University of Rochester

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Director Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in November 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting my email through a horrible online system. I received a call and spoke with somebody in the department. After that I came in for three small group interviews. Following that I had another 1:1 interview. After that I had a day of 1:1 interviews.

Interview Question – many interviews focused on their level of expertise not what would be required of somebody in another position. That made it difficult as it felt as though we were connecting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. I had included a set scale for salary and they hired me at the high end of it.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in April 2011.

Interview Details – University of Rochester physics graduate school application, Based on GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation and Research experience

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a graduate student?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online, sent the application package by mail and got the on site interview in late January.

Interview Question – One of the faculty member asked me about my summer vacation, really unexpected one!
The interview is very chill and casual. It seems like the main purpose is getting to know the applicants and showing them around.
  Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2010.

Interview Details – submit the application, online and mail
phone interview
receive offer

Interview Question – depends on your experiences, and the advisor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nothing

Human Resources Assistant III Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Rochester in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied they called me in for an interview, I went in and interviewed with my direct boss who hired me.

Interview Question – none that I can think of, it was pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Administrative Assistant/Practice Manager Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied 2/7.I got a call 2/11. First interview with the Dept Administrator and Dept HR Rep on 2/14, took about 1.5 hours. They contacted me 2/15 and asked me for references and a second interview on 2/18 to meet with the Department Chairs and the Department Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Staff. I came in, had 3 separate interviews lasting about 2 hours total. They had me come in at the end of the day, so everyone would be in their office but the physicians still ended up running behind and did not make it for the second interview. So they asked me to come back again for a 3rd interview. I requested that they schedule it after hours because I currently work 8 to 5 but they still scheduled it on 3/4 at 3pm. I again paid for parking and took more time off for work. I met with the rest of the physicians. It lasted 2 hours again.

Interview Question – How would you motivate your employees to complete a difficult task?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Rochester in September 2010.

Interview Details – It was pretty relaxed - I showed up, answered some standard questions (tell me about yourself, why do you want this job, what are you studying, etc.). I had almost no work experience at the time so it was really more personality based: they were just looking for a friendly person they'd enjoy working with who'd show up on time and get their stuff done.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

Information Analyst Interview

Information Analyst
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Rochester in February 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied online for Information Analyst position. I received from hiring manager for 1:1 interview. Interview went for 45 min. Few HR questions and then few statistical questions- regression analysis and Excel/SAS/Stata skills. It wasn't too hard.

Interview Question – Explain your experience with SAS/Stata.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Major Gifts Officer Interview

Rochester, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was impressed by the interview process. Two telephone interviews were followed by an offer to fly me to Rochester for a full day of interviewing. I interviewed 17 people face-to-face. Some was one on one, others were with groups of two or three. I only had a half hour with each person or group, which I felt was too rushed.

Interview Question – I really did not receive any surprising or difficult questions   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Rochester in April 2008.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called for a phone interview about 2 months later. I came in and interviewed for the Director and executive director. They asked a lot of questions regarding my past experience and then explained the programs to me. Was called back for a second interview with the director. Director offered a different position than originally applied for.

Interview Question – What was a typical day like in your last position??   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was non negotiable.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Rochester? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Rochester interview questions and advice in Rochester, NY. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Rochester employees and interview candidates.