University of Pittsburgh

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Secretary III - Administrative Assistant Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in January 2010.

Interview Details – Manager called me and invited me for an interview. At the interview, the manager expressed concern over the hiring range (being much lower than what I was making at my previous employer). It was my impression that their is not much room for negotiation and the manager is not given discretion to make a higher offer. After a week I was offered the job at a slightly higher number and the manager stated this was the best they could do. I believed them and accepted the offer.

Interview Question – Can you carry out a work assignment that you morally disagree with the subject matter of?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I firmly expressed at the end of my interview that I am interested in the job if it pays on the highest end of the hiring range. After a great interview I believe this was well received and the manager went to their superior to ask for it. In retrospect I am glad that I pushed for the highest starting salary because raises are set at an amount that could never make up for or even out a low pay.

Research Technician III Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in July 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with two different departments both of which had similar expectations, interview questions, and requirements. Questions were relatively standard. My best advice is to add something personal to the question/answer portion of the interview that will make the interviewer remember you and help you stand out from the applicant pool.

Interview Question – Specifics on experimental techniques that I had no previous experience with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the offer as is and did not negotiate.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in December 2011.

Interview Details – Usually the university advertises the post-doc jobs on their website. You can apply to the individual faculty and someone emails you to set-up an interview with the faculty. Faculties usually ask about previous work experience, kind of work one did, kind of expertise one has. Sometimes they give few papers to understand the future work and calls for a 2nd interview to listen about new ideas after reading the papers

Interview Question – Coming up with some new idea of work after reading few papers is some times difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was not much room of negotiation. Looking at the grant situation post-docs usually don't negotiate much about salaries

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in November 2011.

Interview Details – Setting up a meeting with a prospective professor. Application process and follow-up. Acceptance. Application for funding. Final terms

Interview Question – Would you be interested in working on this project? (when you know little about the subject)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Smooth

Research Assistant III Interview

Research Assistant III
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process took forever but once you get an interview it kind of goes fast.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was stated correctly in the job description   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initially, the salary was suppose to be 32k but I negotiated to 34k. This is a rare occasion with negotiating for a research position.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was very rigorous , onsite was relatively easy. behavioral questions mainly

Interview Question – why do you want to leave your current job   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – another offer from uiowa

Project Manager Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, second Phone with hiring manager, meeting with supervisor

Interview Question – Describe how you would handle (example of project ) this project, providing as much detail as possible.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple, Asked for salary and was given salary

Web Administrator Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in October 2012.

Interview Details – First is a phone interview, they asked what skills do I have and described the job.
Then I came to the office, they showed me the website and expectation about the website. And asked me if I can do that.

Interview Question – All the question are basic, no difficult and unexpected question.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in March 2009.

Interview Details – initial communication by email, followed by requests for recommendation letters and finally an invitation to visit, give a talk at the department and meetings with faculty members.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate salary, negotiated my research plans and vacation times.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Pittsburgh in May 2008.

Interview Details – I applied in May, got a call in 2 weeks for an interview, went to the first interview which was pretty lax and met with my direct supervisor. Nothing unnerving was asked it was more of a meet and greet. Two weeks later I get a call to come in for another interview in 2 more weeks. I got in and meet with the main manager(who worked a whole 3 days a week) and the director of housing. This was a much more awkward interview. I don't recall very many of the questions but I remember being really unsettled afterward. Got a call back two weeks later saying they were still trying to figure things out and to just hold out. Two weeks later I was hired and my start date would be, you guessed it, in two weeks. Longest hiring process ever!!!

Interview Question – What is your philosophy in regard to customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Pittsburgh? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Pittsburgh interview questions and advice in Pittsburgh, PA. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Pittsburgh employees and interview candidates.