University of Pennsylvania

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Considering the recent funding status. You have to be really well prepared for the interview process. Basically, you have to be vary familiar with your research and the interest of the lab and try to find the research area that is suitable both for you and the lab. You should also know everything in your field.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Pennsylvania

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2012.

Typical Postdoc interview. Was asked by the PI to come the following week. Spent about 5 hours speaking with graduate students, MD/PhD students and the PI about their research and what the lab was like. Spoke indiviually with the PI for quite a while about available projects. Presented my thesis work in a 1 hour seminar.

Interview Questions
    • The students are very bright and asked very detailed and difficult questions about my thesis work.   Answer Question
    Postdoc---there is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Pennsylvania in March 2010.

Chat with supervisor by phone, then in person interview a few weeks later. The interview was pretty standard but casual - my supervisor was wearing a t-shirt and jeans! Pretty low pressure. I was prepared, having researched my supervisor's work beforehand and asking the appropriate, informed questions, which every academic candidate should be sure to do.

Didn't get a chance to see the office or culture.

Interview Questions
    • What do you plan to do with your clinical degree/license?   View Answer
    No negotiations needed - my supervisor worked hard to get me a higher than average salary because I had unusually extensive work experience for a postdoctoral fellow.