University of Phoenix

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Average Difficulty
209 candidate interviews

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2010.

Interview Details – Was called by phone and interviewed. After this, was asked to come in for a group interview- a presentation of why I would be best for the position. 3 Min max time allowed. There were about 15 people at this presentation. After, they said they would be calling back those who would move to second interview. I was called. This was a group interview with managers who asked detailed questions about my work experience and how I would handle specific situations. i am currently waiting to hear back as they are doing the background check which can take up to 3 weeks to complete. If selected the training is out of town for 2 weeks with one week in between at the home office.

Interview Questions

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview Details – long and detailed

Interview Question – how would you build rapport with a potential student   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – misleading this is a sales job not counseling

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – STAR method, behaivoral interview. Come prepared to account for every opportunity and mistake you have made and how you overcame it.

Interview Question – Name a time when you faced adversity in the work place.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix.

Interview Details – The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Question – The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation

SSM Interview

SSM
Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2011.

Interview Details – Behavioral based. Google that term and you will know what to expect.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when something backfired.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had help getting an interview because I know someone at University of Phoenix. I had a phone interview that consisted of several questions that were not easy, but not hard. Then I had an in person interview with two Enrollment Directors. That was very difficult. The questons were complex and abstract. I wish I could remember them all. They took notes the entire interview. I didn't feel like I did a great job, and sure enough, within 2 days, I got a rejection letter via email.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to use good judgement and logic to make a tough decision.   Answer Question

Enrollment Advisor

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had a current UoP employee (an enrollment advisor) refer me to this position. The interviewing process was pretty stupid. They contacted me via email upon receiving resume. They then set up an online assessment. The assesment consist of three parts: reasoning, personality, and workstyle (I think). Long story short, I could tell that the evaulation was searching for individuals who wouldn't mind being on the phone all day with little to no variation in their daily work activities. This job description totally did not meet my list of most favorite things-to-do, and the test confirmed my lack of interest.

Interview Question – Didn't make it passed the online assessment.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in January 2012.

Interview Details – I posted my resume online and located by a recruiter who performed a brief initial interview. The next step was another interview - behavioral interview by a different recruiter. The next step was with the hiring manager who continued with a behavioral interview. I was not given any indication of my performance or their interest during any of the interviews.

Interview Questions

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Phoenix in June 2011.

Interview Details – Asked to take an online skills/personality test. Recruiter called and scheduled a phone interview. Conducted grueling phone interview with specific behavioral questions such as, "Tell me a specific time when you managed a stressful situation at work." After phone interview, I was asked to meet with a panel for an interview. The panel was two managers on site. They asked more behavioral questions. They were very honest about what the job entailed.

Interview Question – "Tell us about a time when you helped a difficult customer and how did the customer respond to you."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – All employees for this position are hired at the same rate. There is no negotiating salary, but the starting salary is very fair.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Adjunct Faculty
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Phoenix in April 2008.

Interview Details – The interview and hiring process is very organized and detailed as far as qualifications and steps to be hired: Application, email inquiry, phone interview, email communications, acceptance, training, mentorship, then assignment of one class to teach. Staff is friendly and the process is justified since they want to be sure faculty are capable, qualified, interested, and able to communicate, teach, and represent UOPX as a professional Educator.

Interview Question – I do not remember any especially difficult questions. They are standard questions, although it can be challenging to answer them on the spot on the phone. The phone interview is difficult because of the lack of contact or face-to-face communication.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as far as salary. There is a fixed scale as far as credential (MA/MS or PhD).

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!