University of Phoenix

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

Interview Details – Was called by phone and interviewed. After this, was asked to come in for a group interview- a presentation of why I would be best for the position. 3 Min max time allowed. There were about 15 people at this presentation. After, they said they would be calling back those who would move to second interview. I was called. This was a group interview with managers who asked detailed questions about my work experience and how I would handle specific situations. i am currently waiting to hear back as they are doing the background check which can take up to 3 weeks to complete. If selected the training is out of town for 2 weeks with one week in between at the home office.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview Details – long and detailed

Interview Question – how would you build rapport with a potential student   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – misleading this is a sales job not counseling

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2011.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was highly unorganized and ultimately caused me to pass when offered the position.

Approximately 20 days after putting in an online application, I received a phone call from UoP's recruiter. The recruiter seemed a bit rude and clearly in a hurry but we scheduled a phone interview for the following week. He called about 30min late, again very much in a hurry (presumably because he was running late).

The phone interview was very standard.
These were questions like:
“Why do you want to leave your current job?”
“Why are you interested in UoP?”
“Give an example of a time you had quotas to meet?”
“Give me an example of a time you failed to reach your expected numbers?”

The questions were clearly preset, and read off of a script. I could also hear a click after my answers were completed but before he began to ask the next question. I presume this is because I was being recorded for posterity. At the end of the phone interview the recruiter was satisfied with my answers and scheduled an in person interview with the enrolment directors.

I arrived a standard 10min early for my 12:00 interview. 45mins later in a poorly air conditioned lobby, the recruiter came out take me and a couple of other candidates into the back where we made small talk for another 30mins before I was brought individually into the actual interviewing area. I waited outside the room for another 30 minutes before being brought inside and interviewed. In total I started my 12:00 interview at around 2:00pm.

The directors that conducted the interview were very pleasant, and professional. They asked very specific question and clearly wanted very specific examples given.

Some of the questions they ask were:
“Give and example of a time you had to talk someone into doing something they were not sure about doing.”
“Give an example of a project you lead”
Give an example of a time you were recognized for doing a good job”
In short each question. Started with “Give an example of”

About 2 days later I received an email requesting a background check.
5 days later I received a call from the Recruiter offering me the job.

Interview Question – Give us an example of a time when you had goal numbers to meet?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I applied for 2 positions at once and was offered the other position first. However due to the VERY unprofessional way I felt I was treated I probably would have turned down the position anyway.

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2009.

Interview Details – The phone interview described the salary range wich was 35000 to 40000 .
They also asked a lot of brain teaser questions that were difficult to awnswer in my opion.
Like what is the least effective way to manage people?
They also wanted me to give examples of things on my resume.
I dont feel i did very well because i have not heard anything yet.
PS the person giving the interview was not friendly and made me feel very uncofortable

Interview Question – What is the best way to manage people?   View Answers (3)

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume to the hiring manager, I was contacted to attend a group meeting to learn more about the University and the position. At the meeting, we were paired and asked to introduce the person we paired with. After all of the introductins, we were asked to complete our applications and background check authorizations, and that some would be selected to return for a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to introduce someone you only met with for a few minutes to the entire group, taking up to five minutes.   View Answer
  • Asked if any of us were students or graduates of University of Phoenix.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview Details – My interview process is extremely lengthy so far. Some reviews on other sites have classified interviewing with University of Phoenix as a "part time job" and this is very true. I first had a phone interview with a recruiter from out-of-state (a weird area code came up on my phone, so I didn't answer right away). It took the recruiter 5 hours to call me back once I left a return voicemail. The phone interview was not an easy one. Usually, phone interviews just ask you about your last job, education, etc but this one asked questions that required more detailed answers. "so why do you want to be an Enrollment Counselor?" "What do supervisors do to motivate you?" "What are your professional goals?" "How would you deal with a negative situation?" etc.
I was scheduled the next day to go in to meet with the supervisor.

I had a one-on-one interview in a tiny conference room (sitting across a very small table from the interviewer). The interview was over an hour long. The interviewer asked many of the same types of questions as the phone interview. They are those types of questions where you could be "stumped" really easily if you are nervous. If you're good at verbalizing and talking your way through things, you should be fine. But, if you tend to be shy or nervous you may want to practice beforehand...a lot.

I was scheduled the next day for a phone interview role play session with the interviewer/supervisor. The interviewer plays a student (an outgoing/eager one and then a shy/reluctant one). You have to pretend (awkwardly so) that the interviewer is, in fact, a student and you have to sell them on UofP. It is really hard. This is the make or break part of the interview, clearly. My approach was to keep everything positive and to ask the "student" lots of questions and it seemed to work well. However, it is difficult to do this knowing full well you do not know the "Phoenix Way" and could sound like a complete moron in front of your potiental boss. This process took about 30 mins. I had to do each scenario twice. Once, "cold" not knowing anything about the situation. The second time was after the interviewer/supervisor complemented me on things I said/did right and corrected things I said/did wrong. The interviewer asks you to correct specific mistakes in the second exchange with the "student". This, to me, was challenging to do with no preparation and not knowing how I am expected to do things. I guess that's the point.

I was told I could get a follow up call about the next stage(s) in the process.

These involve a second interview, this time with higher management. Also, an extensive background check (credit, school, criminal, traffic, employment) which I was told could take weeks.

The interview process is very, very extensive for what is an entry-level job.

Interview Question – What are some ways you have experienced a supervisor not deal with things correctly?   View Answers (2)

Greenbelt, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2009.

Interview Details – I hope this helps!
I submitted my cover letter and resume, manager called, interviewed me on the phone. Asked what success meant to me, why I should be hired as an enrollment counselor, describe my three weaknesses. How my education and previous work relates to enrollment counselor job description. He told me that I passed the first test and sent me information to come for assessment interview. About 40 individuals showed up one was a white woman two individuals were from abroad and about 37 individuals were Afro Americans men and women. The mangers asked each individual to introduce themselves in one minute. Talk about their education, relevant work/experience and why they should be hired as enrollment counselor. Five managers where there and they observed â?¦and two of them took notes. Sorry to say but one white manager who was taking notes demonstrated nonverbal redneck attitude and would constantly look at us with ignorant look. Few of the mangers were hinting to the manger who was taking note by nodding yes or no by shaking their heads it was so obvious and embarrassing to watch them do that one female manager was standing right front of us was also using her eye movement and head nodding to express who could be a potential candidate. I think they were not very professional. Then one of the managers would pretend to be someone visiting Uni of Phoenix and asked each of us to take turn playing the role of an enrollment counselor. Next they gave a paper with ten variables, motivation, leadership, communication, nonverbal communication, success record, information on University of Phoenix....we were asked to prioritize the list from 1-10...(1 most important 10 the least important. Then we were grouped five in each group and were asked to rank the same variables as a group. They picked a few people to give answer to why they chose certain variable to be more important. Later they told us that there was no right answer which I figured it out but my team members did not agree and I did not push them. Later they showed a presentation of University of phoenix and the role of an enrollment counselor which is telemarketing and gave a five minute break and asked those not interested to leave. Later they asked everyone to go in a room and wait for individual interview. They had a camera and were observing us for behavioral analysis. Later they asked me to come and took me to the room where all the managers were and the Manager who was taking notes told me in a very short manner oh we did not want to tell front of the rest of the people that there is no interview today and we will call you. I was a bit shocked and embarrassed but shook his hand and smiled and said I look forward to hearing from you. When I walked out some other people told me the same story. So I do not know if they will call me...will write back in a few days so those thinking to interview for this position can mentally better prepare themselves.

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online. 2 weeks later, I recieved a phone call from Arizona. I am a current student of UOP so naturally, I thought it was one of my counselors. The interviewer was very nice but firm with the expectations of the position. The questions were rigorous and caught me completely off guard since I did not realize I was going to be doing a phone interview at that moment. I didn't have time to prepare much, but thankfully, I am very creative and managed my way through. I received via email forms to complete and bring to the upcoming group interview. I will have to do a 5 minute presentation, and role play. Wish me luck. :)

Interview Question – What is your definition of success?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Question – The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation

Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Phoenix in November 2013.

Interview Details – No unexpected questions

Interview Question – What do you think of the political climate   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Hours

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!