University of Texas at Austin Interview Questions & Reviews in Austin, TX

2.6

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

very short with panel of 8

Interview Questions
    during counter offer they asked for proof of former salary & when submitted, nothing changed

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
    Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
    My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in February 2013.

When they first called me concerning the position, I wasn't expecting an on-the-spot interview. They asked me about my work history, why I chose to apply with UT Austin, and if I had any Excel and statistical experience. They then offered me a face-to-face interview.

The face-to-face interview consisted of a 30-minute one-on-one interview with the dean, plus a 30-minute panel interview with the rest of the department.

Questions asked:
    -Tell us about yourself and why you applied for this position.
    -Why did you get a master's degree?
    -Tell me about a time you had to handle multiple projects at once. How did you prioritize?
    -What did you like about your former employer?
    -What's your ideal work environment?
    -What do you like to do for fun?
    -What would you bring to the position?
    -What have you been doing since your last job?
    -What are your favorite TV shows?
    -Where do you see yourself in five years?
    -What brought you to Texas?
    -Why are you looking for jobs in Austin rather than Dallas?
    -What other companies have you applied for jobs with?
    -Out of your former jobs, what was your favorite and why?
    -How would your supervisors describe you?
    -How would your colleagues describe you?
    -Would you be able to work effectively in a team environment?

I then had a Skype interview with the few people that weren't at the office the day I interviewed. It lasted 20 minutes.

After the Skype interview, I know they started to do a reference check, but I have not heard anything yet. It's only been one day, though.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected or unusually challenging questions.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Applied through www.hirealonghorn.com, and was notified of interview selection through e-mail. Scheduled a phone interview which lasted for about 30 minutes. Simple questions similar to a behavioral type of interview. "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths?", etc are examples of what you should expect.

Student Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in September 2013.

Meet with the interviewer. Typical questions such as work experience. Not many technical questions. After a while, the interview got more personal and less professional.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions. Just simple work experience questions.   Answer Question
    Recieved an email stating I was offered the job.

Human Resources III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2011.

Most jobs at UT go through the same process - online application (complete every step, even the typing test and spelling test if required) or you will be automatically disqualified. There is a phone screen, followed by the hiring committee panel interview and then a final interview with the team you would actually be working with. Preference is given to University work experience. There is usually a Background Check required and for many positions a 3 year driving record.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are the usual thing - What is your biggest challenge in your previous job. Why do you want to work here. What is your biggest weakness. etc.   View Answer
    With UT there is very little negotiation. Salary approvals go through a lengthy process and getting an increase is very difficult.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in December 2010.

I simply submitted my resume through GURU and received an email from the graduate student. He asked for a simple meet and greet. I was not expecting a full interview. He went through each and every line of my resume and asked me to explain each role and how I can apply those skills to the new position. Make sure the experiences you have listed on your resume relate somehow to the position you want.

Interview Questions
    • 'Please tell me how *insert past position* will help you succeed as a researcher in our lab.'   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase.

ITS Help Desk Student Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Phone interview to pre-screen candidates. Ask you about yourself and a few technical questions mostly dealing with how you would troubleshoot an issue or how to find an IP address, etc. In person interview is you being interviewed by the hiring manager and one full-time employee. It is more technical and also has you role play a call.

Interview Questions
    • How you would you troubleshoot an email that is not working   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Three step process. Applications are reviewed by the University HR office, then all eligible candidates are forwarded to the hiring department. Usually applicants undergo a first round of interviews with a group, and are invited back for a final interview with supervisors. The process can sometimes take months.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with (a certain 'group' of students) before?   View Answer
    ALWAYS negotiate your entry salary. Once your salary is fixed, the opportunities to significantly increase your pay are rare.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in September 2012.

Submitted application through their website. Contacted by HR a few weeks later to set up an interview. Met with director and person who's job I was taking over. 2 weeks later I was contacted for a second interview with additional people the job was working with. I was offered the position a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where there was ambiguity. How did you solve the problem?   Answer Question
    No negotiation with the salary.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!