University of Texas at Austin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Caller Interview

Caller

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Emailed application and resume, got an email back and scheduled a phone interview. Interview was quick, less than 20 minutes, questions about yourself, some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – A specific question about a movie you dislike and how you would convince someone to go watch it because that's basically the job you're applying for, except you're asking for money.   Answer Question

Graduate Coordinator Interview

Graduate Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back within a week. The hiring manager asked when I was available for a Skype interview and we arranged a time. I didn't really know what kinds of questions to prepare for and wasn't given any heads up about who would be present for the interview, etc.

The Skype interview went fairly well. It was the hiring manager (who I'd been corresponding with already and an HR rep). There were some basic questions pertaining to my career history and key aspects of my most recent position. A few random questions such as what was the most recent thing I learned and why. They gave me an opportunity to ask questions and I had a few.

My final question was about the next steps in the hiring process. The hiring manager stated that she unfortunately couldn't give me a good idea of when/what they were doing next as they JUST started the interviewing process. I was fine with that and was prepared to wait a week or more to hear anything. Well, I got an email the next day that said they appreciated my interest but they had HIRED someone for the position... Within one day of apparently just starting the interviewing process! So, my only thoughts are that they must have had an internal candidate who they were pretty set on before they even began interviewing.

Overall it was a positive experience. Both people I spoke with were really nice. I would've appreciated a little more honesty in the hiring process though.

Interview Question – What is something you've learned recently and why.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at University of Texas at Austin

Interview Details – Written application, standardized test scores, undergrad transcripts. Recruitment weekend followed for accepted students

Interview Question – No formal interview; recruitment weekend   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Met with immediate supervisor and dean.

Interview Question – What are you currently reading?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Contacted by PI after having applied for different position for a brief phone interview. In person interview itself consisted of 1:1 meeting with PI, Assistant Director, and other PIs relevant to the project, tour of the facilities, plus "working" lunch. I was also asked to give a ~1 hour research presentation in an open seminar forum.

Interview Question – Given your very different background, why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in February 2013.

Interview Details – When they first called me concerning the position, I wasn't expecting an on-the-spot interview. They asked me about my work history, why I chose to apply with UT Austin, and if I had any Excel and statistical experience. They then offered me a face-to-face interview.

The face-to-face interview consisted of a 30-minute one-on-one interview with the dean, plus a 30-minute panel interview with the rest of the department.

Questions asked:
-Tell us about yourself and why you applied for this position.
-Why did you get a master's degree?
-Tell me about a time you had to handle multiple projects at once. How did you prioritize?
-What did you like about your former employer?
-What's your ideal work environment?
-What do you like to do for fun?
-What would you bring to the position?
-What have you been doing since your last job?
-What are your favorite TV shows?
-Where do you see yourself in five years?
-What brought you to Texas?
-Why are you looking for jobs in Austin rather than Dallas?
-What other companies have you applied for jobs with?
-Out of your former jobs, what was your favorite and why?
-How would your supervisors describe you?
-How would your colleagues describe you?
-Would you be able to work effectively in a team environment?

I then had a Skype interview with the few people that weren't at the office the day I interviewed. It lasted 20 minutes.

After the Skype interview, I know they started to do a reference check, but I have not heard anything yet. It's only been one day, though.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected or unusually challenging questions.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interview Details – Based solely on undergraduate research, GPA and test scores

Interview Question – No real interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Applied through www.hirealonghorn.com, and was notified of interview selection through e-mail. Scheduled a phone interview which lasted for about 30 minutes. Simple questions similar to a behavioral type of interview. "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths?", etc are examples of what you should expect.

Interview Question – What do you know about us?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Associate Interview

Senior Administrative Associate

Interviewed at University of Texas at Austin

Interview Details – UT has a curious mix of go-getters and "dead weight" when it comes to staff. Seasoned line managers who have hired people before still depend on a business manager who coordinates local HR to identify the best candidates. It has been common in the last 10 years for 100 applicants to apply for admin positions, so expect a phone interview before moving forward with two rounds of interviews in person.

Interview Question – A manager once asked me who my favorite superhero was. She was trying to get a sense of my cultural fit with the division depending on the attitude with which I answered. UT's central HR department would call this an irrelevant question at best because their main concern seems to be to avoid lawsuits ("minimize risk"), but I think the aim of the question was worthwhile. At that time, she was simply doing the best she could to assess cultural fit in a place where central HR tries to maintain the semblance of cultural agnosticism.   Answer Question