University of Southern California Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.5

Statistician Interview

Interview

Applied online, and get a call 1 week later. Then had 3 onsite visits, and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you see the salary is lower than industry?   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

As I was enrolled as an international graduate student, the communication was mainly through emails and phone calls. There were two phone interviews (it may differ across departments) and the questions were focused on my prior research experience with a few technical details. Generally the university treat their student employees nicely, but the working environment and culture vary widely by department.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

university of southern california graduate school is really friendly in terms of interview. as long as you demonstrate your true passion for your future research and capacity of accomplishing your graduate study (here I mean ph.d), you are likely to be enrolled. and stipend was good too, for graduate student. work and study. what can i say? it is a good choice if you are looking for higher education experience with certain pay.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

After the first stage basic application screening, there will be an invite to the final interview for a weekend visiting USC. USC will conduct two interviews with two faculties under the PIBBS program.

Interview Questions

• What are your primary research interests, and how is that different from what you have accomplished?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

I initially heard about the opening from a part time employer. I ignored the opening until I had grown weary of having 2 part time jobs. The process is based on an online form that is archaic. The job may already be promised but for legal reasons they have to post it. So you may be wasting time. Never give a salary requirement unless it is necessary. Otherwise you might not even get a second look. If you do have normal salary requirements, most of the jobs won't pay it. The interview was nothing special. I think they were already hoping I would fit.

Interview Questions

• I didn't have a question that was unexpected. I got answers that I didn't expect. i.e. you have to pay for your own parking and the work week is 37.5 hours.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation was available. Like it, lump it, or leave it.

Research Laboratory Technician Interview

Interview

I didn't have to go through a traditional hiring and interview process since I was a student worker and was being converted to full-time after graduating.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

USC send an email notifying that they accept us as a graduate student. A few weeks later, they will send us a letter of acceptance by mail, which we should complete and send it back. Next thing is, they will send us an I-20 (for non-US citizen) and USC booklet. Last but not least, there will be a professor who will contact us

Interview Questions

• Basically, the question is about our research experience, which should be easy to answer for a graduate student   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Talk about experience on algorithm research, any rewards, research direction. Some detailed breakthrough while dealing with a hard problem. Plans on further research.

Interview Questions

• Detailed breakthrough on dealing with a hard problem. Sometimes, I have explain as detailed as I can. But the project I made was large.   Answer Question

Wanna gain experience on career development but not research.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied to study in the graduate school. The application begins in October every year, and I was informed for a phone interview. In the interview, most of the questions are related to basic science and my undergraduate experience. I got the offer to an interdisciplinary program in medicine school.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Phone interview. Presentation to the lab. More chatting on the phone about projects and work environment. Extremely trivial process as the lab is very new and not experienced.w

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary negotiation, but that obviously didn't get very far as it's a joke. Was desperate for a job, so I took it! It's the recession man!!