University of Pittsburgh Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

2.6

Systems Programmer III Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in July 2014.

Applied online through PittSource (the university's online job posting system). Application required 3 references, complete job/salary and education experience. Four weeks after I applied (I actually applied for two positions in the same department), I received an email requesting a date and time for a phone interview regarding both positions. The call consisted of two team members of the department. The phone interview required a walk through of a coding example (I was not able to access the internet at the time so we did it verbally). After the sample, we discussed previous work experiences as related to coding and testing, the position and department, expectations, salary, and benefits. I was told during the call that they wanted me back in for a second interview, and that someone would be in touch with me within the next couple of weeks. I received another email two days later requesting an in person interview with the two team members I spoke with on the phone, the interview was set up for the following Tuesday (8 days after the phone interview).

I was used to onsite interviews, this one was a little different. I was in a room with the team members and was asked to code two samples in Java (routine examples). They were straight forward, however I had more experience with hardware than software. The difference between this interview and others was how the interviewers interacted with me. I was talking my way through, bouncing ideas off of them, and received solid feedback on my ideas. Usually in most interviews, I would get a stare or be told they couldn’t help. After the coding samples, there were “theoretical” questions. I was asked about examples on synchronization, programming limitations (hardware bound), and others. Lastly, I was shown some of the projects the team currently, and previously, worked on.

I was called the next day to be informed, that assuming all the paperwork went through and that my references were solid, I would be getting an official offer. That same day, all my references called me to tell me Pitt called them. Two weeks later, I received the official offer. From initial application date, the process took about two months. From first interview to official offer, took about three and a half weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had to perform calculations on millions of data points and each calculation is 5 seconds, how would I speed it up?   View Answer
    • You would earn more for a similar position in a corporation than you will here in academia. What would make you want to earn less at this position?   View Answer
    The interviewers were honest from the get go. They positioned to me that I wouldn't earn as much in academia, for my skill set, as I would in a corporation. At the end of the in person interview, we came down to salary (which we did in the phone interview as well). I told them what I was looking for (which was mid-range for the position posting). I explained why I was looking for that salary. He said he understood, and that they were looking for a specific range. When I received the call the day after, and they told me the salary they were looking to offer me, they said I could discuss it with HR if I had any issues with it. They actually offered me more than I was asking for, in the mid-upper half of the range for the position (technically I am entry level based on official work experience, not including internships). When HR called with the official offer, we discussed more of the benefits side so I could see if I wanted to negotiate a higher salary. In the end I did not, mostly because the benefits are far better than most companies were offering.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I did not have an interview. After obtaining admission to the PhD program, I send my CV to a professor and was recruited to this position. This kind of jobs are based on availability of funding and the fit between your research interests and your recruiter.

Research Associate Interview

I gave a talk onsite about my work. I gave a talk onsite about my work.I gave a talk onsite about my work.I gave a talk onsite about my work.

Alumni Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2014.

HR Call to set up an phone interview, a phone interview screening, in-person interview with the head of department and then with two other employees, a final interview is needed. simple behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Applying for Data Analyst At Department Name 01061-IA-Office of the Vice Chancellor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2014.

Onsite interview was normal on early time of May 2014, they said they would give me a further reply in one week,
    then I emailed them on the seventh day, they answered me that decision would be made soon...
    after than they never replied me although I tried contacting them a couple of times.
    I did need at least one NO message. I finally gave up and moved on.

Interview Questions
    • Normal, they required candidates should have some experience on big data like handoop sql programming and statistics analysis .   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

basic tech interview process

Interview Questions
    • fair questions, a lots of questions about project experience   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in April 2014.

I applied online via the University of Pittsburgh website. I got a call about two weeks later to set up a Skype interview. The Skype interview was with four members of the Pitt staff. It was wonderful! So much better than a 15 minute phone screening! The interview was about a half hour long, but only because I had questions to ask and they provided thorough answers. They stopped questioning after about 15 minutes. Everyone was so conversational and friendly. I had that interview on a Friday and got a phone call on Monday to schedule an in person interview. The in person interview was scheduled the following Monday. I interviewed with Dr. James Earle for the first hour and then with two members of the Pitt Staff who had higher positions than the initial Skype interview. They were all amazing to talk to and I actually walked away from the interview feeling inspired. I have not found out yet about an offer or otherwise, but I had such a good experience I still count it as a win!

Interview Questions
    • 1) If you were in a car with a negative person, how would you handle it and how does that apply to this position?

2) Name three weaknesses. This was hard for me because I only had one prepared. haha
        View Answer

Student Fundraiser Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

First, there is a email that notify me about an interview, then I scheduled a time for interview. After the interview, we had the second interview on phone within one week. Before she make the final decision, she also understands that I will be able to come to the training. The environment is great. People are very nice here.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me one instance when you work with difficult people   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate as a student worker

Administrative Support III Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

The hiring and interview process for the work study positions is very laid back and not that involved, but that is probably because it is a student part-time position! My boss met with me and took me on a tour of the office and asked me about myself and my studies, and just tried to get a feel of if I can juggle everything!

Computer Lab Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in March 2014.

basic interview questions, how did you hear about the position, discussed hours

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a dispute with a coworker and what did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question
    Wage is non negotiable, hours are flexible

Worked for University of Pittsburgh? Contribute to the Community!