University of Tennessee

Very Easy Interview

Gameroom Supervisor Interview

Gameroom Supervisor
Martin, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Tennessee.

Interview Details – No real interview process. Get the job by buddying up with a current worker.

Interview Question – Simply asked when I could start.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

IT Administrator Interview

IT Administrator
Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of Tennessee in January 2010.

Interview Details – I sent in a resume. They called me in. Showed me around and put me to work. It was strange, but I didn't complain at the time. Boy, was I in for it. I went from a specific set of work expectations as a sys admin to climbing through wire chases and getting bitten by animals at the Vet School

Interview Question – Can you breathe?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Sustainability Manager Interview

Sustainability Manager
Knoxville, TN

I interviewed at University of Tennessee in July 2009.

Interview Details – Site visit and sit-down interview with approximately 6 faculty/staff

Interview Question – Why should we select you for this position/   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Counselor/Professional Staff Interview

Counselor/Professional Staff
Knoxville, TN

I applied online - interviewed at University of Tennessee in April 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by phone to request a phone interview, and again by phone for in-person interview. Was provided an itinerary for the day and was expected to give a 30min presentation. Met with hiring committee, office staff, select university staff, and ate lunch with director. Full reimbursement for travel.

Interview Question – Was given student scenarios and asked how I would approach the situation. Somewhat like a "case-study" given in graduate school.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I took the first offer which was comparable according to the salary research I had done for the position prior. Was also told that that was the highest the FTE line could could allow at that time.

Resident Assistant Interview

Resident Assistant
Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Tennessee in March 2010.

Interview Details – All contact with the University of Tennessee was very professional and kind. From the very start of the hiring process there were many steps that were clearly explained that needed to be followed throughout the hiring process. The initial interview was panel style. There was one hall director, one assistant hall director, and two current resident assistants. The questions were well thought out, and reasonable. I felt that the initial panel interview was fair.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   View Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Research Associate II
Knoxville, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Tennessee in February 2009.

Interview Details – Went through my background as software engineer and discuss the position. He is a senior manager in the team, and is looking for someone who was up to the latest .Net Framework and owned the experience of publicly demonstrate a new technology. I wasn't using .Net 4.0 at the time so I didn't pass the phone interview, but it was good experience to know what aspect they were looking for on a candidate.

Interview Question – What teaching experience you have in terms of new technology?   Answer Question

Faculty In Engineering Interview

Faculty In Engineering
Chattanooga, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Tennessee in February 2010.

Interview Details – Had an all day interview with faculty and staff. Presentation to faculty, staff and students. There was a phone interview months before I was called for onsight. The faculty is very welcoming and the atmosphere there was great.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my salary, moving package and initial seed money for research

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Tennessee in March 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted letter of application, resume and references, then scheduled on-site interview which took half a day

Interview Questions

Training Manager Interview

Training Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Tennessee in July 2010.

Interview Details – My initial communications were very positive. I was contacted fairly quickly about an interview and that interview took place in a reasonable amount of time. The interview itself probably took about an hour. There were 6 or 7 people on the panel. They were all very nice and welcoming - with one exception. The person who was leaving the position was on the interview panel and she was much more harsh than the others. They asked standard questions so nothing was very difficult. It was just time consuming because there were so many people involved.

When I arrived for my interview, the Executive Director met me and escorted me to the conference room. When we were finished, he escorted me out to the lobby. He was very pleasant.

The office culture seemed a bit formal, but not too rigid. The people were very nice and the dress code was business casual - khaki pants and loafers.

Interview Question – What system do you use for time management, to keep yourself organized.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Tennessee in March 2008.

Interview Details – All communications were professional and the interview was mostly well-organized. The schedule was extremely tight and each day included 10+ interviews (one on one), but it was very similar to other institutions. I was nearly always running behind schedule and on the final interview, I missed my flight home. The culture of the department seemed much more reserved than other places.

Interview Question – What will you do if this approach doesn't work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was very little room for negotiation, the start-up package offered was firm. There was a little room for salary negotiation, but not much.

Worked for University of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!