University of Texas at Austin

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.5

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

1 prelim 1-on-1 interview and 1 group interview. The interview process will differ by department, however. All jobs are applied for over the website, and sometimes additional documentation is required. You have to upload your resume data to the application website, but also have the option of attaching a PDF.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember, because it was a long time ago now. It was some standard inteview questions, such as whether you can work in a team and where you see yourself in 5 years. Now I'm here well beyond 5 years and in such a static environment that my boss had to retire for me to advance. Advancement is difficult here in general.   Answer Question
    No room to negotiate--it's essentially a state job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

If you are admitted to grad school its basically a shoo in but you are really being interviewed for your group (if you are going for natural sciences). They wine and dine you to make you feel special but its really an evaluation period.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

very short with panel of 8

Interview Questions
    during counter offer they asked for proof of former salary & when submitted, nothing changed

Caller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Emailed application and resume, got an email back and scheduled a phone interview. Interview was quick, less than 20 minutes, questions about yourself, some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • A specific question about a movie you dislike and how you would convince someone to go watch it because that's basically the job you're applying for, except you're asking for money.   Answer Question

Graduate Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

I applied online and heard back within a week. The hiring manager asked when I was available for a Skype interview and we arranged a time. I didn't really know what kinds of questions to prepare for and wasn't given any heads up about who would be present for the interview, etc.

The Skype interview went fairly well. It was the hiring manager (who I'd been corresponding with already and an HR rep). There were some basic questions pertaining to my career history and key aspects of my most recent position. A few random questions such as what was the most recent thing I learned and why. They gave me an opportunity to ask questions and I had a few.

My final question was about the next steps in the hiring process. The hiring manager stated that she unfortunately couldn't give me a good idea of when/what they were doing next as they JUST started the interviewing process. I was fine with that and was prepared to wait a week or more to hear anything. Well, I got an email the next day that said they appreciated my interest but they had HIRED someone for the position... Within one day of apparently just starting the interviewing process! So, my only thoughts are that they must have had an internal candidate who they were pretty set on before they even began interviewing.

Overall it was a positive experience. Both people I spoke with were really nice. I would've appreciated a little more honesty in the hiring process though.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Written application, standardized test scores, undergrad transcripts. Recruitment weekend followed for accepted students

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Met with immediate supervisor and dean.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Contacted by PI after having applied for different position for a brief phone interview. In person interview itself consisted of 1:1 meeting with PI, Assistant Director, and other PIs relevant to the project, tour of the facilities, plus "working" lunch. I was also asked to give a ~1 hour research presentation in an open seminar forum.

Interview Questions
    • Given your very different background, why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
    Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
    My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Based solely on undergraduate research, GPA and test scores

No negotiations