University of Phoenix

Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.9

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

Hiring process was simple, if you know someone who refers you to the company. An initial phone call took place to schedule an in depth phone interview, then, an email invitation to a group/panel interview and then a phone call for the job offer.

Interview Questions
  • Why should an adult want to return to school to receive their degree?   View Answer
Negotiation was not optional.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2010.

I recieved a call from recruiter, answered general questions about why I would like to work for position. Offered the opportunity to do a group interview, learned about the company, specifics about the position an had to give a three minute presentation about myself and why I would be the best candidate in front of other interviewers. One day later was invited to a panel interview, more interview questions, afterwards the manager stated that they would call back in one week with contingent offer based on passing background check which will take ten days to come back. I am excited about working for Phoenix!

Interview Questions
    Learn about the company, dress professionally, and practice your presentation to make sure that you do not go over your time limit,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2010.

I found the position opening on the Apollo Group's website (www.apollogrp.edu), and I applied by submitting a resume and cover letter. A month or two later, I received a phone call and went through with a thirty-minute initial phone screening/interview (though the person on the other end claimed that the call would only take ten minutes of my time). The phone interview was awkward, especially since I was speaking with someone from the corporate headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona, and also since the questions were predetermined and obviously not in reaction to my experience or qualifications.

I was ultimately selected for an in-person interview at the Merrillville, Indiana, campus a week later after scheduling the interview with a woman from Minnesota. I met with the hiring manager and a senior enrollment counselor at the Merrillville, Indiana, campus a week later. Both were surprisingly stern and emotionless, which made it difficult to gauge their reactions to my answers. I answered with enthusiasm and clarity, though I am unsure whether this approach was appreciated. The questions were very standard and predetermined. Two weeks after this interview, I received an e-mail from the woman in Minnesota in which they wrote, "Though you have many professional qualities, we have selected the most qualified person for this position."

Ouch.

Interview Questions
    • Please rate these four concepts in order of importance: work ethic, winning culture, positive attitude, and (can't remember the last one). Please explain why you list them in this order.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2010.

I submitted my application online. Referred by a employee who forwarded my resume to a recruiter. I later received a email to schedule a telephone interview which took place as scheduled.

An in-person interview was scheduled. Potential recruits & I watched a company a video, took a tour, and performed individual telephone roll plays related to the job position. Lastly, was a personal interview with a hiring manager.

Overall, I felt the interview was exciting, initial the telephone interview will prepare you for in-person interview process so listen well during the telephone recruiters instructions. During the in-person interview it is the telephone roll play is what will get you to a the personal interview with a hiring manager. Only another potential and myself made it to this phase of the interview after our roll plays.

Interview Questions
    • roll play student-
      Why should I enroll as a student to your school instead of XYZ school?

Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate as far as pay, it is given up front during telephone interview. Work hours are negotiable, but business needs give 4 options to choose from. Do a background on the position and company needs before applying.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2010.

I was contacted by University of Phoenix with a phone interview and the next day I had to join a group interview. I did not have enough time to prepare for the presentation or the interview and I shouldn't have scheduled it for the next day knowing thaat I was unprepared. Others in the interview didn't seem to prepared either.

Interview Questions
    • Why do want to work for the University of Phoenix?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2010.

Had one on one interview with senior recruiter, standard questions asked and scheduled second interview. was not aware that it would be a group interview until I visited this site. was only told that I need to prepare a 5 min PowerPoint presentation and the interview should last 45 min. we'll see how the group interview goes tomorrow.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2010.

I got a call from the corporate recruiter and answered a few relatively easy questions (e.g. why do you want to work for UOP, etc.) and was granted a group interview. I had to give a 2 minute sales pitch on why I should be hired in front of the rest of the group. We were told that 5 out of 22 interviewees would get the job. The next step was a panel interview followed by a 1 on 1 interview with the enrollment manager. I got an offer like 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you a good candidate for the job?   Answer Question
    • What are you going to do to establish a relationship with the potential student?   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate salary. I was able to negotiate start date for training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in December 2009.

First contacted by Regional Rep. Warm and inviting personality.

First group Interview experience so was a bit nervous but the posts on GlassDoor.com summed up what I could expect and it was dead on. The interview team was positive and made everyone relaxed. They didn't ovesale the position. Gave it to us straight which was appreciated.

Careful not to go over the 2 minutes for the short "about me" speech. But be sure to go ahead and sell yourself by including something that makes you stand out from the other 10 candidates.

Overall good experience and great place to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2009.

I hope this helps!
    I submitted my cover letter and resume, manager called, interviewed me on the phone. Asked what success meant to me, why I should be hired as an enrollment counselor, describe my three weaknesses. How my education and previous work relates to enrollment counselor job description. He told me that I passed the first test and sent me information to come for assessment interview. About 40 individuals showed up one was a white woman two individuals were from abroad and about 37 individuals were Afro Americans men and women. The mangers asked each individual to introduce themselves in one minute. Talk about their education, relevant work/experience and why they should be hired as enrollment counselor. Five managers where there and they observed â?¦and two of them took notes. Sorry to say but one white manager who was taking notes demonstrated nonverbal redneck attitude and would constantly look at us with ignorant look. Few of the mangers were hinting to the manger who was taking note by nodding yes or no by shaking their heads it was so obvious and embarrassing to watch them do that one female manager was standing right front of us was also using her eye movement and head nodding to express who could be a potential candidate. I think they were not very professional. Then one of the managers would pretend to be someone visiting Uni of Phoenix and asked each of us to take turn playing the role of an enrollment counselor. Next they gave a paper with ten variables, motivation, leadership, communication, nonverbal communication, success record, information on University of Phoenix....we were asked to prioritize the list from 1-10...(1 most important 10 the least important. Then we were grouped five in each group and were asked to rank the same variables as a group. They picked a few people to give answer to why they chose certain variable to be more important. Later they told us that there was no right answer which I figured it out but my team members did not agree and I did not push them. Later they showed a presentation of University of phoenix and the role of an enrollment counselor which is telemarketing and gave a five minute break and asked those not interested to leave. Later they asked everyone to go in a room and wait for individual interview. They had a camera and were observing us for behavioral analysis. Later they asked me to come and took me to the room where all the managers were and the Manager who was taking notes told me in a very short manner oh we did not want to tell front of the rest of the people that there is no interview today and we will call you. I was a bit shocked and embarrassed but shook his hand and smiled and said I look forward to hearing from you. When I walked out some other people told me the same story. So I do not know if they will call me...will write back in a few days so those thinking to interview for this position can mentally better prepare themselves.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2009.

1. Recruiter contacted me over phone 1 month after I applied for the position.
    2. Scheduled a group interview. Had to do presentation, answer questions, and role play.
    Questions consisted of asking what my previous employer would say of my work, strengths and weaknesses, and a role play where I was already an enrollment counselor and one of the interviewers was a student (this was HARD!).
    3. One week later there was a 30 min. 1:1 interview with director of local campus.
    4. 2 week wait to be offered job.

Interview Questions
    • What role would you play in a group project. Are u a leader or a follower?   Answer Question