University of Pennsylvania

85 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2013.

Interview Details – As with many higher education institutions, the interview process moved fairly slowly. My main contact was always willing and happy to provide me with an update hen I asked, and I was pleased to find everyone I interacted with so pleasant. I had a phone interview, a 2nd phone conference interview with two people and an in-person group interview with five executives. I didn't feel any of their questions were particularly unexpected or unreasonable, though they were insightful and thought-provoking. I was concerned I would feel outnumbered at the in-person interview but each person made an effort to make me feel at ease. I would definitely consider applying to Penn again.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was regarding the transition to a higher ed environment. I felt I needed the execs to provide me with more information before I could determine what the obstacles might be.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Registered Dietitian Interview

Registered Dietitian

I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

Interview Details – very detailed phone interview to start.

Interview Question – What was your greatest accomplishment in life.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Question – Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

Interviewed at University of Pennsylvania

Interview Details – Great work culture. Competitive hiring process and wonderful research environment. Love the food carts for lunch around the campus.

Interview Question – How is that you can work along with your wife in the same department   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Operations Assistant Interview

Operations Assistant
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2011.

Interview Details – They called for an interview and basically told me that I was to qualified for the job but I had it if I wanted it. It wasn't a high paying position nor did I expect it to be, it was just what I was looking for.

Interview Question – There are not really any that I can think of, to be honest there weren't many questions at all.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Work Study Interview

Work Study
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2011.

Interview Details – I reached out to the head of the department and found out a time to meet with her. I made sure to do this before the school year started, which helped me get the position. She had vacancies as a result of graduated seniors, so the timing worked out perfectly.

Interview Question – There were very few difficult questions. I approached her with honesty, and she was very understanding given my position as a student.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2012.

Interview Details – Presentation and met with lab personnel

Interview Question – Most questions were about research vision   Answer Question

Lab Engineer Interview

Lab Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – HR and technical interview with different professors os the department.
Since I was a student, it was easier for me as most of the professors I interviewed with knew me.

Interview Question – How long will you stay in the job.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – Talked over the phone and email. Checked my references. Contract signed at the start of employment

Interview Question – Understanding that the pay would be minimum wage and completely depended on having sufficient grant funds   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Professor
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 12 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Question – How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.