University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

There was an online application followed by a very brief phone screening from a recruiter. After the phone screening, I had an interview with an Enrollment Manager. I then had another phone interview with Campus Director because I lived out of town. The Campus Director then routed me back to the Campus Director of Enrollment for a final phone interview that felt like more of a formality.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to overcome a objection by a customer. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

After I gave the new my application they set up a phone interview. I really liked the interviewer, she was nice, and we had a good chat. She said they will contact me for an in person interview. Still waiting to have an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had a client who was not happy, what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Dallas, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

The Hiring process was quick, it started out with an assessment a phone interview and then a face to face interview. The whole process was about 4 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Tempe, AZ) in November 2013.

Interview

No unexpected questions

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the political climate   2 Answers

Hours

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Austin, TX).

Interview

The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Questions

• The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview

First interview by phone by area training manager. Second interview on campus by Enrollment manager I would work directly under. Did not show me the noisy call center like environment I would be working in. (everyone in the same room...dividers low so you could see and hear everyone at once. Nor was I able to meet co-workers prior to being hired. Was not made aware that this was a high pressure sales job.

Interview Questions

• Asked me if I would be able to work with co-workers who were significantly younger. I felt this exhibited ageism, which I experienced after being hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me at the very start of the first interview that the salary would be $32,000 a year and asked if I would be ok with that. If not ok, the interview would stop there. That didn't much leave room to negotiate once I knew more about the job. I would have liked to receive the job offer before committing to a salary. Once you know they want you, you are in a stronger position to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Nashville, TN) in July 2011.

Interview

My resume was given to a manager directly. She called, I interviewed with her and then the campus director. I was asked to call manager phone that night and leave a message as if I were speaking to a student who didn't show up for an appointment. The next day I received an offer. There was an immediate background check which I passed. One week later I was on an airplane en route to training.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Atlanta, GA) in June 2011.

Interview

I was places in a room and given a personality test. Then, I was asked to sell a pencil to the hiring manager. The process was longer due to the background check that was completed. The presentation was to ensure that you can quickly comprehend and analyze.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was done via phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Honolulu, HI) in June 2011.

Interview

A somewhat uninspiring situational interview taken right out of basic human resources textbooks. "Tell us about a time you used your problem solving skills to satisfy an unhappy customer," and so on. Nothing spontaneous and little free-form discussion. I mentioned that I have an MBA from University of Phoenix, and one of the interviewers told me that they had a directive to not hire (many) UOP graduates. Quite a distressing message about how they value their own product. No offer, and that suited me well.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about being on the phone all day (at work) and having your calls monitored?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

The recruitment process was highly unorganized and ultimately caused me to pass when offered the position. Approximately 20 days after putting in an online application, I received a phone call from UoP's recruiter. The recruiter seemed a bit rude and clearly in a hurry but we scheduled a phone interview for the following week. He called about 30min late, again very much in a hurry (presumably because he was running late). The phone interview was very standard. These were questions like: “Why do you want to leave your current job?” “Why are you interested in UoP?” “Give an example of a time you had quotas to meet?” “Give me an example of a time you failed to reach your expected numbers?” The questions were clearly preset, and read off of a script. I could also hear a click after my answers were completed but before he began to ask the next question. I presume this is because I was being recorded for posterity. At the end of the phone interview the recruiter was satisfied with my answers and scheduled an in person interview with the enrolment directors. I arrived a standard 10min early for my 12:00 interview. 45mins later in a poorly air conditioned lobby, the recruiter came out take me and a couple of other candidates into the back where we made small talk for another 30mins before I was brought individually into the actual interviewing area. I waited outside the room for another 30 minutes before being brought inside and interviewed. In total I started my 12:00 interview at around 2:00pm. The directors that conducted the interview were very pleasant, and professional. They asked very specific question and clearly wanted very specific examples given. Some of the questions they ask were: “Give and example of a time you had to talk someone into doing something they were not sure about doing.” “Give an example of a project you lead” Give an example of a time you were recognized for doing a good job” In short each question. Started with “Give an example of” About 2 days later I received an email requesting a background check. 5 days later I received a call from the Recruiter offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time when you had goal numbers to meet?   1 Answer

I applied for 2 positions at once and was offered the other position first. However due to the VERY unprofessional way I felt I was treated I probably would have turned down the position anyway.