University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Updated Jul 11, 2014

2.6

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2013.

As with many higher education institutions, the interview process moved fairly slowly. My main contact was always willing and happy to provide me with an update hen I asked, and I was pleased to find everyone I interacted with so pleasant. I had a phone interview, a 2nd phone conference interview with two people and an in-person group interview with five executives. I didn't feel any of their questions were particularly unexpected or unreasonable, though they were insightful and thought-provoking. I was concerned I would feel outnumbered at the in-person interview but each person made an effort to make me feel at ease. I would definitely consider applying to Penn again.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding the transition to a higher ed environment. I felt I needed the execs to provide me with more information before I could determine what the obstacles might be.   Answer Question

Registered Dietitian Interview

interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

very detailed phone interview to start.

Research Associate Interview

Great work culture. Competitive hiring process and wonderful research environment. Love the food carts for lunch around the campus.

Interview Questions
    • How is that you can work along with your wife in the same department   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Questions
    • Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer
    Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2011.

They called for an interview and basically told me that I was to qualified for the job but I had it if I wanted it. It wasn't a high paying position nor did I expect it to be, it was just what I was looking for.

Interview Questions
    • There are not really any that I can think of, to be honest there weren't many questions at all.   Answer Question

Work Study Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2011.

I reached out to the head of the department and found out a time to meet with her. I made sure to do this before the school year started, which helped me get the position. She had vacancies as a result of graduated seniors, so the timing worked out perfectly.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few difficult questions. I approached her with honesty, and she was very understanding given my position as a student.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2012.

Presentation and met with lab personnel

Lab Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

HR and technical interview with different professors os the department.
    Since I was a student, it was easier for me as most of the professors I interviewed with knew me.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Talked over the phone and email. Checked my references. Contract signed at the start of employment

Interview Questions
    • Understanding that the pay would be minimum wage and completely depended on having sufficient grant funds   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Questions
    • How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer
    Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.