University of Phoenix Adjunct Faculty Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2014

3.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Adjunct Faculty Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

I submitted application along with resume. Interviewed and was asked to prepare a sample 15-minute lecture. After being accepted at this stage, I was invited to participate in a 5-week onground course that not only taught UOP procedures and philosophies but provided the University of Phoenix experience from the student's point of view.

Interview Questions
  • The interview was pretty straight-forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question
No negotiation. They simply informed me what they paid based on my experience and academic credentials.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2011.

The interview process consisted of being contacted by a recruiter and being asked to submit transcripts. Once these documents were received and verified an electronic interview process started with a list of questions related to teaching, teaching philosophy and adult learning theories. This was followed up with a telephone interview from a recruiter and a four week faculty certification course (unpaid). Once that was complete, there was an evaluation course that was conducted under observation and then finally a job offer extended.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard. The majority of the questions were provided via an electronic interview process.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - standard course fees

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

The local leadership has changed dramatically over the past 2 years. When I was hired, I had an initial phone interview with the Department Chair, then a face-to-face interview with her. Once selected, I and cohorts were trained over several weeks in a very thorough manner. In order to be hired, we worked in teams to demonstrate organizational skills, lecturing style and creativity. There was a panel of judges. My team and I were selected, but I believe I am the only one of five who is still employed.

Interview Questions
    • We had to commit to many hours and model projects and assignments similar to what we would expect from our future students. There was considerable observation and behind-the-scenes deliberation, but no interview questions were asked following the prospective employee show and tell. The phone and face-to-face interviews were more of an opportunity to get to know each other. These were chats, not formal questions and answers.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation involved. Each class is five weeks and this is the pay each Master's or Doctoral adjunct receives. It increases slightly with tenure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2008.

The interview and hiring process is very organized and detailed as far as qualifications and steps to be hired: Application, email inquiry, phone interview, email communications, acceptance, training, mentorship, then assignment of one class to teach. Staff is friendly and the process is justified since they want to be sure faculty are capable, qualified, interested, and able to communicate, teach, and represent UOPX as a professional Educator.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any especially difficult questions. They are standard questions, although it can be challenging to answer them on the spot on the phone. The phone interview is difficult because of the lack of contact or face-to-face communication.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation as far as salary. There is a fixed scale as far as credential (MA/MS or PhD).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2012.

Initial communications with the company: I contacted this company because there was a posting for adjunct faculty in my field.
    Organization and planning of the interview: the first interview was written. The directions were very clear. I submitted a successful written interview, so I was granted a phone interview. The phone interview was done very well, very consise. However, I was granted access to the website to set up an account and that was a bit confusing.

Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture: I never met the people face to face. The first person I worked with was great. He responded to emails in a timely manner and was very cordial. The second person I worked with was not good with communication. She was not timely in answering emails and the communication was rather disjointed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe various social and political views on diversity in undeveloped countries.   Answer Question

The timing of the teaching and "training to be an adjunct" was going to interfere with my research schedule.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2011.

The online hiring process was very straightforward and handled online and via phone calls. I had to fax in documents and H/R records but to date I have never actually met any UOP adminstrator face to face.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question was asked,; it was a very straight forward process, candid and direct.   View Answer
    Nothing, it was and is a take it or leave type proposition. In fact, any discussion of wages, job conditions and contracts is banned from the faculty online forums.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

A 16-week interview. 1st a 4-week online training course. If pass, followed by a 2-week specialized training course. If passed and approved, assigned a faculty mentor to work with for 2-3 weeks in preparation for first class. The teach 8-week course with mentor observing. If approved, are then offered contracts as needed.

No negotiation. Salaries are based on length of class and all faculty in School of Advanced Studies have doctorates since teaching is only of doctoral students.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

It is extensive now but was lacking when I interviewed

Interview Questions
    • Preparation and presentation of a class. Like an audition   Answer Question
    No negotiation process. Set schedule of fees

Adjunct Faculty Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

I was first solicited by a rep through LinkedIn, who referred me to a recruiter. The recruiter asked me to fill out paperwork regarding my credentials, including a brief written interview. Following the written interview, I completed a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited to a group assessment where I was asked to make a short presentation from my content area (sample lesson).

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions; very straightforward, scripted, and predictable. Describe a time when you effectively handled a difficult student or situation. How do you know when a student is struggling?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!