University of Pittsburgh

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got the opportunity by making a relationship with one of my teachers. She asked if I wanted to help with research for credits and I complied. The interview required speaking with several members of the psychology department and after being hired I had to be cleared for different requirements.

Interview Question – What can you do for this school?   View Answer

Applying for Data Analyst At Department Name 01061-IA-Office of the Vice Chancellor Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2014.

Interview Details – Onsite interview was normal on early time of May 2014, they said they would give me a further reply in one week,
then I emailed them on the seventh day, they answered me that decision would be made soon...
after than they never replied me although I tried contacting them a couple of times.
I did need at least one NO message. I finally gave up and moved on.

Interview Question – Normal, they required candidates should have some experience on big data like handoop sql programming and statistics analysis .   Answer Question

Alumni Coordinator Interview

Alumni Coordinator
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2014.

Interview Details – HR Call to set up an phone interview, a phone interview screening, in-person interview with the head of department and then with two other employees, a final interview is needed. simple behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in this field?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the University of Pittsburgh website. I got a call about two weeks later to set up a Skype interview. The Skype interview was with four members of the Pitt staff. It was wonderful! So much better than a 15 minute phone screening! The interview was about a half hour long, but only because I had questions to ask and they provided thorough answers. They stopped questioning after about 15 minutes. Everyone was so conversational and friendly. I had that interview on a Friday and got a phone call on Monday to schedule an in person interview. The in person interview was scheduled the following Monday. I interviewed with Dr. James Earle for the first hour and then with two members of the Pitt Staff who had higher positions than the initial Skype interview. They were all amazing to talk to and I actually walked away from the interview feeling inspired. I have not found out yet about an offer or otherwise, but I had such a good experience I still count it as a win!

Interview Question – 1) If you were in a car with a negative person, how would you handle it and how does that apply to this position?

2) Name three weaknesses. This was hard for me because I only had one prepared. haha
  View Answer

Computer Lab Consultant Interview

Computer Lab Consultant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in March 2014.

Interview Details – basic interview questions, how did you hear about the position, discussed hours

Interview Question – Have you ever had a dispute with a coworker and what did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wage is non negotiable, hours are flexible

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2010.

Interview Details – I just got call for an interview from my boss, while I was a visiting student from abroad.
He offered me the position.

Interview Question – For me was easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. He said that my salary will be between 30k and 35k. It end it up to be 30k.

Secretary III - Administrative Assistant Interview

Secretary III - Administrative Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in January 2010.

Interview Details – Manager called me and invited me for an interview. At the interview, the manager expressed concern over the hiring range (being much lower than what I was making at my previous employer). It was my impression that their is not much room for negotiation and the manager is not given discretion to make a higher offer. After a week I was offered the job at a slightly higher number and the manager stated this was the best they could do. I believed them and accepted the offer.

Interview Question – Can you carry out a work assignment that you morally disagree with the subject matter of?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I firmly expressed at the end of my interview that I am interested in the job if it pays on the highest end of the hiring range. After a great interview I believe this was well received and the manager went to their superior to ask for it. In retrospect I am glad that I pushed for the highest starting salary because raises are set at an amount that could never make up for or even out a low pay.

Research Technician III Interview

Research Technician III
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in July 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with two different departments both of which had similar expectations, interview questions, and requirements. Questions were relatively standard. My best advice is to add something personal to the question/answer portion of the interview that will make the interviewer remember you and help you stand out from the applicant pool.

Interview Question – Specifics on experimental techniques that I had no previous experience with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the offer as is and did not negotiate.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in December 2011.

Interview Details – Usually the university advertises the post-doc jobs on their website. You can apply to the individual faculty and someone emails you to set-up an interview with the faculty. Faculties usually ask about previous work experience, kind of work one did, kind of expertise one has. Sometimes they give few papers to understand the future work and calls for a 2nd interview to listen about new ideas after reading the papers

Interview Question – Coming up with some new idea of work after reading few papers is some times difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was not much room of negotiation. Looking at the grant situation post-docs usually don't negotiate much about salaries

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in November 2011.

Interview Details – Setting up a meeting with a prospective professor. Application process and follow-up. Acceptance. Application for funding. Final terms

Interview Question – Would you be interested in working on this project? (when you know little about the subject)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Smooth

Worked for University of Pittsburgh? Contribute to the Community!