University of Southern California Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.6

Accounting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

1-on-1 initial interview with recruiter, after which 3 final candidates are called back for a 3-person panel interview (w/ hiring mgr, prospective supervisor and colleague) was next. 2 finalists are called back for a 3rd 3-person panel interview (w/ director and 2 unrelated dept mgrs).

Interview Questions
    • If your colleagues were asked, what would they say your biggest weaknesses are?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a challenging situation, and describe how you overcame it?   Answer Question
    I did not accept the initial offered pay rate, and countered with a rate that I would consider accepting, which was agreed to.

Student Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California in May 2014.

This is for PHONE interview only:
    Sent in online application for a Student Admin Assistant role and maybe a week later received a phone call for an interview. They wanted to fill the position quickly, and while it was kind of in the lower range of where I wanted to work I really wanted to get my foot in the door of a University campus.
    The lady who interviewed me was working from home that day and her baby was crying the whole time, I just thought that was funny.
    In the end it kind of seemed like it wouldn't work out because she mentioned she was looking for someone with University exp (I had none) and I even though I did have 3+yrs of growing admin skills, there were better candidates for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Very routine/expected questions, a couple situations thrown in, they were definitely looking for someone with experience working in higher education though. I had no background in that so try to emphasize heavily on your admin experience that is similar/could apply to the position if anything.   Answer Question

SCA Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Southern California.

Call for applicants was sent out the students of SCA.
    I sent in a resume by email and coordinated an interview time.
    I was interviewed by the two faculty whom I would work for. The interview was to the point and well executed.
    We ended up getting along well and chatting afterward.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was clearly related to technical requirements and personal capability.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for student worker positions.

Business/Budget Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Southern California.

submitted an application online and was called for interview a week later

Interview Questions
    • none. the interview was plain and simple. this job isn't brain surgery, nor does the interviewer make it seem that way.   Answer Question

Technical Artist At the Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California.

I was recommended by my school professor who knew one of the project leads at ICT. They were looking for an art intern who could enter metadata for a new filing system that was being developed but had to know specifics of the art process pipeline. I interviewed with the lead artist then interviewed with 4 other staff members who had no knowledge of art development or its processes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions in regards to programming because some of the staff I was interviewing with were software programmers and not artists.   View Answer
    I was just out of school so I took the first offer that was given to me,.

Cafe Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Southern California.

i just dropped some resumes at the campus center and told them i need a part-time job, they said they were full at that time, but they would tell me if they have available positions. two weeks later, i got a call that said i was hired.

Student Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California in January 2014.

Apply online in the USC Library Student Assistant job page, you are called for an interview which is very very basic (what are your strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, and all that). They see if you are a good fit to the team and they hire you if you are available to work the hours they need.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if I was scared of the dark! That wasn't difficult but was unexpected.   View Answer
    No negotiation. $8/hour wages

Good Interview

I applied this May before I got my bachelor's degree. That's pretty much all I can say.

Interview Questions
    • No more difficulties you know. Just not interested in what I am doing now. I don't know what kind of job I can find after this.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Basically it is the same as applying for PhD position in any other universities. You take GRE, submit application with personal statement, which details your research goal. It is better to know the faculty in advance or at least know their work by reading papers or contacting them directly. They will call you if interested.

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California in October 2013.

It took about four months to get hire. I apply for the position through their website. Two months later I got an email from HR and had a one-to-one phone interview. Three weeks later I got another phone interview with 2 people from my department and another from the finance department. One month later I was called for the face-to-face interview, at this point they were deciding between 10 people and myself. Three weeks later I got an email from USC requesting 3 reference, at this point I think it had been boiled down to another applicant and myself. The interview process was technical, questions with regards to the use of computers, what would you do in this situation, why did you applied for USC, tell me about your self, how long do you plan to be here were common questions.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any unexpected questions. I did my research regarding the regular type of questions you get asked in the interview. I was honest with my responses and I used example of work experience for each question. I think using work experience example made the difference because it showed I was a reliable applicant and could assumed the responsibilities of the position.   Answer Question
    I didn't have to negotiated anything. I was expecting a really low offer, but was offer a paid 30% higher than what I was expecting.