University of Rochester Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 17, 2014
20 interviews

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester in August 2010.

Emailed professor during the summer to get a position in the fall, talked about what specifically interested me from her work, she invited me for an interview, showed me the lab and that's it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, asked me about previous experience, where I want to go, explained her work a bit more specifically   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Rochester in March 2011.

I applied via an online application system and came to a prospectives' weekend event in early March. Over the course of two days I had five faculty interviews and 10+ student interviews. Each interview was half an hour long, and could range from technical questions to a short Q&A about the interviewer's research. There were also many informal conversations with graduate students.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in November 2010.

After submitting my email through a horrible online system. I received a call and spoke with somebody in the department. After that I came in for three small group interviews. Following that I had another 1:1 interview. After that I had a day of 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • many interviews focused on their level of expertise not what would be required of somebody in another position. That made it difficult as it felt as though we were connecting.   Answer Question
    There was none. I had included a set scale for salary and they hired me at the high end of it.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in April 2011.

University of Rochester physics graduate school application, Based on GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation and Research experience

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2011.

I applied online, sent the application package by mail and got the on site interview in late January.

Interview Questions
    • One of the faculty member asked me about my summer vacation, really unexpected one!
      The interview is very chill and casual. It seems like the main purpose is getting to know the applicants and showing them around.
        Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2010.

submit the application, online and mail
    phone interview
    receive offer

nothing

Technical Associate II Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester.

Two interviews, initial one with multiple lab members and a tour of the facility, and overview of the research and the second one with the PI of the lab and his administrative assistant. They had multiple online postings avaialble, so it was difficult to tell which posting they were interviewing me for. In the end, they offered me a position well below my expereince level, and were not willing to negotiate the offer. In the interview they were upfront about the expectation of much more than a 40hour workweek.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer said "I understand you have young children" (which I never disclosed to them), probably to gauge my availability to work late hours. (Which, btw, is illegal for them to ask)   View Answer
    Non existant. They presented a low, take-it-or-leave it offer.

Human Resources Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Rochester in July 2011.

I applied they called me in for an interview, I went in and interviewed with my direct boss who hired me.

Interview Questions
    • none that I can think of, it was pretty straight forward   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Administrative Assistant/Practice Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2013.

I applied 2/7.I got a call 2/11. First interview with the Dept Administrator and Dept HR Rep on 2/14, took about 1.5 hours. They contacted me 2/15 and asked me for references and a second interview on 2/18 to meet with the Department Chairs and the Department Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Staff. I came in, had 3 separate interviews lasting about 2 hours total. They had me come in at the end of the day, so everyone would be in their office but the physicians still ended up running behind and did not make it for the second interview. So they asked me to come back again for a 3rd interview. I requested that they schedule it after hours because I currently work 8 to 5 but they still scheduled it on 3/4 at 3pm. I again paid for parking and took more time off for work. I met with the rest of the physicians. It lasted 2 hours again.

Interview Questions
    • How would you motivate your employees to complete a difficult task?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Rochester in September 2010.

It was pretty relaxed - I showed up, answered some standard questions (tell me about yourself, why do you want this job, what are you studying, etc.). I had almost no work experience at the time so it was really more personality based: they were just looking for a friendly person they'd enjoy working with who'd show up on time and get their stuff done.

Interview Questions

Worked for University of Rochester? Contribute to the Community!