University of Southern California

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.6

Graduate Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

After the first stage basic application screening, there will be an invite to the final interview for a weekend visiting USC. USC will conduct two interviews with two faculties under the PIBBS program.

Interview Questions
    • What are your primary research interests, and how is that different from what you have accomplished?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Applied online, and get a call 1 week later. Then had 3 onsite visits, and was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see the salary is lower than industry?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I applied to study in the graduate school. The application begins in October every year, and I was informed for a phone interview. In the interview, most of the questions are related to basic science and my undergraduate experience. I got the offer to an interdisciplinary program in medicine school.

Research Laboratory Technician Interview

I didn't have to go through a traditional hiring and interview process since I was a student worker and was being converted to full-time after graduating.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Phone interview. Presentation to the lab. More chatting on the phone about projects and work environment. Extremely trivial process as the lab is very new and not experienced.w

Interview Questions
    Salary negotiation, but that obviously didn't get very far as it's a joke. Was desperate for a job, so I took it! It's the recession man!!

Engineering Technician Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California.

I initially heard about the opening from a part time employer. I ignored the opening until I had grown weary of having 2 part time jobs.
    The process is based on an online form that is archaic. The job may already be promised but for legal reasons they have to post it. So you may be wasting time. Never give a salary requirement unless it is necessary. Otherwise you might not even get a second look. If you do have normal salary requirements, most of the jobs won't pay it.
    The interview was nothing special. I think they were already hoping I would fit.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have a question that was unexpected. I got answers that I didn't expect. i.e. you have to pay for your own parking and the work week is 37.5 hours.   Answer Question
    no negotiation was available. Like it, lump it, or leave it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

As I was enrolled as an international graduate student, the communication was mainly through emails and phone calls. There were two phone interviews (it may differ across departments) and the questions were focused on my prior research experience with a few technical details. Generally the university treat their student employees nicely, but the working environment and culture vary widely by department.

Libraries Security Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Southern California.

there is only one interview and questions are quite basic. Asking about advantages of personalities which would contribute to do better job

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

university of southern california graduate school is really friendly in terms of interview. as long as you demonstrate your true passion for your future research and capacity of accomplishing your graduate study (here I mean ph.d), you are likely to be enrolled. and stipend was good too, for graduate student. work and study. what can i say? it is a good choice if you are looking for higher education experience with certain pay.

PhD Student Interview

Talk about experience on algorithm research, any rewards, research direction. Some detailed breakthrough while dealing with a hard problem. Plans on further research.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed breakthrough on dealing with a hard problem. Sometimes, I have explain as detailed as I can. But the project I made was large.   Answer Question

Wanna gain experience on career development but not research.