University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Admissions Counselor Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2012.

This experience marks the most unprofessional and drawn out interview/screening experience I have ever had. Firstly, I was recruited. I did not directly apply for this position. And I know this is primarily an online university, but at some point, things should be taken OFF-line and a meeting should be held. Especially when one resides in the same city as the position listed.

First I had to take a pretty lengthy three-part test through an online program. Before anyone has even spoken to me, I had to take some convoluted and time-consuming tests.

The kicker was the phone screening that followed that:

1) My interviewer called me 20 minutes late. This was particularly upsetting considering I am currently employed and did the interview during my lunch break.

2) She didn't know jack about me. She didn't even have my resume, so I had to verbally dictate my entire resume to her, which was another complete waste of 20 minutes.

3) She couldn't answer ONE of my questions regarding the position. Not a single one. I had a list of questions but gave up after she said "I don't know" to four of them.

I'm not sure if the girl I interviewed with was new, but it was extremely inconsiderate and unprofessional. I've taken your silly online tests and passed, you've sent me documents asking me to sign my life away without any kind of room for negotiation and I've hesitantly done so, THE LEAST you could do is send me an interviewer who is educated regarding my experiences and that can answer my questions so I can determine whether I truly want to pursue this experience or not. Interviews are a two-way street.

The one question she DID answer was whether the next round of interviews would finally be in-person, to which she said no. It would be yet another phone interview.

OH! And she accidentally called my number again an hour later asking for what I presume to be the next interview candidate. Classy.

If this is how the University of Phoenix operates in the mere beginning stages, I'm nervous as to how the operate internally and as an employer. No thank you.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult part of the interview process is when my not-quite knowledgeable interviewer asked me to speak slowly and take several pauses so she could apparently type every answer I gave her verbatim.   Answer Question

The interview process was very stiff and impersonal. I didn't like how everything seemed set in stone and there was a "take it or leave it" feel to the salary and random hours.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2011.

Initial screening interview to describe the position. Group interview with 5 other candidates and 2 managers. Behaverioal questions..what would you do in this sitution. Told would we contacted if made it to next interview step that would be a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think would be the most challenging part of this position?   View Answer
    • Have you ever taken an on-line course?   View Answer

Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

They basically wanted me to "sale" the school rather than help students matriculate through the university. I understand the school is for profit, however, the students should always be put first. Coming from a University that was under staffed, I understand the essence of quality staff. Even if I was offered the position, I would have kindly declined.