University of Southern California

92 candidate interviews

Research Coordinator Interview

Research Coordinator
New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – Received an email three weeks after submitting an application. Phone interview was requested and I was told to prepare for it lasting thirty minutes. When the day arrived for the phone interview, I was asked several basic questions and if I had any questions regarding the role. I asked several, and the interview ended. It lasted a total of eight minutes. I received a follow up email promptly the following week alerting me that they would be pursuing other candidates.

Interview Questions

Program Specialist Interview

Program Specialist
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Southern California in October 2013.

Interview Details – Sent in initial application and cover letter via the large USC HR system online. Received invitation to first interview about 2.5 months after applying. Went to first interview, which was conducted by a department panel. Was asked to do a second interview a week or so later with just the department head.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question in the interview related to a previous project I had done working with students. Even if the position you are applying to doesn't include direct contact with students, they will ask you about it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation option because of how the position is funded.

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California in May 2014.

Interview Details – This is for PHONE interview only:
Sent in online application for a Student Admin Assistant role and maybe a week later received a phone call for an interview. They wanted to fill the position quickly, and while it was kind of in the lower range of where I wanted to work I really wanted to get my foot in the door of a University campus.
The lady who interviewed me was working from home that day and her baby was crying the whole time, I just thought that was funny.
In the end it kind of seemed like it wouldn't work out because she mentioned she was looking for someone with University exp (I had none) and I even though I did have 3+yrs of growing admin skills, there were better candidates for the position.

Interview Question – Very routine/expected questions, a couple situations thrown in, they were definitely looking for someone with experience working in higher education though. I had no background in that so try to emphasize heavily on your admin experience that is similar/could apply to the position if anything.   Answer Question

Contracts Interview

Contracts
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Southern California in June 2011.

Interview Details – Questions are not anything out of the ordinary although there seems to be a preference for internal candidates. There is a phone interview followed by panel interview of the top three or so candidates.

Interview Question – Standard questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation just an offer.

Laboratory Arts Technician Interview

Laboratory Arts Technician
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – I heard of the job from my boss at another company. He was teaching at USC at the time. Since I knew people, the process was smooth. One interview with the interested parties and the following week got an offer. This was over ten years ago and the process has changed. If you are applying from the outside and not knowing anyone, you will have a different experience. You may not hear back for a long while, or not at all. I have applied twice to jobs in other divisions and I did not hear back from one. And the other I got a courtesy interview after the job was given to someone else. USC will post jobs that they have already picked out an individual that they want. This is normal for all universities and most corporations. The new process is all online. You log in and create an account. The procedure includes uploading resume and cover sheet.
The environment varies depending on the school. Few schools have a fun exciting work place. The experience differs if you are staff or faculty too. Most staff that have been there awhile are burned out. They are for the most part nice people. The college environment is fun.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. A dollar amount was offered, take it or leave it.

Adjunct Interview

Adjunct

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – Somewhat informal, but the process still included interviews, submitting a CV, and submitting recommendation letters. By "informal," I mean it was more of a conversation than a QnA test with someone in administration. - Glassdoor demands 50 words minimum for this field, but brevity is the soul of wit and the balm for any busy person - which is every employer.

Interview Question – None. Advice: Don't keep talking if you don't have anything else to say, even if they just sit and stare at you... or volley with a question of your own. I.e., don't be afraid of silence. Be humble, but confident.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Competition to teach at USC is high. Unless you have major film credits, you have little or no weight for a negotiation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – Initial contact was by phone with immediate hiring manager discussing skill set. Was invited for an on site visit and spoke to other members of the lab before giving a lab presentation.

Interview Question – Was asked technical questions regarding data on the lab presentation.   Answer Question

Clinical Project Manager Interview

Clinical Project Manager

I applied online and interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – Long interview with hiring professor. Standard interview type question, no behavioral questions. Described the position I applied for in elation to job duties, asked about previous experience. Was primarily one on one, another current employee joined briefly and asked a few questions also.

Accounting Technician Interview

Accounting Technician
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview Details – 1-on-1 initial interview with recruiter, after which 3 final candidates are called back for a 3-person panel interview (w/ hiring mgr, prospective supervisor and colleague) was next. 2 finalists are called back for a 3rd 3-person panel interview (w/ director and 2 unrelated dept mgrs).

Interview Questions

• If your colleagues were asked, what would they say your biggest weaknesses are?   Answer Question
  • Provide an example of a challenging situation, and describe how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not accept the initial offered pay rate, and countered with a rate that I would consider accepting, which was agreed to.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California in February 2012.

Interview Details – first go through the phone interview and then for on-site. For phone interview you are mostly asked about basic algorithmic problems and on-site interview is mostly about coding.

Interview Question – not so familiar with some specific technical questions liking synchronization.   Answer Question

Worked for University of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!