University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.7

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Talked over the phone and email. Checked my references. Contract signed at the start of employment

Interview Questions

• Understanding that the pay would be minimum wage and completely depended on having sufficient grant funds   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Questions

• How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.

Application

interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in February 2014.

Interview

very detailed phone interview to start.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

It took about two weeks for a hiring manager to make initial contact. It consisted of a panel interview. The panel seemed uninterested from the start. I was not offered an opportunity to ask questions about the position. I was practically pushed out of the door and a comment by the hiring interviewer stating that it would be a very long time before I heard from them because they are going through to motions of HR requirements about paperwork and performing a certain number of interviews needed for documentation (Perhaps they meant the affirmative action paperwork that makes them tally how many minorities they interview per job). Never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• No trick questions, they weren't interested from the start.   Answer Question

Communications, Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly quick for higher education -- less than one month from first call to start date. The process included a screening call, an on-site interview with supervisor and one-on-ones with a few colleagues, a second on-site panel interview and a lunch meeting to discuss expectations.

Interview Questions

• Nothing surprising. No "gotcha" moments or hardball tactics.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Penn has a fairly sophisticated job ranking system. Their offer was perfectly in line with industry expectations and I accepted their offer without hesitation or counter.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2013.

Interview

As with many higher education institutions, the interview process moved fairly slowly. My main contact was always willing and happy to provide me with an update hen I asked, and I was pleased to find everyone I interacted with so pleasant. I had a phone interview, a 2nd phone conference interview with two people and an in-person group interview with five executives. I didn't feel any of their questions were particularly unexpected or unreasonable, though they were insightful and thought-provoking. I was concerned I would feel outnumbered at the in-person interview but each person made an effort to make me feel at ease. I would definitely consider applying to Penn again.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was regarding the transition to a higher ed environment. I felt I needed the execs to provide me with more information before I could determine what the obstacles might be.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was in a different department interviewing for that department in front of a panel of six. A panelist took my resume back to her department for the position that was open in her department. I was call in for my first interview a week or so after the interview with the panel and the second the week after that. Was hired and I've been here in the College Advising Office ever since (16 years). I'd start to interview with other departments after not being able to go any farther in this department.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult Question is where do you what to be in five or ten years.   1 Answer

Information Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2013.

Interview

The process was a very good one. I made connections and talked with very knowledgeable people. They were very open and extremely helpful.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online through the university career portal by searching for the jobs I was interested in. I got an interview call from one of the employers after a week or so. The interview was quite simple, was just asked to go over my resume and justify why I wanted that position.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

This was a rather informal process. I e-mailed many professors who worked in the area of what I was interested in. After that, I met with several professors. This professors was interested in what I was doing and was willing to work with me to help him with his research project. So far, he has been a great mentor. I met with him several other times in order to make sure that our interests aligned.