University of Texas at Austin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Applied through www.hirealonghorn.com, and was notified of interview selection through e-mail. Scheduled a phone interview which lasted for about 30 minutes. Simple questions similar to a behavioral type of interview. "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths?", etc are examples of what you should expect.

Interview Question – What do you know about us?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Associate Interview

Senior Administrative Associate

Interviewed at University of Texas at Austin

Interview Details – UT has a curious mix of go-getters and "dead weight" when it comes to staff. Seasoned line managers who have hired people before still depend on a business manager who coordinates local HR to identify the best candidates. It has been common in the last 10 years for 100 applicants to apply for admin positions, so expect a phone interview before moving forward with two rounds of interviews in person.

Interview Question – A manager once asked me who my favorite superhero was. She was trying to get a sense of my cultural fit with the division depending on the attitude with which I answered. UT's central HR department would call this an irrelevant question at best because their main concern seems to be to avoid lawsuits ("minimize risk"), but I think the aim of the question was worthwhile. At that time, she was simply doing the best she could to assess cultural fit in a place where central HR tries to maintain the semblance of cultural agnosticism.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Student Technician Interview

Student Technician
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in September 2013.

Interview Details – Meet with the interviewer. Typical questions such as work experience. Not many technical questions. After a while, the interview got more personal and less professional.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions. Just simple work experience questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recieved an email stating I was offered the job.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – I contacted the team lead directly. We had a phone conversation before in-person meeting. As my background was fairly matching the group expectations, I had the offer immediately after the in-person meeting

Negotiation Details – As the team leader made it clear that this position would not pay more than what was offered, the negotiation ended at that point.

Student Position Interview

Student Position

I applied online and interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Your future supervisor almost always interviews you. Interviews are usually in their office and very laid back. Interviews usually end with a tour of the office/lab that you will be working in.

Interview Question – Very standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

Administrative Associate Interview

Administrative Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – One panel interview. From start to finish (application to interview), the process took about a month.

Interview Question – Each interview panelist utilized behavioral interviewing questions.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2013.

Interview Details – One-round phone interview

Interview Question – Asking very detailed about your course projects, since the PI are essentially university professors   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me two positions and let me choose one.

Human Resources III Interview

Human Resources III
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2011.

Interview Details – Most jobs at UT go through the same process - online application (complete every step, even the typing test and spelling test if required) or you will be automatically disqualified. There is a phone screen, followed by the hiring committee panel interview and then a final interview with the team you would actually be working with. Preference is given to University work experience. There is usually a Background Check required and for many positions a 3 year driving record.

Interview Question – Questions are the usual thing - What is your biggest challenge in your previous job. Why do you want to work here. What is your biggest weakness. etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – With UT there is very little negotiation. Salary approvals go through a lengthy process and getting an increase is very difficult.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Texas at Austin