University of Phoenix

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Academic Counselor Interview

Panel interview, lots of people in a big room, several tables set up with different panels. behavioral based questions, pretty standard. seemed like everyone was in a hurry. granted, this was back in the day when UoP was really expanding.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2014.

I filled out the application online in sept 2014 and passed the assessment. It took a while for me to be contacted (3wks) for the interview phase. Once I was contact I had 1 phone interview, then I was moved on to the face to face interview. I passed the face to face interview and I was notified with an acceptance letter 2 days after the face to face and also to start the background check. My background check only took 3 days to be clear. Then I was given my start date. Overall the whole process took 4 and a half weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral based questions. The interview should be like telling a story, what did you do, how did you handle it, what was the result, and the outcome.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but they pay very well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

There were two parts. First I interviewed with a panel of all directors, which lasted about 40 minutes. Then I had an interview with the hiring manager and another director which lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • I anticipated all the questions that were asked. If you do your homework, the interviews should not be difficult at all.   Answer Question
    Easy, the hiring manager was nice.

Academic Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

They often hire if you have a connection. They call you and and you come in for one interview and then you go through a process of screening that takes a long time ( approximately three weeks to a month) then they call you and offer you the job.

Interview Questions
    • I am a gym member who is thinking of leaving, convince me to stay.   View Answer
    non, you take what they offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2013.

I completed the application online with Apollo Group and withing two day I received an invitation to take an online assessment. If you pass the assessment you will move on to a phone interview with a recruiter. I didn't get a phone interview until a month after takin the assessments. I was asked 4 questions and I did all the talking. The recruiter spent most of the time writing my answers down. The next step was a face to face interview. The face to face was very disappointing. I arrived 15 minutes early but my interviewers were 10 minutes late. This was the first red flag. The entire interview lasted 20 minutes and it was so cold and awkward. They never talked backed an the line of questioning did flow at all. None of the questions pertained to counseling or education at all. This was the second red flag. I was also informed that the position would possibly be phone/email only advising. That was the third red flag for me. at this point I was disgusted with the interview and was ready to leave. Two days later I received my rejection email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lathrop, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lathrop, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2013.

Applied online, did phone interview then took online behavioral test and questionnaire and went in for final interview. Met with supervisor and director of learning center

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

The interview process with UOP is a mess. The first interview is done with several dozen interviewees coming in at once and interviewing with Academic Managers from different divisions in a big function room. You interview for about 10 minutes and answer questions about your customer service and phone skills. If you make it to the next step, HR emails you some scenarios you may encounter as a counselor and you are to answer them as if you are responding to a student. If you pass that test and the background check, then you are hired.

Interview Questions
    • They ask how you overcome difficult customer/situations and want specific examples of customer service success stories and failures. It's kind of hard to remember those on the spot so be prepared.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

interviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2011.

The interview process consisted of online assesments, one phone interview, and one in person interview. All questions are behavior-based questions that require a situatiion, behavior, and outcome in your response.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your manager's decision and what happened.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2010.

It can take a while once you apply. It usually about two months between your application and training start date. There was an initial phone interview, a written assessment, and then an in person interview which was a large cattle call type interview. That process has since changed

There is no negotiation for salary. Everyone starts at the same salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2010.

Phone interview first covers salary, benefits, and basic interview questions. In-person interview conducted by two managers from the department/division you will work for . One usually writes your answers down, the other asks questions. A lot of times they'll play good cop/bad cop (but not to an extreme).

Interviews have changed a bit since I was interviewed. There are a lot more competency-based questions versus and business and data-based questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult is always the most cliche-- "What's your biggest downfall/imperfection/etc."   Answer Question
    There was negotiation. They offered the job and salary and you could either accept or not.