview, then a series of 1-on-1s (about 30/50 minutes each), then a presentation .?Very tiring process, but everyone was very friendly. Approximately a month or so later, they invited me back to spend another day talking to people, but not giving any presentations. The offer came a month or so later.

Interview Questions

I got another offer from the same university.

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2012.

I got an email about a month after I'd applied. I met with two women who were super nice and the interview was so casual. They asked a lot about why I wanted the job and a lot about my previous position and what my goals were (they are really interested in people who want to continue their education with UPENN)

Interview Questions
    • They asked what aspect of my previous job I didn't like the most/wouldn't want to come up in this position. I didn't have a good answer for that.   Answer Question

Project Manager/Researcher/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in October 2010.

The interview steps consisted of: Applying, Interviewing and Hiring. It also helped that I had worked on the same problem for my PhD dissertation and the projects I was going to work on was an extension of the same capabilities.

Interview Questions
    • As wide as predictive modeling, programming, sales, project management etc   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The minute I was contacted to schedule my first round of interviews, I started preparing for it. I learned more about the research, and anticipated all kinds of questions. I don't think I've never worked so hard for an interview! So I think this is why I feel it was on the easier side but in reality, if I had not prepared, these interviews would have been extremely difficult. I interviewed with 21 people for this role. Now, in retrospect, meeting with 21 people was definitely a little crazy, BUT they really want to make sure the person selected will be a good fit with their culture, plus will be a fast learner, so again, prepping is imperative if you really want the job....

I received from them lots of reading material before the interviews, which of course I digested and analyzed even in my sleep. They asked me then questions about all of that to gauge my level of understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were more like a conversation in which I was able to present solutions to the problems I had identified while prepping for the interviews. They were very impressed with the accuracy of the issues I had identified, and moreover, that I was already given thought to finding solutions for those with surgical precision.

They also wanted to make sure I was going to fit in with the team, as opposed to come in as a snob director commanding my way in. They are more into team strategies and dislike a hierarchy approach, so there were lots of questions on that regard.

Answer Question
    They moved pretty quickly! From the first call I got from their HR recruiter to the time I had the offer, it took only 3 weeks.