University of Pennsylvania

83 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Physician Ophthalmology Interview

Physician Ophthalmology

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview Details – I approached them for a special clinician-scientist position, invited me for an interview with several people. I met with all the standard people for the job and I could also select people to meet with them in the first and second interview. All interviews were one to one, no standardized questions.

Interview Question – No strange questions asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – like nothing

Very Easy Interview

ESL Adjunct Lecturer Interview

ESL Adjunct Lecturer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2011.

Interview Details – Two people interviewed me. They had 4 questions. What's your teaching philosophy? Have you had a troublesome student how did you deal with it? Walk me through a recent lesson plan. What courses are you interested in teaching? Are you open to other courses?
I got to ask my questions in the end

Interview Question – Troublesome student question caught me off guard I guess   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything

Interview Question – how do build 3D graphs in matlab   Answer Question

University of Pennsylvania Interview

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in December 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted lab PI after seeing a job advertized on Nature Jobs
Heard back within a few days
Skype interview arranged within 2 weeks (I was interviewing from Europe). I gave a research presentation (1h with questions) and then talked with the PI (45min) and one postdoc (30min).
In person interview 3 weeks after Skype call. They flew me over Saturday - Monday. Explored the city Sunday with a senior lab member (felt like an interview anyway!) Interviews with multiple lab members the whole day Monday. No social activities, but this is unusual for Penn, usually new recruits get taken out for dinner and have lunch with grad students and postdocs.

Interview Question – What are your career aspirations?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, but later learnt from another postdoc in the same lab that she'd negotiated her salary, based on previous (non-postdoc) experience.
Should've negotiated more time off to go back to visit my family in Europe (we only get 10 days/year).

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations Interview

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2012.

Interview Details – I got an email about a month after I'd applied. I met with two women who were super nice and the interview was so casual. They asked a lot about why I wanted the job and a lot about my previous position and what my goals were (they are really interested in people who want to continue their education with UPENN)

Interview Question – They asked what aspect of my previous job I didn't like the most/wouldn't want to come up in this position. I didn't have a good answer for that.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in May 2009.

Interview Details – Was a fairly easy interview, some basic questions about my line of work were asked as well as a small written test. I had to do an online computer skills based test as well as a personality question based text. Overall the tests were fairly easy and I got the job.

Interview Question – It would be unfair of me to say.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my salary, it went fairly well.

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Senior Programmer Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews typically consist of a phone screen followed by a half-day or whole day session where the candidate meets with multiple individuals and small groups. There is often a lunch session including previously met staff members and new people. Penn looks for strong technical skills and a good cultural fit.

Interview Question – I was asked a few questions regarding specific technology products I had zero experience with. I just stated that I don't know anything about those.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Philadelphia, PA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy. This was ASIC Design Engineer position

Interview Question – Asked mainly about my projects   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in March 2010.

Interview Details – Chat with supervisor by phone, then in person interview a few weeks later. The interview was pretty standard but casual - my supervisor was wearing a t-shirt and jeans! Pretty low pressure. I was prepared, having researched my supervisor's work beforehand and asking the appropriate, informed questions, which every academic candidate should be sure to do.

Didn't get a chance to see the office or culture.

Interview Question – What do you plan to do with your clinical degree/license?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations needed - my supervisor worked hard to get me a higher than average salary because I had unusually extensive work experience for a postdoctoral fellow.

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Laboratory Assistant
Philadelphia, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2010.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. I was asked a few questions about my relevant coursework in college, and why I wanted to work in a biology lab. They sold the lab just as much as I had to sell myself. I was asked for a couple examples of difficult situations working with others and what I thought my best skills were.

Interview Question – What previous lab experience do you have? Any independent research?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Pennsylvania