University of Pennsylvania

2.6

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

The initial interview was short and concise. The manager asked a few questions about customer service and my education background. During the second round of the interview, the supervisor of my manager attended and asked me questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions the manager asked were expected questions.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Phone request for interview. Came for job talk. Everyone was friendly. Long day, but not unlike interviewing for graduate school. Asked back for chalk talk, laid out 1-2 NIH grants. Not that many questions, but that may have had a lot to do with the level of preparation. To some extent they have made up their mind before you get there, so it was mine to lose.

Interview Questions
    • Just preparing for the chalk talk required multiple iterations and time for preparation.   View Answer
    Negotiation was by email. Everything that was said more or less was true. This probably has most to do with the person doing the hiring rather than university policy. Paid for trips back to look for housing. That may have changed by now.

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

National search for top experts in field. Generally 100+ highly qualified candidates per posting at faculty level. University is highly focused on recruiting diversity in hiring process. Would strongly encourage qualified URM candidates to apply as Univ. is really serious about trying to improve diversity.

Interview Questions
    • How will you pay your self and everyone else that works for you? (little known fact - University does not actually pay people - faculty pay the University a share of grants (33% of total money brought in) as rent.   View Answer
    Days of big start up packages for junior recruits are gone. Would focus on how to get up and running where you are, then move when your indirect costs for the next 3 years exceed the amount of $ you would need as a recruiting package to make the move.

Senior Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Very intense and rigorous interview process. I had 6 interviews with different people over a 3 weeks period. Very long background check performed by a third-party company.

Interview Questions
    • questions related to security and methods of authentication   View Answer

Information Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2013.

The process was a very good one. I made connections and talked with very knowledgeable people. They were very open and extremely helpful.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in July 2013.

Interviewed over the phone. Very easy process and seemed like a good fit. Interviews vary in intensity by department.

None

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in January 2013.

I applied online received a call for an interview 3 days later.

Administrative Assistant, Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in September 2012.

I got an email about a month after I'd applied. I met with two women who were super nice and the interview was so casual. They asked a lot about why I wanted the job and a lot about my previous position and what my goals were (they are really interested in people who want to continue their education with UPENN)

Interview Questions
    • They asked what aspect of my previous job I didn't like the most/wouldn't want to come up in this position. I didn't have a good answer for that.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in August 2012.

Presentation and met with lab personnel

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2012.

Typical Postdoc interview. Was asked by the PI to come the following week. Spent about 5 hours speaking with graduate students, MD/PhD students and the PI about their research and what the lab was like. Spoke indiviually with the PI for quite a while about available projects. Presented my thesis work in a 1 hour seminar.

Interview Questions
    • The students are very bright and asked very detailed and difficult questions about my thesis work.   Answer Question
    Postdoc---there is no negotiation.