University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

2.9

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2013.

The Hiring process was quick, it started out with an assessment a phone interview and then a face to face interview. The whole process was about 4 weeks.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2013.

No unexpected questions

Hours

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Questions
    • The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question
    They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

First interview by phone by area training manager. Second interview on campus by Enrollment manager I would work directly under. Did not show me the noisy call center like environment I would be working in. (everyone in the same room...dividers low so you could see and hear everyone at once. Nor was I able to meet co-workers prior to being hired. Was not made aware that this was a high pressure sales job.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me if I would be able to work with co-workers who were significantly younger. I felt this exhibited ageism, which I experienced after being hired.   Answer Question
    They told me at the very start of the first interview that the salary would be $32,000 a year and asked if I would be ok with that. If not ok, the interview would stop there. That didn't much leave room to negotiate once I knew more about the job. I would have liked to receive the job offer before committing to a salary. Once you know they want you, you are in a stronger position to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2011.

A somewhat uninspiring situational interview taken right out of basic human resources textbooks. "Tell us about a time you used your problem solving skills to satisfy an unhappy customer," and so on. Nothing spontaneous and little free-form discussion. I mentioned that I have an MBA from University of Phoenix, and one of the interviewers told me that they had a directive to not hire (many) UOP graduates. Quite a distressing message about how they value their own product.

No offer, and that suited me well.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about being on the phone all day (at work) and having your calls monitored?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2011.

The recruitment process was highly unorganized and ultimately caused me to pass when offered the position.

Approximately 20 days after putting in an online application, I received a phone call from UoP's recruiter. The recruiter seemed a bit rude and clearly in a hurry but we scheduled a phone interview for the following week. He called about 30min late, again very much in a hurry (presumably because he was running late).

The phone interview was very standard.
    These were questions like:
    “Why do you want to leave your current job?”
    “Why are you interested in UoP?”
    “Give an example of a time you had quotas to meet?”
    “Give me an example of a time you failed to reach your expected numbers?”

The questions were clearly preset, and read off of a script. I could also hear a click after my answers were completed but before he began to ask the next question. I presume this is because I was being recorded for posterity. At the end of the phone interview the recruiter was satisfied with my answers and scheduled an in person interview with the enrolment directors.

I arrived a standard 10min early for my 12:00 interview. 45mins later in a poorly air conditioned lobby, the recruiter came out take me and a couple of other candidates into the back where we made small talk for another 30mins before I was brought individually into the actual interviewing area. I waited outside the room for another 30 minutes before being brought inside and interviewed. In total I started my 12:00 interview at around 2:00pm.

The directors that conducted the interview were very pleasant, and professional. They asked very specific question and clearly wanted very specific examples given.

Some of the questions they ask were:
    “Give and example of a time you had to talk someone into doing something they were not sure about doing.”
    “Give an example of a project you lead”
    Give an example of a time you were recognized for doing a good job”
    In short each question. Started with “Give an example of”

About 2 days later I received an email requesting a background check.
    5 days later I received a call from the Recruiter offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a time when you had goal numbers to meet?   View Answer

I applied for 2 positions at once and was offered the other position first. However due to the VERY unprofessional way I felt I was treated I probably would have turned down the position anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2011.

I had a recruiter contact me for a telephone interview and she was very energetic, informative and asked many situational questions. When I was through with that she scheduled me for a group/panel interview 3 days later. When I arrived I was sent into a conference type room to wait. Then I was escorted through the floor and into a tiny office with three people. I met with them for apx. 20 minutes where they asked me about 10-15 situational type questions. Two of the interviewers seemed to like my answers and the 3rd kept interrupting my answers asking for clarification which would get me off track mid answer. This interviewer then escorted me out making some odd comment under her breath. Within 24 hours I got an impersonal form email saying that I had not been chosen.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled a clog in the pipe line, when dealing with customer service related problems?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2010.

I had a phone interview then a group interview followed by a 1:1 interview. I was hired a day later and started 2 days after that.

Everything is pretty set in stone but if this is your thing the pay is good

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Florida, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Florida, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2010.

I applied 4 separate times for the position. Finally got a call. Telelphone interview 5 min. Passed that and was told I will be contacted for the next level of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

Contacted 2.5wks after I submitted my resume. Group interview waited 3 days to be called for a second. Time between group interview and 2nd interview was 2.5wks. Had 2nd interview and 2wks later they called to tell me I did not make it round 3 of interviews. I feel that they play games during the interview process. I was early for second interview and they were late. The questions I asked felt more like I was interviewing for a used car sales person not an enrollment counselor. I feel the two men interviewing me were not professional between the eye rolls and sighs.

Interview Questions
    • How are you prepared to sell the University of Phoenix?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the reasons a prospective student would not attend the University of Phoenix?   Answer Question

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!