University of Pennsylvania

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.6

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Questions
    • Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer
    Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

Research Associate Interview

Great work culture. Competitive hiring process and wonderful research environment. Love the food carts for lunch around the campus.

Interview Questions
    • How is that you can work along with your wife in the same department   Answer Question

Lab Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

HR and technical interview with different professors os the department.
    Since I was a student, it was easier for me as most of the professors I interviewed with knew me.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Talked over the phone and email. Checked my references. Contract signed at the start of employment

Interview Questions
    • Understanding that the pay would be minimum wage and completely depended on having sufficient grant funds   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Questions
    • How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer
    Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Very intense and rigorous interview process. I had 6 interviews with different people over a 3 weeks period. Very long background check performed by a third-party company.

Interview Questions
    • questions related to security and methods of authentication   View Answer

Registered Dietitian Interview

interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

very detailed phone interview to start.

Research Specialist B Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

It took about two weeks for a hiring manager to make initial contact. It consisted of a panel interview. The panel seemed uninterested from the start. I was not offered an opportunity to ask questions about the position. I was practically pushed out of the door and a comment by the hiring interviewer stating that it would be a very long time before I heard from them because they are going through to motions of HR requirements about paperwork and performing a certain number of interviews needed for documentation (Perhaps they meant the affirmative action paperwork that makes them tally how many minorities they interview per job). Never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • No trick questions, they weren't interested from the start.   Answer Question

Communications, Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The interview process was incredibly quick for higher education -- less than one month from first call to start date. The process included a screening call, an on-site interview with supervisor and one-on-ones with a few colleagues, a second on-site panel interview and a lunch meeting to discuss expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing surprising. No "gotcha" moments or hardball tactics.   View Answer
    Penn has a fairly sophisticated job ranking system. Their offer was perfectly in line with industry expectations and I accepted their offer without hesitation or counter.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2013.

As with many higher education institutions, the interview process moved fairly slowly. My main contact was always willing and happy to provide me with an update hen I asked, and I was pleased to find everyone I interacted with so pleasant. I had a phone interview, a 2nd phone conference interview with two people and an in-person group interview with five executives. I didn't feel any of their questions were particularly unexpected or unreasonable, though they were insightful and thought-provoking. I was concerned I would feel outnumbered at the in-person interview but each person made an effort to make me feel at ease. I would definitely consider applying to Penn again.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding the transition to a higher ed environment. I felt I needed the execs to provide me with more information before I could determine what the obstacles might be.   Answer Question