University of Phoenix Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Enrollment Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

application submitted through friend, phone interview, panel interview, then hired. This was 8 years ago, the process has changed since then. Now all positions are applied for and considered through career builder. Referral is a plus and preferred.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2013.

Filled out an interview online.
    Emailed to fill out an assessment.
    Phone Interview a week later.
    In person interview a week later.
    Phone call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • A time you had to overcome a challenge? All pretty standard.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Academic Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2013.

I completed the application online with Apollo Group and withing two day I received an invitation to take an online assessment. If you pass the assessment you will move on to a phone interview with a recruiter. I didn't get a phone interview until a month after takin the assessments. I was asked 4 questions and I did all the talking. The recruiter spent most of the time writing my answers down. The next step was a face to face interview. The face to face was very disappointing. I arrived 15 minutes early but my interviewers were 10 minutes late. This was the first red flag. The entire interview lasted 20 minutes and it was so cold and awkward. They never talked backed an the line of questioning did flow at all. None of the questions pertained to counseling or education at all. This was the second red flag. I was also informed that the position would possibly be phone/email only advising. That was the third red flag for me. at this point I was disgusted with the interview and was ready to leave. Two days later I received my rejection email.

Finance Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Phoenix in October 2013.

Applied Online and compeleted an assessment. Recieved a call from an HR Business Partner and had a phone interview. At the end of the interview I was scheduled for a face to face interview with two managers. The interview went pretty well once I figured out how to get to the building - no driving or parking instructions were provided by HR nor were any phone numbers to call should I need assistance - the interview lasted about an hour and I felt excited when I left. I was called the next day and offered a position contingent upon a background check. The check took about 10 days and then I was called and told I would be contacted with a start date - originally I was told the start date would be November 4 - then I was told it might be November 18th - ultimately I started on 12/2/2013. The time between my first offer and actually getting a start date was three weeks - I really wondered if I actually had a job or not - but once I got my start date I felt a little better - even though it was still another month before I finally got working.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time when you had to convince someone to make a difficult decision. What did you say or do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation for salary - they tell you upfront so you know what to expect before you even get an offer.

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2013.

You apply electronically through their website and if selected, receive an invitation to take a series of tests to assess your supposed suitability for the job. If you make it past this screening, you receive an email invitation for a phone interview, which, if successful, leads to a final face-to-face interview (I've heard of some people having a phone interview as their final interview).

I made it through to the final, face-to-face interview. The phone interview was brutal, lasting about an hour. My head hurt afterward. The questions are of the "behavioral" interview classification, where they ask you to elaborate on scenarios where you demonstrated and performed a certain way in the workplace. Example: "Describe a time where you were forced to make a decision at work you didn't want to make. What was your thought process and what was the decision?"

The final interview was more of the same, and you're told this in the phone interview. I had read reviews of final interviews lasting more than an hour, so when mine was less than that I didn't take it as a good sign - although I was relieved it was over. Too much to endure for such an entry-level position! I knew I was over-qualified walking in (so did my interviewers) and I was already an instructor with the University so I didn't know what they expected - they knew my work history from my resume and phone interview so I have no idea why they would even interview me further knowing they wouldn't hire me. I have several friends in other states who have gone on numerous interviews to no avail as well, and everyone knows this is a call-center type of job, with quotas, in a call-center environment with a lot of turnover. What on earth could they be looking for? My interviewers and I both knew it was a job I could do in my sleep.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all of the same level of difficulty. My example above: "Describe a time where you were forced to make a decision at work you didn't want to make. What was your thought process and what was the decision?" Having to sift through many positions in my work history over the years to come up with this exact scenario from that one job, and then expound on it, was exhausting. This is a better position, I think, for a recent grad who hasn't worked too many previous jobs.   View Answer

Finance Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

Telephone interview with an HR representative followed by a face-to-face interview with two managers.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, all employees start at the same rate for this position.

Enrollment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2013.

Send in your resume and work as a counselor and enroll student, get promoted

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a manager? How does that make you feel?   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Hiring and Interview process have changed significantly over the years and I expect they will continue to change as time moves on. The hiring process usually starts with the training team who sort through applications and resumes. Actual interviews in later stages are usually conducted by active managers and director.

Interview Questions
    • Expect questions related to customer service, core values of the university, working with difficult team members and customers.   Answer Question

Workforce Solutions Advisor Interview

Phone screen is first followed by a live interview with hiring manager and regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions were typical and common with those of other companies.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Phoenix.

The Austin location goes through staffing agencies and you will apply online with them and be called in for a quick face-to-face interview. They then schedule you for a group interview where the University has a presentation and slowly pulls each person back for 1-1 interviews. They ask typical questions for cold-call sales and then send you back to the big room - if you did well.At the end of the process, those left will move on to the third portion which is a role play phone call.

Interview Questions
    • The cold call role play was not expected and the manager will call you and pretend they are a student who inquired online. They will be difficult and your goal is to get them in to the school or enroll. You have to do this without knowing anything about the programs and tuition so it is just a way to see if you can overcome no and not sound to pushy.   Answer Question
    They hire you Temp to Perm through an agency so there is no negotiation