University of San Diego

Relevance Date Difficulty

Computer Lab Supervisor Interview

Computer Lab Supervisor
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of San Diego in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got a quick response via email after I filled out my online application. Very pleased with that, as it took less than 1 week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well, and I liked the enthusiasm I received from one male and one female--both leadership--from the IT department. They reached out less than another week later to confirm an in-person interview. Again, I was very pleased. I am familiar with the excess amount of time taken by a lot of educational facilities when it comes to hiring, and USD defied those beliefs.

On the day I arrived for my interview, I received amiable, kind, clear communication from every employee with whom I interacted, and was beginning to get excited about the prospect of working for USD. I thought the interaction went extremely well among the hiring managers and myself. Most everyone (students included of course), seemed youthful and hip in the department. I felt that I was a solid technical fit, as well as a great candidate for the culture. There were a few minor things with which I was under-experienced, but I felt positive about growing into the role, and quickly adopting any missing "pluses".

After the interview, I was given a two-page copy of a written test, challenging me with some technical questions which were more overly basic. A couple of them required some memorization of where certain Windows directories are located, where to find network settings, and things of that nature. I utilized the full 20 minutes to fill out my exam. The next day, I sent a thank-you email regarding the positive experience I'd had. No response from that, but that is not uncommon.

About 10 days went by after the interview, and I hadn't heard a thing. Feeling confident that USD had been on spring break for 7 of those days helped me remain patient. Another 5-6 days went by, and I decided to send a follow-up email just to say hello, and expressing hope that they'd found the right person for the job--and if not, to let me know, as I was still interested. It has now been two full weeks since I sent that email, and I have received no communication at all. I believe it to be proper, kind, and culturally sensitive to at least reply to an email like that, letting the candidate know that they've either moved on, or else-wise.

Whereas every part of the initial interview went great, the non-responsiveness just blew me away, especially after receiving such initial kindness. I'm shocked that a hiring manager won't even take 5 minutes to reply to his or her candidates, just to say "thank you" or "thanks, but no thanks". I found this to be rather an ungraceful exit to an otherwise positive experience, and that just left me feeling a bit confused and discarded.

Interview Question – Not necessarily difficult, but a bit unexpected: They asked for the exact location of the User's Outlook directory in Windows 7. Now I know where this is, and I go there routinely, but sometimes the things one does every day are difficult to conjure up. Not a bad question, but I'd recommend on brushing up on things like this via a little memorization.   Answer Question

Admission Advisor Interview

Admission Advisor
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of San Diego in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in November of 2012 and was hired a month later. The process was very quick but my position was recently created. I had to fill out an assessment. Then I was called in for a two hour interview with my immediate director and the Dean.

Interview Question – I was asked about enrollment numbers that I achieved in my previous experience, systems that I worked with, and my retention percentages.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation available for salary

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of San Diego in August 2010.

Interview Details – First called and set up an over the phone interview with the main supervisors. Then was called into a series of group interviews. One with the supervisors, one with the web development team and supervisors, and also with a group from the specific college I would be assigned to.

Interview Question – They gave me a programming quiz, where I had to actually solve 3 different questions on a piece of paper with the lead programmer present.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you you've received the job and how much you will make. You can and should present a counter offer, they will either accept or decline, just don't expect a lot more than what was initially offered.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of San Diego in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and then didn't hear anything for a few weeks. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager over the phone and then I didn't hear anything for over a month. After a follow up e-mail I was interviewed by one of the people that would be working for me. He had some challenging questions. It seemed to end well, but I have heard nothing since then, even after follow up e-mails to the hiring manager.

Interview Question – What development methodologies have you used?   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst

The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of San Diego in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was good, straight forward, some skill tests and then later asked to solve some practical problems. After passing this interview was moved to HR interview where I was asked general questions

Interview Question – Tell me about Yourself?   Answer Question

TT Position In Humanities Interview

TT Position In Humanities

The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of San Diego in January 2010.

Interview Details – Four interviewers. One interviewer did not stay on task and asked seemingly irrelevant questions that wasted time. Seemed to be more of a "personality" or "fit" interview than anything else. Very few questions about my teaching. Some of the questions were about my writing, which they had not read. In fact, they made no comment on the writing sample I provided.

Interview Question – How do you teach X?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of San Diego interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of San Diego employees and interview candidates.