University of Southern California

Average Difficulty
92 candidate interviews

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – After the first stage basic application screening, there will be an invite to the final interview for a weekend visiting USC. USC will conduct two interviews with two faculties under the PIBBS program.

Interview Question – What are your primary research interests, and how is that different from what you have accomplished?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Statistician

Interviewed at University of Southern California

Interview Details – Applied online, and get a call 1 week later. Then had 3 onsite visits, and was offered the job.

Interview Question – How do you see the salary is lower than industry?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at University of Southern California

Interview Details – I applied to study in the graduate school. The application begins in October every year, and I was informed for a phone interview. In the interview, most of the questions are related to basic science and my undergraduate experience. I got the offer to an interdisciplinary program in medicine school.

Interview Question – a very specific question on my research   Answer Question

Research Laboratory Technician Interview

Research Laboratory Technician

Interviewed at University of Southern California

Interview Details – I didn't have to go through a traditional hiring and interview process since I was a student worker and was being converted to full-time after graduating.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Presentation to the lab. More chatting on the phone about projects and work environment. Extremely trivial process as the lab is very new and not experienced.w

Interview Question – None. No questions at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary negotiation, but that obviously didn't get very far as it's a joke. Was desperate for a job, so I took it! It's the recession man!!

Engineering Technician Interview

Engineering Technician

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – I initially heard about the opening from a part time employer. I ignored the opening until I had grown weary of having 2 part time jobs.
The process is based on an online form that is archaic. The job may already be promised but for legal reasons they have to post it. So you may be wasting time. Never give a salary requirement unless it is necessary. Otherwise you might not even get a second look. If you do have normal salary requirements, most of the jobs won't pay it.
The interview was nothing special. I think they were already hoping I would fit.

Interview Question – I didn't have a question that was unexpected. I got answers that I didn't expect. i.e. you have to pay for your own parking and the work week is 37.5 hours.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation was available. Like it, lump it, or leave it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at University of Southern California

Interview Details – As I was enrolled as an international graduate student, the communication was mainly through emails and phone calls. There were two phone interviews (it may differ across departments) and the questions were focused on my prior research experience with a few technical details. Generally the university treat their student employees nicely, but the working environment and culture vary widely by department.

Interview Question – An technical detail in one of my research projects.   Answer Question

Libraries Security Officer Interview

Libraries Security Officer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – there is only one interview and questions are quite basic. Asking about advantages of personalities which would contribute to do better job

Interview Question – asking about your short comings   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – university of southern california graduate school is really friendly in terms of interview. as long as you demonstrate your true passion for your future research and capacity of accomplishing your graduate study (here I mean ph.d), you are likely to be enrolled. and stipend was good too, for graduate student. work and study. what can i say? it is a good choice if you are looking for higher education experience with certain pay.

Interview Question – tell me in detail about your current research project   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at University of Southern California

Interview Details – Talk about experience on algorithm research, any rewards, research direction. Some detailed breakthrough while dealing with a hard problem. Plans on further research.

Interview Question – Detailed breakthrough on dealing with a hard problem. Sometimes, I have explain as detailed as I can. But the project I made was large.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wanna gain experience on career development but not research.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Southern California

Worked for University of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Southern California interview questions and advice. All 92 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Southern California employees and interview candidates.