University of Pennsylvania

Average Difficulty
85 candidate interviews

Cartographer Interview

Cartographer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2010.

Interview Details – interviewed only once looking forward to hearing from them

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Senior Database Administrator
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – Very intense and rigorous interview process. I had 6 interviews with different people over a 3 weeks period. Very long background check performed by a third-party company.

Interview Question – questions related to security and methods of authentication   View Answer

Registered Dietitian Interview

Registered Dietitian

I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

Interview Details – very detailed phone interview to start.

Interview Question – What was your greatest accomplishment in life.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Question – Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

Professor Interview

Professor
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 12 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Question – How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2012.

Interview Details – Typical Postdoc interview. Was asked by the PI to come the following week. Spent about 5 hours speaking with graduate students, MD/PhD students and the PI about their research and what the lab was like. Spoke indiviually with the PI for quite a while about available projects. Presented my thesis work in a 1 hour seminar.

Interview Question – The students are very bright and asked very detailed and difficult questions about my thesis work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Postdoc---there is no negotiation.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate
Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, was then called for interview. then i went to the LAb. It was a day process starting early morning with breakfast interview, then a series of 1-on-1s (about 30/50 minutes each), then a presentation .?Very tiring process, but everyone was very friendly. Approximately a month or so later, they invited me back to spend another day talking to people, but not giving any presentations. The offer came a month or so later.

Interview Question – What do you want to be in five years?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I got another offer from the same university.

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations Interview

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2012.

Interview Details – I got an email about a month after I'd applied. I met with two women who were super nice and the interview was so casual. They asked a lot about why I wanted the job and a lot about my previous position and what my goals were (they are really interested in people who want to continue their education with UPENN)

Interview Question – They asked what aspect of my previous job I didn't like the most/wouldn't want to come up in this position. I didn't have a good answer for that.   Answer Question

Project Manager/Researcher/Analyst Interview

Project Manager/Researcher/Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview steps consisted of: Applying, Interviewing and Hiring. It also helped that I had worked on the same problem for my PhD dissertation and the projects I was going to work on was an extension of the same capabilities.

Interview Question – As wide as predictive modeling, programming, sales, project management etc   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – An all-day (6 hr) affair at the CNDR consisting of 5 consecutive interviews and tours of the place. There weren't many questions, but rather you were expected to ask the questions. I did some research and reading on recent papers published (there are a lot) and did demonstrate that I had done the work, but still, 6 hrs is a lot of stuff to cover without feeling like a repetitive robot. Overall, I was not successful and kind of feel crappy that I had to go through this just to fail.

Interview Question – Tell me about your research experience.   View Answer

Worked for University of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!