University of Southern California Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

2.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Received an email about scheduling an interview. Interview went well asked normal questions about last positions and schooling. Asked for references. was told to email references after interview. waiting for job offer as we speak.

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

Typically, you will receive an email if they want to meet you. The next step is for you to have an interview. They're open to skype. You will have to come well prepared and know facts and history about the university. Make sure your experience is relevant to the job you're seeking. Sell yourself. Tell them why you want to work for USC.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no need for me to negotiate.

Interview

I was referred by an outside consultant, who was assisting the organization with their search. Those present in the interview included: Drs. Besimon, Dowd, and Wong (the Center's founder and co-director, the co-director, and the executive director respectfully). It was almost immediately obvious that my CV/resume and cover letter were not carefully reviewed in advance of my interview. As a result, the interview lacked focus and direction. There was a lot of skipping around, and the interview felt more like they were simply interested in obtaining free consulting advice than filling a position for which they had a clear vision. Many of the questions were a colossal waste of time since the questions posed were simply basic information that were obviously reflected in the first page of the CV/resume. Within 10 minutes, it appeared that they were not entirely sure they intended to fill the position. I had a sense that not everyone was on the same page about why the position was created, what the vision for the position was, how the position 'fit' in the overarching organizational structure, could the responsibilities be met by an existing staff member. In the end, I do not believe that the position was every filled...confirming my initial suspicions. All in all, the experience was not unpleasant, but it WAS a waste of my time since it was obvious they were not truly committed to filling the position. On the positive side...everyone I met was polite and very professional.

Research Lab Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

The interview process went very smoothly. I interviewed with several different staff members and their questions were reasonable re: my experience and expectations for this position. They were very transparent about the job's scope of work and responsibilities over the next calendar year. The interviews were highly professional and challenging but the interview environment was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How does this job fit into your career plan over the next decade?   Answer Question

Phlebotomist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

To obtain a position as a research phlebotomist with the USC-UCLA Center for Population Health and Health Disparities to use my medical science background as a Licensed Phlebotomy Technician I and Certified Medical Assistant. With over 8 years of experience supporting and executing the standards of phlebotomy practice and medical assistance, I am also reliable, punctual and able to work well with others, be flexible and provide a positive contribution to the USC studies.

Interview Questions

• My weakness and straightness,   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Southern California.

Interview

Graduate Application, this is a standard process. There is not an interview. You complete the application, and if you're resume and undergraduate work is good enough, you may get accepted ingot he graduate program

Negotiation

NA

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I met with the principal investigator for about an hour. She was very interested in my plans for graduate school, and didn't seem to want to pick a student who was looking for a resume boost.

Student Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume to recruiter at the campus job fair. Received a call from the HR office to schedule a phone interview with head of HR. Interview lasted 10-15 minutes and consisted of behavioral interview with focus on fit, and willingness to balance workload with class schedules.

Interview Questions

• Have you had any administrative experience in an office environment?   Answer Question

Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California (New York, NY).

Interview

Received an email three weeks after submitting an application. Phone interview was requested and I was told to prepare for it lasting thirty minutes. When the day arrived for the phone interview, I was asked several basic questions and if I had any questions regarding the role. I asked several, and the interview ended. It lasted a total of eight minutes. I received a follow up email promptly the following week alerting me that they would be pursuing other candidates.

Laboratory Arts Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I heard of the job from my boss at another company. He was teaching at USC at the time. Since I knew people, the process was smooth. One interview with the interested parties and the following week got an offer. This was over ten years ago and the process has changed. If you are applying from the outside and not knowing anyone, you will have a different experience. You may not hear back for a long while, or not at all. I have applied twice to jobs in other divisions and I did not hear back from one. And the other I got a courtesy interview after the job was given to someone else. USC will post jobs that they have already picked out an individual that they want. This is normal for all universities and most corporations. The new process is all online. You log in and create an account. The procedure includes uploading resume and cover sheet. The environment varies depending on the school. Few schools have a fun exciting work place. The experience differs if you are staff or faculty too. Most staff that have been there awhile are burned out. They are for the most part nice people. The college environment is fun.

Negotiation

No negotiation. A dollar amount was offered, take it or leave it.