University of Sydney Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

2.6

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview

During the interview I was asked about resume and previous research records. They also seemed very interested in what I did and why I thought I could be successful in the future research. It was pretty standard, not too difficult. The interviewers are friendly and there's some fascinating research going on here.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

The review questions are more or less quite predictable. The difficulty level was low. I expected more intelligent questions and also more technical content. The review questions are more or less quite predictable. The difficulty level was low. I expected more intelligent questions and also more technical content. The review questions are more or less quite predictable. The difficulty level was low. I expected more intelligent questions and also more technical content.

Project Coordinator Interview

Interview

The whole process had two steps. In the first step, the University HR interviewed me. They were very friendly. After one week, they called me and arranged an interview with the manager. The manager asked questions about my professional background and experience. He was also friendly. The two interviews were relatively brief, around 30-45 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• It had no difficult questions. They were all about my experience and what I have accomplished professionally.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Interview

Interview

i got hired through an internal process by my current supervisor who are quite familiar with my qualification before hiring decisions were made. Therefore I didn't go through a formal interview process. After I came to Australia I found that it was very common for companies or universities to hire people through internal processess without advertising publicly. This is a big difference as compared to the US.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Sydney (Newtown (Australia)) in May 2014.

Interview

Only 1 interview for contracting position. It was a panel interview in a very big rectangular room. The interview itself was easy and the questions asked were appropriate for the position. The interview started late which was a poor experience. The onboarding experience was extremely poor with my hiring manager not even being in office when I arrived. After half day I heard him and went and said hello and reminded him that I was here and that he had hired me. Didn't see him again for 2 weeks with sorry excuse that he was too busy.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about ypur project management experience   Answer Question
    • what do you know about the challenges in the education sector   Answer Question
    • What is the most important thing about managing successful projects   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate much but that is because the pay is generally pretty good because they are so disorganized that you actually don't do much work.

Research Officer Interview

Interview

Steps in the process are as follows: Apply to online job ad, addressing key selection criteria. Called in for interview by a 3 person panel, including the direct supervisor and their peers. Only one interview, no written assessments. Mostly behavioural-type questions. Following Referee checks with 2 referees an offer was promptly made.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your approach to organising and synthesising large amounts of information.   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

online application - shortlisting - telephone interview - seminar + in person interview - offered position

Interview Questions

• Open problems in the area (corresponding to the position) and how I would address them   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2013.

Interview

Two part interview. One non-technical interview with Sydney Talent. Then a technical interview with the developers themselves. Asked about previous experience and knowledge on software development such as programming language, web framework and source control knowledge.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. It was all rather stock standard interview questions.   Answer Question

I was offered a job elsewhere that suited my skills more.

Library Casual Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview

The placed a job advertisement on the university casual website. I was called about a week later to come in for a face-to-face interview with two of the library staff (one of whom would later be my supervisor). I was asked some general questions (previous experience, working in teams), then was given a sorting problem to complete with actual library books.

Interview Questions

• There was a trolley of unsorted library books in the room. They asked me to sort the books in Dewey decimal order and timed me in the process.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)) in February 2010.

Interview

It was an phone interview with 4 people. It was normal where they ask me things related with my scientific background. Also they propose some problem and ask me about a resolution. Finally there was questions related with the availability, the knowledge of australia and so on. The communication was a little stressing because there was some problems with the line.