University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2015

2.8

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2009.

Interview

1. Recruiter contacted me over phone 1 month after I applied for the position.
2. Scheduled a group interview. Had to do presentation, answer questions, and role play.
Questions consisted of asking what my previous employer would say of my work, strengths and weaknesses, and a role play where I was already an enrollment counselor and one of the interviewers was a student (this was HARD!).
3. One week later there was a 30 min. 1:1 interview with director of local campus.
4. 2 week wait to be offered job.

Interview Questions

• What role would you play in a group project. Are u a leader or a follower?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2009.

Interview

Easiest interview ever. You basically have a simple phone interview. Then you come in and meet with a few managers and conduct a mock phone counseling session.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any planned absences in the next 90 days. They asked this a lot for some reason.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for enrollment counselor role. $33K, take it or leave it.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Phoenix in August 2009.

Interview

Started off doing a phone interview everything went great, I then got invited into a group interview were we watched a brief presentation. We were asked to be in the role of a enrollment counselor and iterview the person next to me, when i left i was asked to come back and do another interview which is in a few days hopefullly all will go well

Interview Questions

• when was a time that you failed on the job and how did you fix it   1 Answer

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview

My interview process is extremely lengthy so far. Some reviews on other sites have classified interviewing with University of Phoenix as a "part time job" and this is very true. I first had a phone interview with a recruiter from out-of-state (a weird area code came up on my phone, so I didn't answer right away). It took the recruiter 5 hours to call me back once I left a return voicemail. The phone interview was not an easy one. Usually, phone interviews just ask you about your last job, education, etc but this one asked questions that required more detailed answers. "so why do you want to be an Enrollment Counselor?" "What do supervisors do to motivate you?" "What are your professional goals?" "How would you deal with a negative situation?" etc.
    I was scheduled the next day to go in to meet with the supervisor.

I had a one-on-one interview in a tiny conference room (sitting across a very small table from the interviewer). The interview was over an hour long. The interviewer asked many of the same types of questions as the phone interview. They are those types of questions where you could be "stumped" really easily if you are nervous. If you're good at verbalizing and talking your way through things, you should be fine. But, if you tend to be shy or nervous you may want to practice beforehand...a lot.

I was scheduled the next day for a phone interview role play session with the interviewer/supervisor. The interviewer plays a student (an outgoing/eager one and then a shy/reluctant one). You have to pretend (awkwardly so) that the interviewer is, in fact, a student and you have to sell them on UofP. It is really hard. This is the make or break part of the interview, clearly. My approach was to keep everything positive and to ask the "student" lots of questions and it seemed to work well. However, it is difficult to do this knowing full well you do not know the "Phoenix Way" and could sound like a complete moron in front of your potiental boss. This process took about 30 mins. I had to do each scenario twice. Once, "cold" not knowing anything about the situation. The second time was after the interviewer/supervisor complemented me on things I said/did right and corrected things I said/did wrong. The interviewer asks you to correct specific mistakes in the second exchange with the "student". This, to me, was challenging to do with no preparation and not knowing how I am expected to do things. I guess that's the point.

I was told I could get a follow up call about the next stage(s) in the process.

These involve a second interview, this time with higher management. Also, an extensive background check (credit, school, criminal, traffic, employment) which I was told could take weeks.

The interview process is very, very extensive for what is an entry-level job.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you have experienced a supervisor not deal with things correctly?   2 Answers

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview

There were two phone calls, they each consisted of 10 minutes of questions that I thought were very valid and benficial to the job description. They asked me to refrain from asking salary questions until our face to face interview. I am scheduled for that session tomorrow morning. Very positive so far.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2009.

Interview

I was contacted approx a week after submitting my resume. After that the following day I was scheduled for an interview. Once I go there the interview consisted of filling out the application and background check information as well as a bid for your schedule request. Once you complete the paperwork you are then required to wait until 2 hiring managers come and interview you.. During that interview you are asked to role play and questions about how the position would fit you and your prior work history. After that they tell you to go back to the recruiter and they tell you backgrouind check takes about 7-14 business days and if you are chosen they will contact you. After that I was then contacted that same day advising me that I was selected to comeback for a second interview. I then interviewed in a room with one manager and other applicants. I am then asked more questions about how the job fits my goals and the UofP philosophy. After that I was sent an email explaining that I was selected to continue further in the hiring process contingent on me passing the background check. I was then informed to be available at all times so that someone could contact me to verify the information I provided on my background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I haven't been given an official offer as of yet. I will comment when that occurs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2009.

Interview

long and detailed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

misleading this is a sales job not counseling

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2009.

Interview

After submitting my resume to the hiring manager, I was contacted to attend a group meeting to learn more about the University and the position. At the meeting, we were paired and asked to introduce the person we paired with. After all of the introductins, we were asked to complete our applications and background check authorizations, and that some would be selected to return for a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to introduce someone you only met with for a few minutes to the entire group, taking up to five minutes.   1 Answer
    • Asked if any of us were students or graduates of University of Phoenix.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2009.

Interview

You and the other candidates are interviewed in a group setting. You are told a bit about the company and what the job entails. Then you are asked to give a presentation in front of the other candidates. You are to present as though you are talking with a potential student.

Interview Questions

• No real questions during the first interview. You have to give a presentation in front of the other candidates and the two people doing the interview.   1 Answer

This is a telemarketing job. It is a great job for someone with no or limited sales experience.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Phoenix in May 2009.

Interview

1. A recruiter will contact me for a prescreening conversation
    2. I was e-mailed forms that your to to complete before the interview
    3. I was brought in for an interview, unknown to me, this consisted of a panel interview and the panel asking me question and writing down my response
    4. The panel left me in the room and then said they had to set out to talk
    5. The manager stated they would contact me and let me know since they had others to interview for the position
    6. I received a phone call later that same day askig for another interview would then consist of a presentation

Interview Questions

• (Approximate phrasing) How long would you plan on staying with us, if we hire you on?   Answer Question