University of Science & Technology Beijing

University of Science & Technology Beijing Interview Questions

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Science & Technology Beijing

Foreign Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Science & Technology Beijing.

First heard of job via email list at Kings College London; communicated by email; the university seemed keen and they satisfied me as regards certain qualms/questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • It was I who had the difficult questions, as I remember, such as "I am a Christian. Will I be able to worship freely?" and "How easy is it to get hold of scholarly works and other western books (such as some good or great novels) in Beijing?"   View Answer
    I pushed them up a little, from 4000 to 5000 renminbi per month. This was because a) I had a PhD and b) USTB is private, so (paradoxically, perhaps) has more money to spare than the more famous universities of China - but it's still one of the good ones, and is building up its Humanities department.
    I was concerned lest they only really wanted me to teach English as a foreign language, but they said "Oh no, you can be our Literature expert", which endeared me to them.

English Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhenzhen (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhenzhen (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Science & Technology Beijing in June 2010.

Before being seen, I was made to wait two hours before seeing the interviewer. His Assistant seemed embarrassed, and instead of being taken up she took us a Long tour of almost the entire campus (excluding OF COURSE anything useful, like the Foreign Professors Apartments or Actual Classroom)

I was interviewed by the Associate Dean of Beijing University in Shenzhen, a graduate with a Ph.D from an Ivy League School. He was very talkative, but when it came to asking him what he really wanted, he didn't seem to know. He talked grandly about how great his university is and how the professors could teach anything about business to their students and was quite clear that he only wanted a foreign teacher to teach English.

When asked about his students English speaking level he spoke profoundly about their great skill, but when asked if they could understand a basic topic such as The 6 Hat Thinking Model or Rich Dad, Poor Dad's Cash Flow Economics he became Very defensive and stated quite clearly that, "We do not need a FOREIGNER to teach our students ANYTHING about business. WE DO THAT. They have US for that."

I was taken back by his dichotomy of thinking; it was obvious to me that there was some hidden feelings aimed at foreigners, so I did not pursue the matter directly.

Instead attempting to draw out what he wanted and expected from his foreign professors. Instead of telling me, he again began speaking profoundly about the great culture of his university. Again I pursued the matter of what would be expected by asking him directly what he wanted the professor to include in each lesson plan. Once again, instead of answering the question he began talking about the students and how their English level could improve, and that "We need a foreign teacher only to teach English and nothing else, Conversational English. Are you comfortable teaching conversational English?"

Considering the question carefully, I said, "Yes I am comfortable teaching conversational English and I think my Master's degree qualifies me to teach you excellent students." Instead of agreeing, he changed the entire tone of the interview again by saying, "Are you sure you won't get bored? You have a lot of experience and it is only teaching Conversational English." I was a bit confused because I have experience teaching many subjects, including Business and English, so I said, "I enjoy teaching and being a professor and I like Chinese culture, and I learn more everyday."

AGAIN, he changed the tone of the interview by saying, "Well, MOST of our teachers have degrees from...FAMOUS Universities."

It was at that point that I realized the entire interview and preparations were a waste of time, or worse, simply a chance for this man to show off his University, his Office, and make him feel powerful by making an MBA wait over two hours, then talk grandly about his students.

When asked directly about the position, the salary, or the curriculum, it becomes quite clear that not only is there no plan, but none is required.

They are looking for a graduate of a Recognized Ivy League school and don't care about the teaching quality at all. The problem with that is when I asked my friend about his salary, he made it QUITE clear that it is low , around $2500 a month and that he had offers triple that. He is leaving and he advised me not to work there because they are all about Face and nothing else.

Interview Questions
    • Could you tell me a little bit about the University you graduated from?   View Answer

Education Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Science & Technology Beijing in February 2010.

Just let me to make some comments towards different hot issues these days and discussed together. Then asked some of my experience and past achievements. The atmosphere was good and interviewee was kind.

Engineering Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Science & Technology Beijing in January 2008.

The HR gave a call and asked a few questions on background