University of Pennsylvania

www.upenn.edu

University of Pennsylvania University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

University of Pennsylvania Interview

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in December 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted lab PI after seeing a job advertized on Nature Jobs
Heard back within a few days
Skype interview arranged within 2 weeks (I was interviewing from Europe). I gave a research presentation (1h with questions) and then talked with the PI (45min) and one postdoc (30min).
In person interview 3 weeks after Skype call. They flew me over Saturday - Monday. Explored the city Sunday with a senior lab member (felt like an interview anyway!) Interviews with multiple lab members the whole day Monday. No social activities, but this is unusual for Penn, usually new recruits get taken out for dinner and have lunch with grad students and postdocs.

Interview Question – What are your career aspirations?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, but later learnt from another postdoc in the same lab that she'd negotiated her salary, based on previous (non-postdoc) experience.
Should've negotiated more time off to go back to visit my family in Europe (we only get 10 days/year).

Worked for University of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!