University of Pennsylvania

2.6

PSR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

If you are related to some one you get hired especially if you have no experience. They give whites with a blank resume professional level positions while minorities with great resumes and education are given clerical positions.
    They interview for the process but give position to management's family members regardless of qualifications.
    HR doesn't like to be contacted or asked any questions and take great offense when contacted.

Interview Questions
    Very important get what you can get because they don't give raises you only get cost of living increases some years which can be 10 cents or 15 cents.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The minute I was contacted to schedule my first round of interviews, I started preparing for it. I learned more about the research, and anticipated all kinds of questions. I don't think I've never worked so hard for an interview! So I think this is why I feel it was on the easier side but in reality, if I had not prepared, these interviews would have been extremely difficult. I interviewed with 21 people for this role. Now, in retrospect, meeting with 21 people was definitely a little crazy, BUT they really want to make sure the person selected will be a good fit with their culture, plus will be a fast learner, so again, prepping is imperative if you really want the job....

I received from them lots of reading material before the interviews, which of course I digested and analyzed even in my sleep. They asked me then questions about all of that to gauge my level of understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were more like a conversation in which I was able to present solutions to the problems I had identified while prepping for the interviews. They were very impressed with the accuracy of the issues I had identified, and moreover, that I was already given thought to finding solutions for those with surgical precision.

They also wanted to make sure I was going to fit in with the team, as opposed to come in as a snob director commanding my way in. They are more into team strategies and dislike a hierarchy approach, so there were lots of questions on that regard.

Answer Question
    They moved pretty quickly! From the first call I got from their HR recruiter to the time I had the offer, it took only 3 weeks.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Considering the recent funding status. You have to be really well prepared for the interview process. Basically, you have to be vary familiar with your research and the interest of the lab and try to find the research area that is suitable both for you and the lab. You should also know everything in your field.

Development & Alumni Relations Temp Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in April 2012.

There was an opportunity to work as a temporary employee at Penn DAR. My experience in development was limited, but I was brought in and interviewed with the department head as well as his boss. The boss was a very nice guy and didn't throw any curve ball questions at me, just very straight-forward about my interest in the position and what I would offer them as an employee there. Since the boss already liked me, the interview with the department head didn't even last 5 minutes. In fact, we simply talked about the details of how and when I would start. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    You cannot really negotiate since you know what your salary will be prior to applying.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in March 2011.

It was very straightforward. Wrote my PI about interest in his group. I heard back in 10 mins that he is interested and immediately setup date for interview. Gave a talk and got job offer in three weeks

There was no negotitation

Project Manager Interview

the people were very nice. everyone was very helpful and worked around my current work schedule. they answered all of my questions and were willing to accommodate me on when i would be able to start

very easy.

Research Specialist A Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The initial interview was short and concise. The manager asked a few questions about customer service and my education background. During the second round of the interview, the supervisor of my manager attended and asked me questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions the manager asked were expected questions.   Answer Question

Research Specialist A Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

After applying online, was contacted by lab PI to interview on-site. Learned the laboratory's research interests and current projects, then was asked about my research experience and motivation. After meeting with current members of the lab, met with PI again to discuss my potential role. An offer was sent a few weeks later.

Research Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

I interviewed here twice- same position in two different departments about 6 months apart. Both experiences were crummy.

Experience #1- Long phone interview, then in-person interview. Travel was (very) partially reimbursed but only after reminding them more than once. They were looking to hire 'in a few months' but still interviewed me. I followed up maybe two months later and was told that they had put the search on hold but would let me know either way. Then I never heard from them again and saw the position reposted a few weeks ago. The people were very nice but I think when applicants spend a significant amount of time and effort going to interviews, we're owed a polite rejection. It's not that hard.

Experience #2- No initial phone interview, instead I was invited for an in-person interview and given very rigid time frames. When I explained that I'd be traveling from out of state (which was clearly listed on my resume) and the times didn't work for me because of travel restrictions, they said they'd get back to me about times in the future because the PI would be traveling. I was able to rearrange my schedule and make one of their times work but wish I hadn't. These people were unnecessarily rude and acted as if I should feel privileged that they even deigned to be in the same room with me. They said they wanted to fill the position ASAP but certainly within the month. Then they introduced me around and just left me standing there with someone in the office for at least 20 minutes… he had to go and track my interviewer back down and then she just told me I was all done. They didn't even acknowledge that I came from out of state on my own dime, last minute, and rearranged my schedule to meet with them.

I never heard from them again (surprise) except when HR sent me an email saying that this position matched my profile and inviting me to apply for it… it was the same position I had just interviewed for a month earlier! And my HR profile was marked as 'interviewed' so it seemed pretty obvious.

It also seemed obvious that no one communicates with one another and they don't know what they want, they just like to 'window shop' candidates. It seems that neither of these positions have been filled.

I'm sure Penn has the cream of the crop to pick from because they are certainly acting as such. But I certainly will not waste my time applying with them in the future. It seems like it'd be a pretty good place to work overall but when you can spot the dysfunction within a one-hour interview, there's more than likely tons more to be seen…

Interview Questions
    • The questions were general experience questions, nothing crazy.   Answer Question