University of Pittsburgh Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.5

PhD Student Interview

Interview

The application process was very standard for applying to an engineering school within the United States. A personal statement was required along with information of past employment and schooling. There was no other unique features to the application process for the engineering school at Pitt in terms of applying as a Ph.D. level graduate student. There was no interview process before an offer of acceptance into the school. During the departmental recruitment weekend there was plenty of time to interact with current students and faculty who were willing to talk openly and frankly about their own research and their own time/experiences in school and working at Pitt.

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

I had a short phone call and was then flown in one afternoon. Had lunch with a faculty member and then left to my own devices for the rest of the day/night. The next day, I had back to back meetings for about 6-7 hrs without lunch before getting back on a plane. It was not as friendly or welcoming as other faculty positions I had where I was taken to social events/meals, shown around neighborhoods and the campus, just got to chat, meet with people outside the department, meet with deans/chairs/office of research/students, etc. Shortly after I was sent an offer letter and was told there was no negotiating. I expected to also sign a written contract but one was never provided.

Interview Questions

• I presented my research interests and the areas I wanted to pursue.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Met with principal investigator of the lab and talked about the research in the lab and my previous experience. Discussed what my role in the project would be. Discussed how many years I planned to stay.

Systems Programmer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

HR phone screening. Hiring manager sent emailed questions. Hiring manager brought in for interview with herself and then two other staff. Waiting for a few weeks, manager emailed me randomly saying I am still in the running but the hiring process at Pitt takes months. Job offer, started in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Basic computer questions and customer service "ethical" questions   Answer Question
    • How do you cope with a stressful situation at work where you can't figure something out on your own?   Answer Question
    • Empathize more with Kirk or Spock?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward. I met with the different people involved in the research process, and learned about the research projects of the office. The questions were also straightforward, focusing on my previous experience and standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe a time that I had taken initiative.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pitts, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

overview of the job, what was to be expected of me, hours days travel, sat with 4 people for about an hour, relaxed setting showed me the facility met with the person someone would be replacing. seemed organized and well thought out study

Interview Questions

• what do I see myself doing in 5 years   1 Answer

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, heard back three weeks later via email to schedule a phone interview with three people. The usual questions, talked about job-specific software skills, public outreach, my previous work and research experience. They seemed as if they knew my application materials pretty well and seemed interested in doing an in-person interview. They said they would contact me in the next week about doing one, never did, and never responded to my follow-up emails. I saw a somewhat similar position posted a month later (possibly putting half the job responsibilities to someone else and increasing the technical aspects of the work) and think it's possible they rewrote the job. I guess that was too hard to tell a candidate who was very interested in the position?

Interview Questions

• Specifics of a software to make sure I actually knew what I was talking about.   Answer Question

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2014.

Interview

Sat down with the PI, discussed my experience, goals for the project, and how I would tackle the goals and problems that would arise. Asked for my opinion on certain aspects of the project, and how I could do it better,

Career Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

Interviewed with Pitt through a phone screen which lasted about 30 minutes. Was fairly straightforward. Came to campus and spent full day interviewing. Interview included 30 minute presentation and several interview sessions with a variety of different groups of people. I then waited 6 months before receiving an offer. I confirmed later that this delay wasn't because I wasn't their first choice, it's because HR at Pitt is very slow - think sloths, riding a molasses river, in January.

Interview Questions

• Please provide an example of a time you created something new. How did you make it great?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Department does not negotiate. They are on fixed salary levels

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

As with any institution the process is long. Had to give presentations and meet with 4 people individually. Not sure why I had to talk one on one with so many Deans and Department Chairs