University of Sydney

Research Officer Interview

Research Officer

Interviewed at University of Sydney

Interview Details – Steps in the process are as follows:
Apply to online job ad, addressing key selection criteria.
Called in for interview by a 3 person panel, including the direct supervisor and their peers. Only one interview, no written assessments. Mostly behavioural-type questions.
 Following Referee checks with 2 referees an offer was promptly made.

Interview Question – Tell us your approach to organising and synthesising large amounts of information.   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Research Fellow
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview Details – online application - shortlisting - telephone interview - seminar + in person interview - offered position

Interview Question – Open problems in the area (corresponding to the position) and how I would address them   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Sydney in August 2013.

Interview Details – Two part interview. One non-technical interview with Sydney Talent. Then a technical interview with the developers themselves.

Asked about previous experience and knowledge on software development such as programming language, web framework and source control knowledge.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. It was all rather stock standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job elsewhere that suited my skills more.

Library Casual Interview

Library Casual

I applied online and interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview Details – The placed a job advertisement on the university casual website. I was called about a week later to come in for a face-to-face interview with two of the library staff (one of whom would later be my supervisor). I was asked some general questions (previous experience, working in teams), then was given a sorting problem to complete with actual library books.

Interview Question – There was a trolley of unsorted library books in the room. They asked me to sort the books in Dewey decimal order and timed me in the process.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Sydney in February 2010.

Interview Details – It was an phone interview with 4 people. It was normal where they ask me things related with my scientific background. Also they propose some problem and ask me about a resolution. Finally there was questions related with the availability, the knowledge of australia and so on. The communication was a little stressing because there was some problems with the line.

Interview Question – About future projects in the subject.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Sydney in September 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by a 1:1 interview with your future boss. A public presentation is sometimes required.

Interview Question – Why we need to hire you?   Answer Question

Worked for University of Sydney? Contribute to the Community!