University of Phoenix

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – There were two parts. First I interviewed with a panel of all directors, which lasted about 40 minutes. Then I had an interview with the hiring manager and another director which lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Question – I anticipated all the questions that were asked. If you do your homework, the interviews should not be difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, the hiring manager was nice.

Academic Counselor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – They often hire if you have a connection. They call you and and you come in for one interview and then you go through a process of screening that takes a long time ( approximately three weeks to a month) then they call you and offer you the job.

Interview Question – I am a gym member who is thinking of leaving, convince me to stay.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – non, you take what they offer.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2010.

Interview Details – It can take a while once you apply. It usually about two months between your application and training start date. There was an initial phone interview, a written assessment, and then an in person interview which was a large cattle call type interview. That process has since changed

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation for salary. Everyone starts at the same salary

Sacramento, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone call, panel interview with possibly a second panel interview, then background check.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2013.

Interview Details – I completed the application online with Apollo Group and withing two day I received an invitation to take an online assessment. If you pass the assessment you will move on to a phone interview with a recruiter. I didn't get a phone interview until a month after takin the assessments. I was asked 4 questions and I did all the talking. The recruiter spent most of the time writing my answers down. The next step was a face to face interview. The face to face was very disappointing. I arrived 15 minutes early but my interviewers were 10 minutes late. This was the first red flag. The entire interview lasted 20 minutes and it was so cold and awkward. They never talked backed an the line of questioning did flow at all. None of the questions pertained to counseling or education at all. This was the second red flag. I was also informed that the position would possibly be phone/email only advising. That was the third red flag for me. at this point I was disgusted with the interview and was ready to leave. Two days later I received my rejection email.

Interview Questions

Tempe, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview first covers salary, benefits, and basic interview questions. In-person interview conducted by two managers from the department/division you will work for . One usually writes your answers down, the other asks questions. A lot of times they'll play good cop/bad cop (but not to an extreme).

Interviews have changed a bit since I was interviewed. There are a lot more competency-based questions versus and business and data-based questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult is always the most cliche-- "What's your biggest downfall/imperfection/etc."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was negotiation. They offered the job and salary and you could either accept or not.

Lenexa, KS

I interviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of online assesments, one phone interview, and one in person interview. All questions are behavior-based questions that require a situatiion, behavior, and outcome in your response.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your manager's decision and what happened.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Lathrop, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, did phone interview then took online behavioral test and questionnaire and went in for final interview. Met with supervisor and director of learning center

Interview Question – What goal have you accomplished recently   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – The interview process with UOP is a mess. The first interview is done with several dozen interviewees coming in at once and interviewing with Academic Managers from different divisions in a big function room. You interview for about 10 minutes and answer questions about your customer service and phone skills. If you make it to the next step, HR emails you some scenarios you may encounter as a counselor and you are to answer them as if you are responding to a student. If you pass that test and the background check, then you are hired.

Interview Question – They ask how you overcome difficult customer/situations and want specific examples of customer service success stories and failures. It's kind of hard to remember those on the spot so be prepared.   View Answer

Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was given 3 interviews total. They were all group interviews. I was impressed that the top exec at the site was friendly to all employees; and they went out of their way to talk with him. (No one ran the other way.) Definitely wear a suit!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I had little room for negotiation. Make sure you get decent pay upfront. It seemed like people waited a long time for decent raises.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!