University of Southern California Interview Questions & Reviews

98 interviews

2.7

Laboratory Arts Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

I heard of the job from my boss at another company. He was teaching at USC at the time. Since I knew people, the process was smooth. One interview with the interested parties and the following week got an offer. This was over ten years ago and the process has changed. If you are applying from the outside and not knowing anyone, you will have a different experience. You may not hear back for a long while, or not at all. I have applied twice to jobs in other divisions and I did not hear back from one. And the other I got a courtesy interview after the job was given to someone else. USC will post jobs that they have already picked out an individual that they want. This is normal for all universities and most corporations. The new process is all online. You log in and create an account. The procedure includes uploading resume and cover sheet.
    The environment varies depending on the school. Few schools have a fun exciting work place. The experience differs if you are staff or faculty too. Most staff that have been there awhile are burned out. They are for the most part nice people. The college environment is fun.

No negotiation. A dollar amount was offered, take it or leave it.

Adjunct Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Somewhat informal, but the process still included interviews, submitting a CV, and submitting recommendation letters. By "informal," I mean it was more of a conversation than a QnA test with someone in administration. - Glassdoor demands 50 words minimum for this field, but brevity is the soul of wit and the balm for any busy person - which is every employer.

Interview Questions
    • None. Advice: Don't keep talking if you don't have anything else to say, even if they just sit and stare at you... or volley with a question of your own. I.e., don't be afraid of silence. Be humble, but confident.   Answer Question
    None. Competition to teach at USC is high. Unless you have major film credits, you have little or no weight for a negotiation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Initial contact was by phone with immediate hiring manager discussing skill set. Was invited for an on site visit and spoke to other members of the lab before giving a lab presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked technical questions regarding data on the lab presentation.   Answer Question

Clinical Project Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Long interview with hiring professor. Standard interview type question, no behavioral questions. Described the position I applied for in elation to job duties, asked about previous experience. Was primarily one on one, another current employee joined briefly and asked a few questions also.

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Southern California.

1-on-1 initial interview with recruiter, after which 3 final candidates are called back for a 3-person panel interview (w/ hiring mgr, prospective supervisor and colleague) was next. 2 finalists are called back for a 3rd 3-person panel interview (w/ director and 2 unrelated dept mgrs).

Interview Questions
    • If your colleagues were asked, what would they say your biggest weaknesses are?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a challenging situation, and describe how you overcame it?   Answer Question
    I did not accept the initial offered pay rate, and countered with a rate that I would consider accepting, which was agreed to.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California in February 2012.

first go through the phone interview and then for on-site. For phone interview you are mostly asked about basic algorithmic problems and on-site interview is mostly about coding.

Interview Questions
    • not so familiar with some specific technical questions liking synchronization.   Answer Question

SCA Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at University of Southern California.

Call for applicants was sent out the students of SCA.
    I sent in a resume by email and coordinated an interview time.
    I was interviewed by the two faculty whom I would work for. The interview was to the point and well executed.
    We ended up getting along well and chatting afterward.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was clearly related to technical requirements and personal capability.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for student worker positions.

Business/Budget Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Southern California.

submitted an application online and was called for interview a week later

Interview Questions
    • none. the interview was plain and simple. this job isn't brain surgery, nor does the interviewer make it seem that way.   Answer Question

Technical Artist At the Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Southern California.

I was recommended by my school professor who knew one of the project leads at ICT. They were looking for an art intern who could enter metadata for a new filing system that was being developed but had to know specifics of the art process pipeline. I interviewed with the lead artist then interviewed with 4 other staff members who had no knowledge of art development or its processes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions in regards to programming because some of the staff I was interviewing with were software programmers and not artists.   View Answer
    I was just out of school so I took the first offer that was given to me,.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at University of Southern California in August 2013.

phone interview and person to person interview and decision