University of Phoenix

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2013.

Interview Details – No unexpected questions

Interview Question – What do you think of the political climate   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Hours

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2013.

Interview Details – The Hiring process was quick, it started out with an assessment a phone interview and then a face to face interview. The whole process was about 4 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me about a recent goal you achieved   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process was simple, if you know someone who refers you to the company. An initial phone call took place to schedule an in depth phone interview, then, an email invitation to a group/panel interview and then a phone call for the job offer.

Interview Question – Why should an adult want to return to school to receive their degree?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was not optional.

Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Question – The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – First interview by phone by area training manager. Second interview on campus by Enrollment manager I would work directly under. Did not show me the noisy call center like environment I would be working in. (everyone in the same room...dividers low so you could see and hear everyone at once. Nor was I able to meet co-workers prior to being hired. Was not made aware that this was a high pressure sales job.

Interview Question – Asked me if I would be able to work with co-workers who were significantly younger. I felt this exhibited ageism, which I experienced after being hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told me at the very start of the first interview that the salary would be $32,000 a year and asked if I would be ok with that. If not ok, the interview would stop there. That didn't much leave room to negotiate once I knew more about the job. I would have liked to receive the job offer before committing to a salary. Once you know they want you, you are in a stronger position to negotiate.

Albuquerque, NM

I applied online - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2008.

Interview Details – I had to prepare a mini workshop (topic of my choice) and train the panel.

Interview Question – providing three adjectives that describe my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had been offered another position with a different company a week before UoP made an offer.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2008.

Interview Details – After posting my resume online, I was contacted by a corporate recruitor from the Orange County campus who was assisting the San Diego Campus staffing needs. A group interview was scheduled, and I made travel plans from Northern California to attend. The group interview was interactive, highlighted interviewing and presentation skills. A callback was placed a couple of days later, and a one-on-one interview was scheduled with the Director of Admissions. An offer was placed a week later. People & management are friendly, and production was the main emphasis.

Interview Question – Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview then a group interview followed by a 1:1 interview. I was hired a day later and started 2 days after that.

Negotiation Details – Everything is pretty set in stone but if this is your thing the pay is good

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2011.

Interview Details – A somewhat uninspiring situational interview taken right out of basic human resources textbooks. "Tell us about a time you used your problem solving skills to satisfy an unhappy customer," and so on. Nothing spontaneous and little free-form discussion. I mentioned that I have an MBA from University of Phoenix, and one of the interviewers told me that they had a directive to not hire (many) UOP graduates. Quite a distressing message about how they value their own product.

No offer, and that suited me well.

Interview Question – How do you feel about being on the phone all day (at work) and having your calls monitored?   View Answers (2)

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2011.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was highly unorganized and ultimately caused me to pass when offered the position.

Approximately 20 days after putting in an online application, I received a phone call from UoP's recruiter. The recruiter seemed a bit rude and clearly in a hurry but we scheduled a phone interview for the following week. He called about 30min late, again very much in a hurry (presumably because he was running late).

The phone interview was very standard.
These were questions like:
“Why do you want to leave your current job?”
“Why are you interested in UoP?”
“Give an example of a time you had quotas to meet?”
“Give me an example of a time you failed to reach your expected numbers?”

The questions were clearly preset, and read off of a script. I could also hear a click after my answers were completed but before he began to ask the next question. I presume this is because I was being recorded for posterity. At the end of the phone interview the recruiter was satisfied with my answers and scheduled an in person interview with the enrolment directors.

I arrived a standard 10min early for my 12:00 interview. 45mins later in a poorly air conditioned lobby, the recruiter came out take me and a couple of other candidates into the back where we made small talk for another 30mins before I was brought individually into the actual interviewing area. I waited outside the room for another 30 minutes before being brought inside and interviewed. In total I started my 12:00 interview at around 2:00pm.

The directors that conducted the interview were very pleasant, and professional. They asked very specific question and clearly wanted very specific examples given.

Some of the questions they ask were:
“Give and example of a time you had to talk someone into doing something they were not sure about doing.”
“Give an example of a project you lead”
Give an example of a time you were recognized for doing a good job”
In short each question. Started with “Give an example of”

About 2 days later I received an email requesting a background check.
5 days later I received a call from the Recruiter offering me the job.

Interview Question – Give us an example of a time when you had goal numbers to meet?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I applied for 2 positions at once and was offered the other position first. However due to the VERY unprofessional way I felt I was treated I probably would have turned down the position anyway.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!