University of Southern California Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.7

Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Typically, you will receive an email if they want to meet you. The next step is for you to have an interview. They're open to skype. You will have to come well prepared and know facts and history about the university. Make sure your experience is relevant to the job you're seeking. Sell yourself. Tell them why you want to work for USC.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer
    There was no need for me to negotiate.

Program Director, Center for Urban Education (CUE) Interview

I was referred by an outside consultant, who was assisting the organization with their search. Those present in the interview included: Drs. Besimon, Dowd, and Wong (the Center's founder and co-director, the co-director, and the executive director respectfully). It was almost immediately obvious that my CV/resume and cover letter were not carefully reviewed in advance of my interview. As a result, the interview lacked focus and direction. There was a lot of skipping around, and the interview felt more like they were simply interested in obtaining free consulting advice than filling a position for which they had a clear vision. Many of the questions were a colossal waste of time since the questions posed were simply basic information that were obviously reflected in the first page of the CV/resume. Within 10 minutes, it appeared that they were not entirely sure they intended to fill the position. I had a sense that not everyone was on the same page about why the position was created, what the vision for the position was, how the position 'fit' in the overarching organizational structure, could the responsibilities be met by an existing staff member. In the end, I do not believe that the position was every filled...confirming my initial suspicions. All in all, the experience was not unpleasant, but it WAS a waste of my time since it was obvious they were not truly committed to filling the position. On the positive side...everyone I met was polite and very professional.

Software Developer Interview

very easy basic questions. just go over basic programming skills and questions and you should be good. as it's a lower compensation, they can't be too choosy. Just be confident

didn't negotiate

Research Lab Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

The interview process went very smoothly. I interviewed with several different staff members and their questions were reasonable re: my experience and expectations for this position. They were very transparent about the job's scope of work and responsibilities over the next calendar year. The interviews were highly professional and challenging but the interview environment was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How does this job fit into your career plan over the next decade?   Answer Question

Phlebotomist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Southern California.

To obtain a position as a research phlebotomist with the USC-UCLA Center for
    Population Health and Health Disparities to use my medical science background as a
    Licensed Phlebotomy Technician I and Certified Medical Assistant. With over 8 years
    of experience supporting and executing the standards of phlebotomy practice and
    medical assistance, I am also reliable, punctual and able to work well with others, be
    flexible and provide a positive contribution to the USC studies.

PC Analyst/Data Communication Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City Terrace, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City Terrace, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at University of Southern California in January 2010.

There were one telephone interview and two face to face interviews. It was pleasant. There only one slightly difficult question. There was a manager two supervisor and senior technician. It lasted about 30 minutes. I header from them about a month later.

Pleasant and and calm.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Graduate Application, this is a standard process. There is not an interview. You complete the application, and if you're resume and undergraduate work is good enough, you may get accepted ingot he graduate program

NA

Data Communications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Southern California in October 2013.

It took approximately two personal interviews and telephone interview to finalize the interview process. In different interviews I met with different managers, senior employees and HR personnel. The questions varied from technical to personal ones. Some of the technical questions were not easy so I had to give elaborate answers. I was expecting questions of more personal nature than technical nature since you could always train personnel on technical issues but if they don't have social skills it will be slightly more challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most awkward moment with a customer.   View Answer

Dental Patient Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at University of Southern California in June 2014.

1st was the 20 minute phone interview, 2nd in person interview. It was supposed to be a panel of 3 interviewers and only 1 showed up. He said they had something else to so they couldn't make it. I have a feeling they saw me in the waiting room and didn't want to waste there time with me. I have all the qualifications on paper and obviously over the phone but i feel they were looking for an image that I don't have because of my weight.

Interview Questions
    • List me all of the job descriptions posted on the usc website.   View Answer

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at University of Southern California in October 2013.

It took about four months to get hire. I apply for the position through their website. Two months later I got an email from HR and had a one-to-one phone interview. Three weeks later I got another phone interview with 2 people from my department and another from the finance department. One month later I was called for the face-to-face interview, at this point they were deciding between 10 people and myself. Three weeks later I got an email from USC requesting 3 reference, at this point I think it had been boiled down to another applicant and myself. The interview process was technical, questions with regards to the use of computers, what would you do in this situation, why did you applied for USC, tell me about your self, how long do you plan to be here were common questions.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any unexpected questions. I did my research regarding the regular type of questions you get asked in the interview. I was honest with my responses and I used example of work experience for each question. I think using work experience example made the difference because it showed I was a reliable applicant and could assumed the responsibilities of the position.   Answer Question
    I didn't have to negotiated anything. I was expecting a really low offer, but was offer a paid 30% higher than what I was expecting.

Worked for University of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!